HAIRSPRAY On Oasis- Royal Caribbean

Old April 23rd, 2009, 03:33 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Susette

Default HAIRSPRAY On Oasis- Royal Caribbean

Tony Award-Winning Broadway Musical Hairspray to Wow Guests on Royal
Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas
MIAMI, April 23 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- The Tony award-winning
Broadway-licensed musical, 'Hairspray,' is set to debut on Royal
Caribbean International's highly anticipated Oasis of the Seas when
the ship sets sail from Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale, Florida,
in December 2009. One of two productions to take place in the ship's
grand Opal Theater, Hairspray will open with a wide array of cruise
industry firsts that the cruise line will debut with the launch of
Oasis of the Seas and is another addition to its diverse entertainment
offerings.

"We are thrilled to bring to our guests a ground-breaking
entertainment feature such as Hairspray on Oasis of the Seas," said
Peter Compton, vice president, Entertainment, Royal Caribbean
International. "The addition of this popular musical to Royal
Caribbean's entertainment lineup will undoubtedly take cruise
entertainment to the next level and cater to the evolving tastes of
vacationers. Guests will be able to enjoy an award-winning Broadway-
caliber production on Oasis of the Seas along with a myriad of
revolutionary onboard amenities for a most memorable cruise vacation."

The show is licensed to Royal Caribbean International for three years
aboard Oasis of the Seas with an option for a fourth year. Under the
agreement, which was struck with the aid of New York City-based Music
Theater International and Broadway Theatrical, the show will be
available exclusively to the cruise line, ensuring the 'feel good'
performance will be the only of its kind at sea.

"All of us are delighted that Hairspray will set sail on Oasis of the
Seas, the biggest, boldest and most exciting cruise ship," said Margo
Lion, Tony Award winning producer of Hairspray. "Just like the show's
heroine Tracy Turnblad, Oasis of the Seas will change the world!"

Hairspray earned a total of eight Tony Awards, including Best Musical,
during its near seven-year run on Broadway, which came to an end in
early January and is currently playing in London's West End. Set in
1962, the show follows the story of Tracy Turnblad, a big girl with
big aspirations who wins a spot on the local TV dance program, "The
Corny Collins Show" and finds herself transformed into an overnight
teen sensation.

While the show has been trimmed just slightly to fit within the
average 90-minute run time, consistent with Royal Caribbean's theater
productions, guests and Hairspray fans will be pleased to find that
the hottest, high-energy numbers will remain on the playbill. The show
will be offered three or four times on each seven-night cruise
itinerary, ensuring that guests have the opportunity to see the show
at their leisure during their vacation.

With the introduction of Hairspray, Oasis of the Seas will offer a
myriad of diverse entertainment choices for guests including an
innovative aerial show - yet to be formally announced - which also
will make its home in the Opal Theater. In addition to the headlining
shows, guests can visit Entertainment Place, one of seven diverse
neighborhoods on Oasis of the Seas, which will offer Jazz on 4, an
intimate lounge filled with live jazz and blues; Comedy Live,
featuring side-splitting comedy; Studio B with an ice show, 'Frozen in
Time' featuring the writings of Hans Christian Anderson; and more.
Entertainment experiences also will be found in all of the remaining
neighborhoods on Oasis of the Seas, including Dazzles, a two-floor
dance lounge featuring musically-themed evenings; and the Boardwalk
with AquaTheater - a one-of-a-kind venue at the stern of the ship -
which will play host to two aqua shows, 'Splish Splash,' a comedy dive
show and 'Oasis of Dreams,' featuring aquatic acrobatics synchronized
to a spectacle of music and lights.

Oasis of the Seas and Allure of the Seas will be the largest and most
revolutionary cruise ships in the world when launched in December 2009
and December 2010, respectively. Architectural marvels at sea, both
ships will span 16 decks, encompass 220,000 gross registered tons,
carry 5,400 guests at double occupancy, and feature 2,700 staterooms.
Oasis of the Seas and Allure of the Seas will tout the cruise line's
new neighborhood concept of seven distinct themed areas, which include
Central Park, Boardwalk, the Royal Promenade, the Pool and Sports
Zone, Vitality at Sea Spa and Fitness Center, and Entertainment Place.
The two ships will sail from their homeport of Port Everglades in Fort
Lauderdale, Fla. Additional information is available at www.oasisoftheseas.com.

