American Airlines discloses personal data

Old April 12th, 2004, 03:26 AM
john

Default American Airlines discloses personal data

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 09:36:33 -0700, "Matt"
wrote:

"nobody" wrote in message

snipped
I think you're views are a little tainted from your hatred of Bush.
Americans will use their right to vote to elect Bush for 4 more years....the
thought of that should make your head explode.

Matt

Nowhere in this thread did NOBODY bring up a hatred of Bush.

But I do discern that you are an apologist for Bush andn his
administration and thier actions.
Old April 12th, 2004, 06:21 AM
mtravelkay

Matt wrote:

I don't have a problem with the government and airlines using an itenerary
and other factors to determine if a passenger
should get extra screening or not. If a passenger shows up at the Beirut
Airport and pays cash for a one way ticket to Washington DC, then I'm sorry,
but that guy should get some extra screening. Obviously you don't agree, so
we will just have to disagree on that point.

What is all this issue about cash purchases of tickets??? Do you think
it is that difficult for terrorist organizations with millions of
dollars to be able to get a Visa card that anyone in the US can get by
opening a checking account? The stupidity of it all. I had a flight
cancellation for SNA-SJC 2 weeks ago on AA, so I bought a one way ticket
on Southwest. I paid with an AMEX card. Guess what... Yep.. I got a
boarding pass from WN marked SSSS for extra screening.. The last time I
had to buy a one way ticket on WN... same thing.. Why? But let's get
back to the Beirut guy... If the guy has already flown into the US, what
is this concern about additional screening IN THE US? How does the
government getting my flight info for traveling from SJC-SNA have
anything to do with tracking people flying in from Beirut? I seem to be
missing that connection. What it is?

Old April 12th, 2004, 06:24 AM
mtravelkay

Matt wrote:

"mtravelkay" wrote in message
om...

The government doesn't have a right to
gather data on all of its citizens for the purpose of finding someone
that might commit a crime. They are free to look at my records if they
have a reasonable reason to suspect me of criminal activity.

Of course they do. Take taxes for example. Doesn't the government gather
data from every citizen regarding income and witholdings for the sole
purpose of making sure you don't commit tax evasion? Otherwise the IRS
would just have to trust us to send in the correct amount and they could not
obtain our financial records unless they had a reason to suspect we weren't
paying the correct amount.

We aren't talking about making sure I pay tex on my reported earnings,
we are talking about a government that cares about what library books
you check out.

Or how about when you go to get a drivers license and they finger print you?
Why do they do this? In case you commit a crime!!

They do it to tell one person for another. You know.. For ID. A DL is
used for ID. They took my footprint at birth, was that in case I
commited a crime?

It's the exact same thing and I'm sure there are many more examples of it,
these are just two I could think of off top of my head.

Matt

Old April 12th, 2004, 06:27 AM
mtravelkay

Matt wrote:

Look, I admit that this all sounds a little Big Brotherish, and I'd prefer
to live in a world where all this information wasn't tracked, but I can
understand the need to collect some basic information on travellers.

What is the need in fighting terrorism for them to collect data on all
the people that fly from SJC-SNA, among other places.

Old April 12th, 2004, 06:31 AM
mtravelkay

Matt wrote:

Japanese detention camps....don't care. Sure it was a bad thing to have
done, but civil liberties some times have to take a back seat to national
security.

So, you are in favor in putting US citizens in prison camp if we ever go
to war against the country of their ancestry? The US Govrernment has
officially called this a mistake, and rightfully so.

Old April 12th, 2004, 06:52 AM
Matt

wrote:

"nobody" wrote in message

snipped
I think you're views are a little tainted from your hatred of Bush.
Americans will use their right to vote to elect Bush for 4 more

years....the
thought of that should make your head explode.

Matt

Nowhere in this thread did NOBODY bring up a hatred of Bush.

But I do discern that you are an apologist for Bush andn his
administration and thier actions.

When you have posters using terms like "regime" and calling the British a
"loyal terrier" it's kind of inferred.

Matt

Old April 12th, 2004, 06:56 AM
Matt

I can imagine extreme circumstances where I might not have a problem with
internment camps.

Matt

"mtravelkay" wrote in message
. com...

Old April 12th, 2004, 07:00 AM
Matt

Well what if the plan from SJC to SNA blows out of the sky? Don't you think
it might be nice to know what passengers were on that plane, and what hotel
they stayed at the night before, and if they checked in with someone else
that's now on a plane from SJC to JFK?

Bottom line is I can give reasonable examples of how collecting this data
can be of use. I'm still waiting for you or "nobody" to come up with a
reasonable example of how collecting this data can harm you.

........still waiting....

Matt

Old April 12th, 2004, 07:04 AM
john

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 23:00:36 -0700, "Matt"
wrote:

Well what if the plan from SJC to SNA blows out of the sky? Don't you think
it might be nice to know what passengers were on that plane, and what hotel
they stayed at the night before, and if they checked in with someone else
that's now on a plane from SJC to JFK?

Bottom line is I can give reasonable examples of how collecting this data
can be of use. I'm still waiting for you or "nobody" to come up with a
reasonable example of how collecting this data can harm you.

.......still waiting....

Matt

Hell, if you read all the messages from NOBODY and still didn't see
examples that would have convinced you then you are beyond help.
Old April 12th, 2004, 07:04 AM
Matt

Matt wrote:

[...]

Funny.....you get all worked up about the government tracking your library
books, but you don't care that they keep track of how much money you earn,
how you spend your money, how many dependents you have, etc. Doesn't make
sense.

Or how about when you go to get a drivers license and they finger print

you?
Why do they do this? In case you commit a crime!!

They do it to tell one person for another. You know.. For ID. A DL is
used for ID. They took my footprint at birth, was that in case I
commited a crime?

Again, you don't seem to mind that the government has a database with your
fingerprint, but they look to see what library book your checking
out.....that's where you draw the line???.....I have to laugh.

Matt