Douglas Ward's list of things that have disappeared from cruise ships!

Old March 5th, 2010, 01:26 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

Default Douglas Ward's list of things that have disappeared from cruise...

On 3/5/10 2:58 AM, Bill wrote:

Either way, the cruise line makes lots of money from the photos that are
sold. Probably even more on Oasis where they do not print the photos
until you request them, from what I've read, so there's no wasted
printing expense.

Bill

That removes the expense of printing extras, but it may also reduce the
number that are purchased. And of course those are trade offs.

--Tom

Old March 5th, 2010, 05:17 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Becca

Default Douglas Ward's list of things that have disappeared from cruiseships!

Sue Mullen wrote:
So you and I started cruisiing the same year.LOL

Our first cruise there was no smoking in the dining room, so as soon
as you steped out of the dining room, you were hit with a wall of
smoke. I think they even had ashtrays right outside the D.R.

When I started cruising, people were allowed to smoke in the buffet. I
do not recall anyone smoking in the buffet on Princess or Royal
Caribbean, but maybe they did before my time. From what I recall, I did
see people smoke on Norwegian, Celebrity and Carnival. From my personal
experience, Celebrity was the last cruise line to ban smoking from the
buffet, because they were smoking on the Celebrity Mercury in 1998. On
Holland America, you could smoke in the dining room, at least that is
what I heard. I have not tried HAL yet, but I would love to.

Becca
Old March 5th, 2010, 09:48 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Island Grampa

wrote in message
On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 22:58:21 -0800, "Island Grampa"
wrote:

A couple of more things that most ships HAVE now that they didn't have in
1985 and earlier:

1. Bath robes to use onboard

2. Extra cost restaurants

3 High priced, high profit BINGO games and photographs.

Tobieon an Island in the Pacific

They did have bingo. Probably not as high priced.

Bingo was no where the price they are charging now.

It was the last day of a 10 day cruise on the Rotterdam 5. Barb and I each
bought a card at $10.00 each. They were the old type with the slide across
markers. That included about 4 regular games and the "Snowball Jackpot"
game, which had built up to about $2500.

When it was all over, I had the $2500.00 in my hand. I couldn't believe how
fast the numbers hit. It was probably less than 50 numbers called for a
blackout.

We booked another cruise shortly after returning home. :-)

Tobieon an Island in the Pacific

Old March 5th, 2010, 10:16 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

NEVER have any pictures taken when cruising,have too-too many after 49
cruises

cruise lover(~~~~~)

..

Old March 5th, 2010, 10:26 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Carol Eskra

I don't think anyone has mentioned art auctions. Not sure when they came
into being, but they were not around when I started cruising back in
1980.

Old March 10th, 2010, 09:30 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Scale Condit

Default Douglas Ward's list of things that have disappeared fromcruis...

When did the midnight buffet cease to be? Even on Cunard? Fred

Old March 10th, 2010, 11:28 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Goomba

Bill wrote:
On 3/4/2010 6:54 AM, Cruise Crazy wrote:

9.On our last cruise there was no photographer (RSS Navigator)

Sounds good to me! Then I wouldn't have to avoid them when they tried to
take my picture when I want to get off the ship, and when they came over
and tried to take our pictures during dinner.

Of course, the cruise line makes lots of money from the photographer.

Bill

Just because they take your picture doesn't mean you have to *buy* it, LOL.
Once in a while they actually get a good one of me. Not often, but once
in a while. sigh And even then I probably won't buy it, but might.
Old March 11th, 2010, 01:26 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

On 3/5/2010 8:26 AM, Tom K wrote:
On 3/5/10 2:58 AM, Bill wrote:

Either way, the cruise line makes lots of money from the photos that are
sold. Probably even more on Oasis where they do not print the photos
until you request them, from what I've read, so there's no wasted
printing expense.

Bill

That removes the expense of printing extras, but it may also reduce the
number that are purchased. And of course those are trade offs.

--Tom

Presumably if sales go down, they'll go back to printing them and
putting them on display.

Bill
Old March 13th, 2010, 02:21 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
jeffcoud

I miss the flaming coffee drinks made table side! Always was a fun
show to watch!

Jeff