Eastern Usa- Canada

Old February 10th, 2008, 11:54 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
max11

Default Eastern Usa- Canada

On 9 Feb, 02:38, (Mark Brader) wrote:
"Max":

I'm planning a travel of 4-5 weeks (from May 4th to June 6th or
13th).

I'll just point out that Monday, May 19, will be a holiday in Canada
(Victoria Day) while the next Monday, May 26, will be a holiday in the US
(Memorial Day). So the kind of roads and hotels that people use for
weekend trips will be particularly busy (not only on the holidays but
also the whole weekend), and things like banks and post offices and
some stores will be closed. On the other hand, places that business
travelers go will be less busy.

Victoria Day is a traditional fireworks day in some provinces, including
Ontario, and you may be able to find a public fireworks show if you'd
like to watch one.

What kind of holiday are these? Besides the fireworks, is there
anything of interesting?

Old February 10th, 2008, 12:02 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
max11

On 9 Feb, 17:55, wrote:
On Feb 9, 10:11 am, max11 wrote:

Ottawa is definitely a larger city with more going on thanQuebec.
You would have to tell us more of your interests for us to be able to
really say if you should visit Ottawa orQuebec.

I'm 28yo, I like to visit cities, walking on the streets (even if I
know spaces are bigger than European cities,so it's harder) to know
places, to breath the place air: I tkink this kind of approach takes
at least one week for each city. I like sometimes to visit museums,
but not many in few days and they are often so bigger that they take
at least one day, and I become bored because I need time to enjoy
them.
I like to see monuments, big architectures, big squares and the city
atmospheare.

Out of the four cities Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec, I think you
will like Montreal the best. I find it's interesting to walk the
streets in Montreal in any direction. There is a huge variety of
architecture and the city is very lively.

I would still recommend Ottawa over Quebec, because you can walk along
the Rideau Canal and also along the Ottawa River. The Parliament
buildings are fairly monumental--better than the Quebec National
Assembly I think. There are also monuments like the Tomb of the
Unknown Soldier. Because Ottawa is the capital of Canada, there are
many public institutions and some monuments (Canada is not a really
monument-crazy place).

So I will go to Niagara from Toronto.

Now, having 40 days, I have more journey days,
1-I could go both Ottawa and Quebec? or
2-or stay more days in some cities I will like more
3-even go to New Orleans, if it is worth it
ANy advice on the days?

New York 8-10
Boston 3
Montreal 4
Ottawa/quebec 2
Toronto 3
Niagara Falls 1
-flight-
Chicago 4
-flight-
Philadelphia 2
Washington 2-3

Old February 10th, 2008, 12:05 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
max11

On 9 Feb, 17:55, wrote:
On Feb 9, 10:11 am, max11 wrote:

[...]

2-or stay more days in some cities I will like more, even doing a day
trip (for example to the Boston area)
3-even go to New Orleans, if it is worth it
ANy advice on the days?

New York 8-10
Boston 3
Montreal 4-5
Ottawa/quebec 2
Toronto 3
Niagara Falls 1
-flight-
Chicago 4
-flight-
Philadelphia 2
Washington 2-3

Old February 10th, 2008, 12:08 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
max11

On 10 Feb, 01:33, (Mark Brader) wrote:
"Max":

And Philadelphia is better from Ny or DC?

It's closer to New York. There are three choices of train service,
all using the same tracks, depending on your preference for higher
speed or lower cost. Amtrak has Acela Express trains scheduled to take
about 1 hour and 10 minutes, and Regional trains scheduled for about
1 hour 30 minutes. Of course, they are not guaranteed to be on time.
Or the cheap way by train is that the suburban train systems of the two
cities meet at Trenton, so you can go that way with a change of train
(New Jersey Transit, then SEPTA), taking 3 hours or more depending on
the connection. (These trains would have less comfortable seats and
no refreshments. I don't know if you have to go into the station at
Trenton to buy another ticket.)

From DC you have the two Amtrak choices, taking about 1 hour 35 minutes
for the Acela Express or 2 hours by Regional train.

On 9 Feb, 17:55, wrote:
On Feb 9, 10:11 am, max11 wrote:

[...]

Thank you, so I will go to Niagara from Toronto, and I will decide how
go to Philadelphya depending on the flight fares from Chicago to there
or DC.

Any advice on my plane in the other post?
Old February 11th, 2008, 01:31 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mark Brader

Mark Brader:
I'll just point out that Monday, May 19, will be a holiday in Canada
(Victoria Day) while the next Monday, May 26, will be a holiday in the US
(Memorial Day). ...

"Max":
What kind of holiday are these?

Mostly, a day off work in the spring. Memorial Day is also a day for
remembrance of military people killed in action.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "This is what customers do: they invent everything
Old February 11th, 2008, 01:41 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith

Mark Brader wrote:

Mark Brader:
I'll just point out that Monday, May 19, will be a holiday in Canada
(Victoria Day) while the next Monday, May 26, will be a holiday in the US
(Memorial Day). ...

"Max":
What kind of holiday are these?

Mostly, a day off work in the spring. Memorial Day is also a day for
remembrance of military people killed in action.

When I was a kid it was Victoria Day or, more commonly, Firecracker Day. These
days it is more commonly referred to as the May 2-4 weekend, the weekend that
people go away camping or to the cottage, or stay home and drink cases of beer.

Old February 12th, 2008, 02:34 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Smiles

Alamo normally does not have a drop off fee but they may have a border
fee because you can not leave a US car in Canada and vis versa thats why
most do not allow it Check before you get caught

Keith Willshaw wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Keith Willshaw wrote:
"Mark Brader" wrote in message
J. Clarke:
To be perfectly honest, this is one time when it seems to me to
make
sense to just rent a car in Boston and drive to Quebec. The
travel
time's about the same as flying and the cost including gas for a
one
way rental is about the same as the air fare and there's some
"picturesque" country in between.
I haven't tried it, but it might not be possible to rent one-way
from
the US to Canada these days.
Even if you can there's probably a hefty dropoff fee.

Alamo is showing 120.88 total for one day pick up in Boston, drop off
in Quebec. No mention of a dropoff fee. This is less than half the
air fare.

Thats a very good deal.

Keith

Old February 12th, 2008, 03:03 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jochen Kriegerowski[_2_]

"Smiles" schrieb

Alamo normally does not have a drop off fee but they may have a border
fee because you can not leave a US car in Canada and vis versa thats why
most do not allow it Check before you get caught

Since when is that?
October 6, 2001 I rented a car in Toronto, from Alamo, which had Florida
license plates.

Jochen from Germany
Old February 12th, 2008, 03:12 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith

Jochen Kriegerowski wrote:

Since when is that?
October 6, 2001 I rented a car in Toronto, from Alamo, which had Florida
license plates.

All U-Haul trucks have Arizona plates.

Old February 12th, 2008, 04:22 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jim Davis[_1_]

"Smiles" wrote in message
Alamo normally does not have a drop off fee but they may have a border fee
because you can not leave a US car in Canada and vis versa thats why most
do not allow it Check before you get caught

Hertz allows it. I've done it many times.