Brits don't speak foreign languages

Old December 8th, 2011, 06:19 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge 131

Default lingua anglica Brits don't speak foreign languages

Poor irwell, try again :
honni soit qui mal y pense.
Do you know what ypu're typing ?

"Irwell" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion :

On Tue, 6 Dec 2011 18:36:26 -0600, Dan Stephenson wrote:

I do think it is interesting that the British motto is in a language
tracing back to the Norman invasion.

Honi soit qui maly y pense.

Old December 8th, 2011, 03:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Markku Grönroos[_2_]

Default Brits don't speak foreign languages

On 2011-12-04 19:27:45 -0600, Erilar said:

No one teaches regional accents, but many children come to school
with very
pronounced ones.

In all my European travels, the most difficult English for me to
understand was that spoken by the taxi driver taking me from Bath to
the Bristol airport. I think it is fascinating, how such a small
country can have such diverse and pronounced accents.

LOL! You remind me of my last trip to Brussels (which involved changing
planes at Heathrow, meaning a transfer between terminals). Since I have
difficulty walking the distances, I generally request a wheelchair. The
English of the porter operating it for me was pretty much
incomprehensible, leading me to ask where he was from. "London" was the
reply!

In late 1980's I was standing at a S-bahn station in a suburb of Munich.
An elderly couple met a younger couple and they had a small chat. Then
the old bloke (US American I assume) praised the fluent English of the
young lad and asked where he is from. He was from Boston.
Old December 8th, 2011, 08:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Martin wrote:
On Wed, 7 Dec 2011 19:30:58 +0000 (UTC), Erilar
wrote:

Martin wrote:
On Tue, 6 Dec 2011 03:50:20 -0800 (PST), Surreyman
wrote:

I once had to, literally, 'translate', between my Managing Director
from Paisley, Scotland and Americans at a business meeting in
Pennsylvania.

I have twice translated between Frenchmen speaking reasonable English
and American traffic cops. One Florida traffic cop congratulated me on
my knowledge of French.

"Reasonable" English spoken by Frenchmen was probably still too French in
intonation for the Floridian.

The other time it happened was in California.

Same could apply.
--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old December 9th, 2011, 01:30 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

On 2011-12-07 12:34:19 -0600, Wolfgang Schwanke said:

Dan Stephenson wrote in

I have heard of German being very different from one side of
the country to the other,

The most extreme dialects are Swiss German on one end of the scale, and
Low German - the dialect spoken on the North Sea/Baltic Sea coasts - on
the other end. They are absolutely incomprehensible to each other, but
both are considered dialects of German.

Do all the people know High German, to inter-communicate?

Still, given a national television presence, I would have thought that
would smooth out the language differences.
--
Dan Stephenson
http://web.mac.com/stepheda