Video of Wave Hitting Ship!

Old March 5th, 2010, 06:23 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
frijoli[_4_]

Default Video of Wave Hitting Ship!

Ray Goldenberg wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I saw this video of the ship being hit and the aftermath and thought
it would be of interest.
http://bit.ly/cMBN4K

That had to be higher than 26'. I've been in that lounge and it is pretty high
up in the ship.

Really scary video, and such a sad thing for those men and their families
Old March 5th, 2010, 06:46 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ray Goldenberg Ray Goldenberg is offline
Banned

On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 13:23:59 -0500, frijoli wrote:

That had to be higher than 26'. I've been in that lounge and it is pretty high
up in the ship.

Hi Everyone

The cruise line spokesman said the initial wave was about 26 feet but
the 2 follow up waves were about 10 meters. The ship has a terrible
design. You have a lounge on the main deck and it is solid steel deck
just above the mooring deck and sitting forward. The lounge makes it
into a potential breakwater with floor to ceiling windows. The
original design was to be used Baltic ferry by for the Birka Line.
--
Ray Goldenberg 800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
Lighthouse Travel http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old March 6th, 2010, 02:51 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
frijoli[_5_]

Ray Goldenberg wrote:
On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 13:23:59 -0500, frijoli wrote:

That had to be higher than 26'. I've been in that lounge and it is pretty high
up in the ship.

Hi Everyone

The cruise line spokesman said the initial wave was about 26 feet but
the 2 follow up waves were about 10 meters. The ship has a terrible
design. You have a lounge on the main deck and it is solid steel deck
just above the mooring deck and sitting forward. The lounge makes it
into a potential breakwater with floor to ceiling windows. The
original design was to be used Baltic ferry by for the Birka Line.
--
Ray Goldenberg 800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
Lighthouse Travel http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/lighthousetravl
Follow us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/ray.goldenberg

So the ship basically scooped up the water and funneled it
into the lounge? 10 meters is only 6 ft higher than 26. I
have trouble believing they could accurately estimate a 26'
wave to begin with, as opposed to 25' I mean.

Is not that lounge on the 9th deck? How high would that be
from the draft line? 60feet?

Just curiosity.

Clay
Old March 6th, 2010, 05:42 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
RsH

On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 10:46:22 -0800, Ray Goldenberg
wrote:

On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 13:23:59 -0500, frijoli wrote:

That had to be higher than 26'. I've been in that lounge and it is pretty high
up in the ship.

Hi Everyone

The cruise line spokesman said the initial wave was about 26 feet but
the 2 follow up waves were about 10 meters. The ship has a terrible
design. You have a lounge on the main deck and it is solid steel deck
just above the mooring deck and sitting forward. The lounge makes it
into a potential breakwater with floor to ceiling windows. The
original design was to be used Baltic ferry by for the Birka Line.

Everyone forgets that the ship's bow is going up to ride over the
first wave, then dropping down into the trough between waves... so you
take the wave height and double it for the distance between the top of
the first wave and the trough between it and the second wave. The bow
was DOWN in the trough when the second wave broke over the bow, and
slammed into the windows. So effectively it was more like 50-60 feet
of water wave between the place the ship's bow was, down in the
trough, and where the top of the second wave was as it rode over the
bow and broke the windows. This is typical of the way a ship pointed
into the waves rides the waves, but it also effectively speeds up the
water as you now have the forward speed of the ship INTO the waves
going the opposite direction, AND it increases the weight of the
water, since the wave is really double the estimate of 10 meters, to
more like 20 meters between trough and peak of the next wave. So 10
meters is really also a bit misleading. In any case, if you watch the
video I've seen you can see the ship is going up and down as it rides
the waves and then plunges into the trough between waves, and then
gets slammed by the next wave.

FWIW
RsH
Old March 6th, 2010, 09:33 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

On 3/6/10 12:42 PM, RsH wrote:

Everyone forgets that the ship's bow is going up to ride over the
first wave, then dropping down into the trough between waves... so you
take the wave height and double it for the distance between the top of
the first wave and the trough between it and the second wave.

I don't believe that's correct. I believe that when they give the
height, it's already based on the distance between peak and trough.
When they say 26 foot wave, they mean 13 ft. above and 13 ft. below the
waterline.

--Tom
Old March 7th, 2010, 06:18 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
mike073

Tom K wrote:
On 3/6/10 12:42 PM, RsH wrote:

Everyone forgets that the ship's bow is going up to ride over the
first wave, then dropping down into the trough between waves... so you
take the wave height and double it for the distance between the top of
the first wave and the trough between it and the second wave.

I don't believe that's correct. I believe that when they give the
height, it's already based on the distance between peak and trough. When
they say 26 foot wave, they mean 13 ft. above and 13 ft. below the
waterline.

--Tom

Did anyone else get the Bounty quicker picker upper add just before
viewing this video?
Old March 12th, 2010, 04:14 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake frijoli :

Ray Goldenberg wrote:
[...]

Clay, waves are not measured trough to peak but "mean to peak or
trough". In other words, if the ship was in the trough, the wave
would be "towering" over it. In the book "Fastnet Force 10" there's a
picture of the author at the helm, a huge wave behind him. Of course,
he's racing downhill and the wave might not even slap him as he
climbed the other side. OTOH, small ships (boats) handle that kind of
crap better than large craft. In fact, waves in the range shown can
break a large ships back if the ship spans two peaks or rides a peak
in the middle. And smacking an oncoming wave can be a real pain.
--

- dillon I am not invalid

You know, I can't think of nothing finer than a fine
naked woman holding a gun. And you got all kinds of
fine going on.

Frankie Figs
Old March 13th, 2010, 03:45 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Nonny

"Dillon Pyron" wrote in message
[Default] Thus spake frijoli :

wrote:

[...]

If I recall correctly, that's the theory behind the sudden
disappearance of the Edmund Fitzgerald. A friend was engineer on
a sister ship and after the disaster, he quit, went to school and
became an actuary- far inland.

--
Nonny
When we talk to God, we're praying,

Old March 13th, 2010, 03:56 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
frijoli[_5_]

Dillon Pyron wrote:
[Default] Thus spake frijoli :

Ray Goldenberg wrote:
[...]

I get conflicting data when I look this up. Some sites say
peak to peak, some say mean to peak.
One site mentioned "seas" and peak as two different things.
Can't find it right now, but if I recall correctly, it said
seas are measured peak to peak, and wave height was measured
mean to peak.

Towering over it in this case would be 50-60 feet depending
on what is considered the mean. Since ocean waves are not
like sine waves, but more like sound waves from talking.

Clay
Old March 13th, 2010, 05:18 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

Ray Goldenberg wrote:
[...]

One show on TV had footage from cameras that went down to the ship...
and they apparently found that some of the hatches up on deck weren't
secured properly.

That allowed the water to get inside.... which ultimately doomed the ship.

--Tom