car ferries in Indonesia

Old December 24th, 2007, 04:26 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Sinterklaas

Default car ferries in Indonesia

We have been offered the use of a car & driver by our in-laws in
Jakarta. The driver is very experienced and has taken us to Padang and
to Lombok before.
Does anyone know if there are car ferries that will take us to Flores
and Timor-Kupang ? We know we can take the car at least as far as
Sumba, but we lack information on onward connections The PELNI website
is of no use, their latest information is from 2004. Cars are not even
mentioned. In 2005 local PELNI agents in Bali, Lombok and Jakarta
were unable to supply information. We were told to find out locally.
Phone and fax numbers (essentially the same as on the PELNI website)
did not reply.
Suggestions, anybody?
Old December 25th, 2007, 10:03 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
RAK

"Sinterklaas" wrote in message
We have been offered the use of a car & driver by our in-laws in
Jakarta. The driver is very experienced and has taken us to Padang and
to Lombok before.
Does anyone know if there are car ferries that will take us to Flores
and Timor-Kupang ? We know we can take the car at least as far as
Sumba, but we lack information on onward connections The PELNI website
is of no use, their latest information is from 2004. Cars are not even
mentioned. In 2005 local PELNI agents in Bali, Lombok and Jakarta
were unable to supply information. We were told to find out locally.
Phone and fax numbers (essentially the same as on the PELNI website)
did not reply.
Suggestions, anybody?

You should be OK at least as far as Flores and I would think Timor Barat
would be OK too.
See this for Flores car ferries
http://www.floreskomodo.com/feries-and-boats.html
I don't think these short-haul (Sumbawa-Flores etc) car ferries are run by
Pelni anyway, but I am not sure.

If you don't get more any help here, you could try on the Indonesian page at
Lonely Planet's Thorntree site.
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntre...3&keywordid=95
There are helpful people there who have travelled in that area.
You'll have to sign up (free) for a userid to post a question.

The people who run this Belgian site on Pelni may also be able to help you:
http://www.worldtrippin.be/pelni/index.php

It is also the sort of information you may find in the classic Indonesian
guidebook, the Indonesia Handbook by Bill Dalton. I think it is out of print
now but you may find a copy in a library, It won't be up to date but it is
very good on the obscure parts of Indonesia.