Check the credit card fine print

Old April 24th, 2009, 03:57 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle

Default Check the credit card fine print

"Bill" wrote in message
On 4/23/2009 5:19 PM, Surfer E2468 wrote:
Have never had any problems (so far) with discover card,

Problem with your Discover Card where? I'd be surprised if it's accepted
at many places outside of the US (in fact, every time they run a promotion
like 5% Cashback on all dining for a quarter, I am amazed at how many
places *in* the US don't take it.

I have used Discover often and most all places here and while traveling
around the country accept it.
In fact on one Caribbean cruise it was accepted in two places, Puerto Rico
and off hand, I forget the other island.
So far this year, I have benefited $231.total Discover cash back bonus. This
quarter they have a promotion of 5% on home improvement, department and
clothing stores. In June-August it will be gas and travel charges @ 5%..

--Jean

Old April 24th, 2009, 04:01 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Bill
wrote:

Way better than Discover's paltry rebate.

My mother has that idiotic card. Besides the low rebate about one in
four places around here does not take it. It would be the worst card to
take abroad.

--
Charles
Old April 24th, 2009, 04:53 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Charles wrote:
In article , Bill
wrote:

Way better than Discover's paltry rebate.

My mother has that idiotic card. Besides the low rebate about one in
four places around here does not take it. It would be the worst card to
take abroad.

Our credit card, not Discover, gives us points for each dollar we charge
and it builds up over time. some items if we buy online through their
website, we get more then 1 point per dollar. We recently cashed in our
points for enough money to pay our plane fare to St Thomas this summer.

sue
Old April 24th, 2009, 11:14 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Sue Mullen
wrote:

Our credit card, not Discover, gives us points for each dollar we charge
and it builds up over time. some items if we buy online through their
website, we get more then 1 point per dollar. We recently cashed in our
points for enough money to pay our plane fare to St Thomas this summer.

About two weeks ago I used 25,000 AMEX Rewards points for my roundtrip
air to London in July for the Norway Fjords cruise. Virgin Atlantic was
having a sale on the air to London for 25,000 Frequent Flyer miles. I
transfered the 25,000 points to the Virgin Atlantic Flying Club for
25,000 miles.

--
Charles
Old April 24th, 2009, 12:24 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
"Jean O'Boyle" wrote:

In fact on one Caribbean cruise it was accepted in two places, Puerto Rico
and off hand, I forget the other island.

Probably St. Thomas. Both are technically still US.

--
"Distracting a politician from governing
is like distracting a bear from eating your baby."

--PJ O'Rourke
Old April 24th, 2009, 01:48 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

Kurt Ullman wrote:

Just got an update of new charges from my Visa from FIA. They are now
charging 2% fee for *ALL* out of US charges and not just those requiring
currency conversion. An important consideration in this group.

What is an out of US charge that doesn't require currency
conversion??? How can there be any such thing?

I paid a currency conversion charge of 3% in the Bahamas in 2002 when
the Bahama dollar is on par with the US dollar. And the same in
Bermuda.

In the Dominican Republic when they billed us in US dollars, the
charge was actually in pesos when it got to the credit card company.
So we lost twice on the transaction - once when they converted to
dollars at a less than favorable rate and billed us, and then a second
time when the credit card company converted back.

Old April 24th, 2009, 02:15 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Thumper

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 19:54:09 -0400, Marsha wrote:

Bert Hyman wrote:
If someone commits fraud with your debit card number, they can clean out
your checking account (plus any overdraft "protection") in no time.

Sure, you can get your money back -eventually, but in the meantime,
your checking account is still empty.

My credit union debit card has a $200 withdrawal limit per 24 hr. period.

Marsha

That's for withdrawals but what if someone makes a big purchase?
Thumper
Old April 24th, 2009, 02:18 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Thumper

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 08:48:15 -0400, Rosalie B.
wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote:

Just got an update of new charges from my Visa from FIA. They are now
charging 2% fee for *ALL* out of US charges and not just those requiring
currency conversion. An important consideration in this group.

What is an out of US charge that doesn't require currency
conversion??? How can there be any such thing?

I paid a currency conversion charge of 3% in the Bahamas in 2002 when
the Bahama dollar is on par with the US dollar. And the same in
Bermuda.

In the Dominican Republic when they billed us in US dollars, the
charge was actually in pesos when it got to the credit card company.
So we lost twice on the transaction - once when they converted to
dollars at a less than favorable rate and billed us, and then a second
time when the credit card company converted back.

Banks are abusing us all with their Credit card, debit card and atm
fees.
Thumper
Old April 24th, 2009, 03:33 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Charles wrote:
In article , Sue Mullen
wrote:

Our credit card, not Discover, gives us points for each dollar we charge
and it builds up over time. some items if we buy online through their
website, we get more then 1 point per dollar. We recently cashed in our
points for enough money to pay our plane fare to St Thomas this summer.

About two weeks ago I used 25,000 AMEX Rewards points for my roundtrip
air to London in July for the Norway Fjords cruise. Virgin Atlantic was
having a sale on the air to London for 25,000 Frequent Flyer miles. I
transfered the 25,000 points to the Virgin Atlantic Flying Club for
25,000 miles.

Very nice, I love getting free flights. Recently we used Kevin's United
miles for free flights to Fort Wayne, Indiana. We were a little short of
miles, so bought what we needed using our credit card points.

It is really interesting what you can do using combinations of credit
cards points, hotel points and airline miles.

sue