Purchasing European currency

Old June 8th, 2006, 04:22 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Purchasing European currency

Hello:

Which web site would you recommend for purchasing foreign currency? I
will be arriving
in Europe the second week of August. To be more exact: Denmark,
Germany, Austria
and Greece.

I'd like to have some cash on me when I arrive for such incidental
expenses as cab fare,
quick snacks, etc..

So naturally I will be needing Danish Kroners (did I spell it right?)
and Euros. What would be
a good amount to start with?

Thanks for any input.

Carlos

Old June 8th, 2006, 05:41 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

carlosjm wrote:

Which web site would you recommend for purchasing foreign currency? I

None of them. Sites like ordercurrency.com charge a stiff premium for
such a service. No banks in your area that can do a little forex?

will be arriving
in Europe the second week of August. To be more exact: Denmark,
Germany, Austria
and Greece.

Good. Assuming you'll be arriving at an airport, all you have to do
is withdraw money from an ATM. This assumes that you have a bank
card that can be used worldwide (PLUS system, Cirrus, Maestro, that
sort of thing).

I'd like to have some cash on me when I arrive for such incidental
expenses as cab fare,
quick snacks, etc..

It's understandable, but there will be ATMs handy to take care of that.
No worries (unless the system is hosed and the ATM refuses to give you
currency, which does happen on occasion).

So naturally I will be needing Danish Kroners (did I spell it right?)
and Euros. What would be
a good amount to start with?

Depends. What do you plan to do? At which airports or other points
of entry will you be arriving?
--
dgs
Old June 8th, 2006, 07:49 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

"carlosjm" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello:

Which web site would you recommend for purchasing foreign currency? I
will be arriving
in Europe the second week of August. To be more exact: Denmark,
Germany, Austria
and Greece.

I'd like to have some cash on me when I arrive for such incidental
expenses as cab fare,
quick snacks, etc..

So naturally I will be needing Danish Kroners (did I spell it right?)
and Euros. What would be
a good amount to start with?

Thanks for any input.

First of all, what country are you starting from? The answer will be very
different if you are starting from Australia than if you are starting from
Argentina.

But anyway, just go to your local bank and withdraw about EUR100 or so. I
usually try to have enough cash to get me a taxi from the airport and
something to drink. You can withdraw the rest from an ATM.

Old June 8th, 2006, 08:47 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

"carlosjm" wrote:

Hello:

Which web site would you recommend for purchasing foreign currency? I
will be arriving
in Europe the second week of August. To be more exact: Denmark,
Germany, Austria
and Greece.

I'd like to have some cash on me when I arrive for such incidental
expenses as cab fare,
quick snacks, etc..

So naturally I will be needing Danish Kroners (did I spell it right?)
and Euros. What would be
a good amount to start with?

Thanks for any input.

Carlos

If you are flying into Copenhagen, you can change money at the
airport. Plenty of ATMīs as well as banks there. I think it would be
quite 'expensive' for you, to take out Danish kroner beforehand. The
cabs take creditcards.
--
Kristian
Old June 8th, 2006, 08:50 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

"dgs" wrote in message ...
I'd like to have some cash on me when I arrive for such incidental
expenses as cab fare,
quick snacks, etc..

It's understandable, but there will be ATMs handy to take care of that.
No worries (unless the system is hosed and the ATM refuses to give you
currency, which does happen on occasion).

In which case get a cash advance on your credit card from one of the foreign exchange
booths. This'll cost a few % but you'd only use it in the unlikely event that the
whole ATM system is down.

Also cabs often take credit cards these days anyway.

--
Andy

Old June 8th, 2006, 05:56 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Thu, 8 Jun 2006 08:50:29 +0100, "Andy Pandy"
wrote:

"dgs" wrote in message ...
I'd like to have some cash on me when I arrive for such incidental
expenses as cab fare,
quick snacks, etc..

It's understandable, but there will be ATMs handy to take care of that.
No worries (unless the system is hosed and the ATM refuses to give you
currency, which does happen on occasion).

In which case get a cash advance on your credit card from one of the foreign exchange
booths. This'll cost a few % but you'd only use it in the unlikely event that the
whole ATM system is down.

Better yet, take some fifty dollar bills and convert them at
for-ex booths if you really have to.

Old June 8th, 2006, 07:57 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

dgs wrote:
carlosjm wrote:

[...]

I will be arriving first at Copenhagen Airport. My second stop is a
train ride to Berlin, then on to Frankfurt. From Frankfurt I go to
Vienna. From Vienna I take a flight to Athens. Then a ferry ride to
Mykonos.
--
dgs

Old June 8th, 2006, 08:01 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Mark Hewitt wrote:
"carlosjm" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello:

Which web site would you recommend for purchasing foreign currency? I
will be arriving
in Europe the second week of August. To be more exact: Denmark,
Germany, Austria
and Greece.

I'd like to have some cash on me when I arrive for such incidental
expenses as cab fare,
quick snacks, etc..

So naturally I will be needing Danish Kroners (did I spell it right?)
and Euros. What would be
a good amount to start with?

Thanks for any input.

First of all, what country are you starting from? The answer will be very
different if you are starting from Australia than if you are starting from
Argentina.

I will be starting in Denmark, then off to Germany, Austrial and Greece
in that order.

Old June 8th, 2006, 08:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"carlosjm" wrote in
oups.com:

I will be starting in Denmark, then off to Germany, Austrial and
Greece in that order.

You can get krones (pronounced "crowns") at the airport. Cabs in Denwmark
do take credit cards so if you can't find the ATM wave plastic in the
driver's face, he/she will gladly stop at an ATM for you if you ask.

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

Old June 8th, 2006, 10:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Which web site would you recommend for purchasing foreign currency?

No web sites. You get the best rates from ATMs, and you don't want to
carry lots of cash on you.

I will be arriving in Europe the second week of August. To be more exact: Denmark,
Germany, Austria and Greece.

You can find ATMs everywhere in all of those countries, so no problem.
It's not like you're going to remote parts of Moldova or Kazakhstan
where you wouldn't have easy access to ATMs.

I'd like to have some cash on me when I arrive for such incidental
expenses as cab fare, quick snacks, etc..

All of the airports and train stations have ATMs. (do you sense a
theme here?)

So naturally I will be needing Danish Kroners (did I spell it right?)
and Euros. What would be a good amount to start with?

If you insist, take a hundred dollars to your local bank and change it
to Euros.