Cruise Material

Old July 10th, 2007, 08:11 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

Default Cruise Material

I have found additional boxes with information about cruises my mom
went on in the 60s, 70s and 80s. Sometimes she saved everything -
menus and all other paperwork given by the ship. Sometimes now. What
would be a good thing to do with this material.
Old July 10th, 2007, 09:01 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
LeeNY

On Jul 10, 3:11 pm, Rosalie B. wrote:
I have found additional boxes with information about cruises my mom
went on in the 60s, 70s and 80s. Sometimes she saved everything -
menus and all other paperwork given by the ship. Sometimes now. What
would be a good thing to do with this material.

If you're not interested in saving it, maybe sell it on eBay? Check
over there and see if there are similar items available, just to get
an idea of whether or not there's even a market for it. There's a
collector for everything - I wouldn't be surprised if someone was very
interested in some of the stuff, especially if the ship name/logo,
cruise line name/logo, etc. is included on the papers.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Lee

Old July 11th, 2007, 01:49 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
clint

Throw it away! No one wants it and sertainly no one in there right mind
would pay for the old trash!

Old July 11th, 2007, 02:26 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

LeeNY wrote:

On Jul 10, 3:11 pm, Rosalie B. wrote:
I have found additional boxes with information about cruises my mom
went on in the 60s, 70s and 80s. Sometimes she saved everything -
menus and all other paperwork given by the ship. Sometimes not. What
would be a good thing to do with this material.

If you're not interested in saving it, maybe sell it on eBay? Check
over there and see if there are similar items available, just to get
an idea of whether or not there's even a market for it. There's a
collector for everything - I wouldn't be surprised if someone was very
interested in some of the stuff, especially if the ship name/logo,
cruise line name/logo, etc. is included on the papers.

Let us know what you decide to do.

I don't have time to sell it on ebay. My house is stuffed with stuff
from my mom's house that goes to this or that person or organization.
I sent the last box I found to someone (he paid for postage), but I
didn't hear what he thought of it.

I guess what I'd really like is for someone to ask for it and I send
it to them, and they pay for the postage and then if they sell it to
give me 5 or 10% of their net.

Old July 11th, 2007, 04:44 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Nonnymus[_5_]

Let us know what you decide to do.
I don't have time to sell it on ebay. My house is stuffed with stuff
from my mom's house that goes to this or that person or organization.
I sent the last box I found to someone (he paid for postage), but I
didn't hear what he thought of it.

I guess what I'd really like is for someone to ask for it and I send
it to them, and they pay for the postage and then if they sell it to
give me 5 or 10% of their net.

Consider writing a library to see if they know of libraries with this
type of a collection. Then, send it there. It'd be a shame to let this
type of material just be lost.

--
---Nonnymus---
You don’t stand any taller by
Old July 11th, 2007, 08:59 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
a.a.t.

Rosalie:

There is an online store that does deal in artifacts from passenger
ships, everything from postcards and menus to silverware and
furniture.........

Go to www.maritimematters.com

Then, as you scroll down their home page, you will see "NAUTIQUES"
the online nautical antiques store.

You could communicate with them, tell them about your mother's
collection of cruise ship memorabilia, and perhaps they will be
interested in it.

I have gone to that site several times, as I wanted a souvenir from
past passenger ships that my parents, grandparents, and other relatives
traveled on.

ANGELICA

Old July 11th, 2007, 12:29 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
LeeNY

On Jul 10, 9:26 pm, Rosalie B. wrote:
LeeNY wrote:
[...]

There are a lot of places around that do all the ebay selling/shipping/
money collecting for you. I think it's a great business, and is ideal
for folks like you who seem to want to profit from the stuff without
making much effort. Not sure what their cut would be, but I suspect
they'll probably be on the 5-10% end, and you'd get the bigger chunk
of the profits.

Lee

Old July 11th, 2007, 01:43 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

LeeNY wrote:
[...]

I have done selling on ebay so that's how I know how much work it is,
which is why I'd be happy with 5-10%.

What you may not understand is that it has taken my sister and my four
children and my two nieces and one nephew and their spouses and many
auction house personnel of four auction houses 15 months to clear out
my mom's house, and we still have about three truckloads of stuff to
clear out before we go to closing at the end of the month.

I'm mostly interested in seeing that family heirlooms, pictures and
correspondence don't get sent to auction by mistake so everything has
to be individually examined. Just this week, one of the auction
people found a painting by my grandmother in the cellar that we had no
idea was there.

Getting the stuff packaged up to mail or ship to people is an
operation that takes time. I've probably more than 50 packages of
books and pictures and artifacts to non-family people that I knew my
mom wanted to have them and my sister has done similar.

She and dad were also photographers, and I have boxes and boxes of
slides and pictures that they took.

I tried three different ebay sell-for-you people. Only one of them
would come to the house, and he took one look and was so overwhelmed
that I never heard from him again.

My mom saved everything. She often said that everything she had was
collected by someone and that's the truth.

She also had almost every piece of correspondence - not only from her
children and grandchildren and my dad, but from her parents and
grandparents. She had letters from my grandfather's mother to my
grandfather and his mother died when he was 14 (before 1900). She had
letters from her mother to her and from her to her mother when she was
in college (1928 to 1931). She had letters from her grandfather to
her mother. She had the estate settlement letters from two of her
aunts and one uncle in addition to her parents and my dad. She had
several copies of all of the papers that my dad published (he did
cancer research) in addition to the one volume of his research papers
that she had already had bound.

Old July 11th, 2007, 03:57 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Becca

a.a.t. wrote:

Rosalie:

There is an online store that does deal in artifacts from passenger
ships, everything from postcards and menus to silverware and
furniture.........

Go to www.maritimematters.com

Then, as you scroll down their home page, you will see "NAUTIQUES"
the online nautical antiques store.

You could communicate with them, tell them about your mother's
collection of cruise ship memorabilia, and perhaps they will be
interested in it.

I have gone to that site several times, as I wanted a souvenir from
past passenger ships that my parents, grandparents, and other relatives
traveled on.

ANGELICA

This is an excellent idea, Angelica. Lke Nonny said, I would hate to
see these items be discarded.

Rosalie, for other things you want to get rid of, join the Freecycle in
your area. People will pick up whatever items you want to discard.

Becca