Brits don't speak foreign languages

Old December 5th, 2011, 09:02 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

Default lingua anglica Brits don't speak foreign languages

On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 16:14:02 +0000 (UTC), Erilar wrote in post :
:

I don't know about them, but when I was first studying in Germany, a friend
who was German but had just returned from a year studying in Scotland and I
had a tendency to do that at times, often to the amusement of some of the
other foreign and German students who shared a kitchen with us. It reached
the point after over a year there that I had a tendency to use German words
when talking in English.

That happens with me and anyone who speaks both English and German pretty
well. We always mix and match.

--
Tim C.
Old December 5th, 2011, 09:55 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Josef Kleber

Default Brits don't speak foreign languages

Am 05.12.2011 09:59, schrieb Martin:
and Wallander is another. I've never seen subtitled foreign programmes
on German, French, Italian or Spanish made for home consumption.

You have to watch arte after midnight! There are sometimes movies
broadcasted in "OmU" (Originalton mit Untertitel)

Josef
Old December 5th, 2011, 10:58 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin

If it Irish is close to dead, why do they put up those confusing
road signs in Irish?

Similar reasons to why the US labels its money in Latin.

Old December 5th, 2011, 12:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Josef Kleber

Am 05.12.2011 11:52, schrieb Martin:
On Mon, 05 Dec 2011 10:55:53 +0100, Josef Kleber
wrote:

Am 05.12.2011 09:59, schrieb Martin:
and Wallander is another. I've never seen subtitled foreign programmes
on German, French, Italian or Spanish made for home consumption.

You have to watch arte after midnight! There are sometimes movies
broadcasted in "OmU" (Originalton mit Untertitel)

Thanks, Josef! I'll try with my PVR. I am not staying up after
midnight just in case. :-)

When the programmes are subtitled are the subtitles available in both
French and German?

No. The subtitels are part of the picture (analog). I assume the french
version of arte has french subtitles if available. Technically, arte(FR)
and arte(DE) are two different stations. I havn't checked if the
subtitles (both german and french) are also available as "digital"
subtitles in the digital versions. I wouldn't bet on it.

Josef
Old December 5th, 2011, 12:55 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Josef Kleber

Am 05.12.2011 13:39, schrieb Martin:

wrote:

Am 05.12.2011 09:59, schrieb Martin:
and Wallander is another. I've never seen subtitled foreign programmes
on German, French, Italian or Spanish made for home consumption.

You have to watch arte after midnight! There are sometimes movies
broadcasted in "OmU" (Originalton mit Untertitel)

Thanks, Josef! I'll try with my PVR. I am not staying up after
midnight just in case. :-)

When the programmes are subtitled are the subtitles available in both
French and German?

No. The subtitels are part of the picture (analog). I assume the french
version of arte has french subtitles if available. Technically, arte(FR)
and arte(DE) are two different stations. I havn't checked if the
subtitles (both german and french) are also available as "digital"
subtitles in the digital versions. I wouldn't bet on it.

I assume that in NL we get Arte (DE). I can select the audio language.

Yes, it's the same here. I can select the language, but think arte(DE)
and arte(FR) have different programming. Unfortunaly, there are no
subtitled programmes in the next days.

BTW, while checking for subtitles, i found out that there will be an
"OmU" movie tonight:

23:35 Winterday, love drama, Norway, 2007

anothet one:

09.12 00:35 Der Killer-Alligator, ecological horror ;-) , USA, 1980

Josef
Old December 5th, 2011, 12:59 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton[_3_]

On 12/5/2011 12:30 AM, Orval Fairbairn wrote:
In ,

On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 16:24:04 +0000 (UTC), Erilar
wrote:

William wrote:
On 02/12/11 20:42, Erilar wrote:
William wrote:
On 01/12/11 19:00, David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) wrote:
.

I never claimed such a thing. I wonder if learning English in school
did
you any good.

Probably not.

People who are native speakers of English do not "learn English in
school".
They may "learn" a different accent, but that's it.

Ah, but I was taught 'English' in school.

The class tends to be called that, true, as if it were a foreign tongue,
but it's more study and correction of than "learning" in the sense of
learning another language.
You said
"They may "learn" a different accent, but that's it."

I learnt grammar& spelling in English lessons at school. Nobody
taught accents.

No one teaches regional accents, but many children come to school with very
pronounced ones.

Tell me about it! About 25 years ago we visited suffolk and could not
understand the dialect! It was a far cry from standard "BBC" English!

It does not always take a long time to become accustomed to a different
accent in Britain. When I first came to Glasgow, from Oban 90 odd miles
away, I could only understand about half what was said in the street
but, within a week, my ear became attuned to the local speech.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Old December 5th, 2011, 01:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Josef Kleber

Am 05.12.2011 13:55, schrieb Josef Kleber:
23:35 Winterday, love drama, Norway, 2007

s/day/land/

Josef
Old December 5th, 2011, 04:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
JohnT[_8_]

"Jack Campin" wrote in message
If it Irish is close to dead, why do they put up those confusing
road signs in Irish?

Similar reasons to why the US labels its money in Latin.

And why do Americans have Super Bowl XLVI?
--
JohnT

Old December 5th, 2011, 05:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Martin wrote:

wrote:

William Black wrote:
On 02/12/11 20:42, Erilar wrote:
William wrote:
[...]

Many leave school with their regional accents intact.

Many can by then, however, also speak something closer to what was
emphasized in school if it's to their advantage 8-)
--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old December 6th, 2011, 12:28 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
irwell

On Mon, 5 Dec 2011 16:34:51 -0000, JohnT wrote:

"Jack Campin" wrote in message
If it Irish is close to dead, why do they put up those confusing
road signs in Irish?

Similar reasons to why the US labels its money in Latin.

And why do Americans have Super Bowl XLVI?
--

Or the BBC using MMXII?