Royal Caribbean International is a global cruise brand with 20 ships
currently in service and two under construction. The line also offers
unique cruisetour vacations in Alaska, Asia, Australia, Canada,
Europe, South America and New Zealand. For additional information or
to make reservations, call your travel agent,

Susette
Cruise outlets and Travel
www.cruiseoutlets.com
800-853-9515

Old April 23rd, 2009, 06:54 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Warren[_1_]

On Apr 23, 10:33*am, Susette wrote:

"We are thrilled to bring to our guests a ground-breaking
entertainment feature such as Hairspray on Oasis of the Seas,"

While it's not "ground breaking" (NCL offered Broadway Musicals on s/s
Norway for most of her career often with a name star in the cast),
it's great that RCI is doing this. A ship like Oasis needs bigger
shows than the usual Vegas song and dance revues that are so... 1985.

Very smart decision. I wonder who they'll get to play Edna?

Warren
Old April 23rd, 2009, 09:37 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Mark (SF)

On Apr 23, 10:54*am, Warren wrote:
On Apr 23, 10:33*am, Susette wrote:

"We are thrilled to bring to our guests a ground-breaking
entertainment feature such as Hairspray on Oasis of the Seas,"

While it's not "ground breaking" (NCL offered Broadway Musicals on s/s
Norway for most of her career often with a name star in the cast),
it's great that RCI is doing this. *A ship like Oasis needs bigger
shows than the usual Vegas song and dance revues that are so... 1985.

Very smart decision. I wonder who they'll get to play Edna?

Warren

That's an interesting question. For the show to work you MUST have a
fat middle-aged guy and an overweight girl to play Edna and Tracy.
Usually they seem to leverage entertainers and use them for different
shows. That would change their usual casting for the entertainment
troupe - and might be cause for changes in other shows and costuming.
But, with a ship the size of OOTS and many performances, perhaps they
would use dedicated casting for the key roles.

You can't stop the beat!

mark
Old April 24th, 2009, 01:04 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Becca

Susette wrote:
"We are thrilled to bring to our guests a ground-breaking
entertainment feature such as Hairspray on Oasis of the Seas," said
Peter Compton, vice president, Entertainment, Royal Caribbean
International.

Susie, this is a wonderful idea. Many people would rather see this,
than the standard entertainment they have on cruise ships. On NCL, I
saw Grease so often I could recite the lines. lol They also had Sugar
Babies and Smokey Joe's Cafe.

I am booked on the Oasis for October 2010, by the time I get there, they
will replace Hairspray with something else. I will think positive though.

Becca
Old April 24th, 2009, 03:21 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Becca wrote:

I am booked on the Oasis for October 2010, by the time I get there, they
will replace Hairspray with something else. I will think positive though.

I hope Hairspray will still be there when we are on the Oasis with you.
It is one of the rare movies Kevin and I "both" enjoyed and it will be
great seeing it on stage.

sue
Old April 24th, 2009, 07:08 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jack Hamilton[_1_]

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 10:21:07 -0400, Sue Mullen
wrote:

Becca wrote:

I am booked on the Oasis for October 2010, by the time I get there, they
will replace Hairspray with something else. I will think positive though.

I hope Hairspray will still be there when we are on the Oasis with you.
It is one of the rare movies Kevin and I "both" enjoyed and it will be
great seeing it on stage.

The stage version is a bit different from the movie versions. They're
all charmingly subversive.

Old April 25th, 2009, 10:10 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Becca

Sue Mullen wrote:

Becca wrote:

I am booked on the Oasis for October 2010, by the time I get there,
they will replace Hairspray with something else. I will think
positive though.

I hope Hairspray will still be there when we are on the Oasis with
you. It is one of the rare movies Kevin and I "both" enjoyed and it
will be great seeing it on stage.

sue

Let's think positive Sue, maybe things will go our way. I would love to
see it again. Hey, I still have my Tracy Turnblad wig, think I should
wear it? lol

Becca
Old April 26th, 2009, 12:44 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Becca wrote:
Sue Mullen wrote:

Becca wrote:

I am booked on the Oasis for October 2010, by the time I get there,
they will replace Hairspray with something else. I will think
positive though.

I hope Hairspray will still be there when we are on the Oasis with
you. It is one of the rare movies Kevin and I "both" enjoyed and it
will be great seeing it on stage.

sue

Let's think positive Sue, maybe things will go our way. I would love to
see it again. Hey, I still have my Tracy Turnblad wig, think I should
wear it? lol

YES, you should wear your Tracy Turnblad wig again.lol

As much as I hope Hairspray is still on the Oasis, there is so much to
do on that ship that if it isn't there, we will still be busy and happy.

I am thinking we will have to set up a schedule of things we want to see
and friends we want to see them with. Kevin doesn't like the idea of a
schedule, but I think on the Oasis it will be a must.lol

sue