Seasickness question

Old March 14th, 2010, 12:37 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian[_1_]

Default Seasickness question

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 15:55:04 -0500, Thumper
wrote:

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 14:02:55 -0500, MAS wrote:

On 3/13/2010 10:57 AM, Thumper wrote:
On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 19:54:54 -0500,
wrote:

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 12:45:22 -0500, (Joyce) wrote:

As for the ginger...I love crystalized ginger...can eat a lb. at a time
but can no longer have it because I am on coumadin, plavix and aspirin
for a-fib and stent. That's a real bummer for me but know that ginger,
liver and all leafy greens can cause blood to get too thin......

I take Plavix and aspirin and my mother takes coumadin. Her food
requirements are much stricter than mine. I'm not familiar with
someone taking all three drugs at once.

Wow, I didn't think that most doctors want you to take Aspirin and
Coumadin together.
Thumper

He's not taking aspirin and Coumadin. He's taking Plavix and aspirin,
which is not uncommon. There are also situations where you can be
taking aspirin and Coumadin.

I was reading the post that you responded to by mistake.
Thumper

I was going to respond and say that I don't but someone else did it
first.
This has gone pretty far afield but there was an article yesterday
that said 2-14% (pretty big range) of people can't utilize Plavix
because of an enzyme deficiency.

Old March 14th, 2010, 12:42 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian[_1_]

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 17:52:21 -0800, "Marcia R."
wrote:

That's kind of how I feel now. My beloved is so relieved we are going
to have the wrist bands and ginger for him, they're already working as
far as I'm concerned.

Marcia

I think ginger may actually help but there was an interesting Ziggy
today. The pharmacist asked him, "We're out of the regular stuff. Will
placebo generics be OK?"

Old March 14th, 2010, 12:51 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian[_1_]

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 09:11:42 -0500, Tom K
wrote:

Ships behave very differently from small boats. The majority of
movement in small boats is up and down from front to back.

The majority of movement in large cruise ships is side-to-side rolling.
It can actually be somewhat relaxing, especially while in bed. But
when it gets bad because of strong winds... it can become somewhat
uncomfortable. Particularly INSIDE. The reason? Simple. When a
person walks or even runs, you follow a similar motion with your steps
(side to side). But your eyes tell your brain that the motion your
inner ear is experiencing is not a problem, and your brain compensates.
On a ship, if you can see the ship move in relation to the horizon,
your brain can (it MAY not always, but it can) compensate. However,
inside you lose that ability to judge the motion against a stable
background. Your eyes and brain can't correct for the motion. That's
why seasickness is usually worse inside, even in jet planes where you
can't compensate.

If he, or even you, find you need a Bonine, I'd suggest trying to take
it in the evening, just before bed. Why? Simple. It's a once a day
tablet. The dose indicates 1 or 2 tablets. I've never needed more than
1 except once, sailing through a Nor-Easter storm in the Atlantic. Then
I needed a second one. But they can make you a bit groggy. Just like
Benedryl or any antihistamine. That's why it's best to take it at
night. Peak (highest) blood levels occur shortly after you take a drug.
By the next dose (next evening), your blood levels have declined to
the point of needing another dose. So think of blood level as a saw
tooth pattern. If your peak levels are at night, you'll be sleeping
anyway. By the next morning, blood levels will already be declining,
and with the ability to see the horizon or even be in port, you won't
need a high level of drug in your blood stream. And you won't be groggy.

The next good news... your ship will sail toward the evening. So if
he's uncomfortable, you can take it later that evening. So the timing
kind of fits the "take it in the evening" pattern.

--Tom

We were on a ship at dinner when it was leaving port. All of a sudden
the ship started rolling to the side to the point that the dishes
started sliding down the table and there were a lot of crashing
dishes.
We were told that a boat crossed suddenly in front of our ship and our
ship had to suddenly maneuver away from it.

Old March 14th, 2010, 01:08 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Becca

Brian wrote:
I think ginger may actually help but there was an interesting Ziggy
today. The pharmacist asked him, "We're out of the regular stuff. Will
placebo generics be OK?"

A few years ago I decided to put the meclizine aside and try ginger
capsules, after all they are natural so what can it hurt? I do not get
sick on cruise ships, but I will on dive boats or ferries. The ginger
did not help me or my dive partner in the least, we both fed the fish
that day. It was back to meclizine for me.

If anyone has problems with motion sickness, ask your doctor and your
pharmacist, but meclizine works for me. Try it at home when you have
time off, but do try it before you take off on vacation.

Becca
Old March 14th, 2010, 04:03 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

Seehorse Video plucked Senior Frog's Magic Twanger and said On
3/11/2010 5:29 AM:
mal de
mere.

ROFL!!! mal de mere translated from the French means "sore mother". I
think what you wanted to write is: "le mal de mer".

--
________
Brian M. Kochera

View My Web Pages: http://home.earthlink.net/~brian1951
My Shutterfly Page http://photosbybrianmk.shutterfly.com/

Old March 14th, 2010, 04:41 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

Default FYI Seasickness and natural remedies was ( Seasickness question

Rosaly Z. Greenberger plucked Senior Frog's Magic Twanger and said On
3/12/2010 5:39 PM:
Marcia R. wrote:
My fiance is a little concerned about getting seasick on our cruise.
I've been looking around the internet for those wrist bands, but I
can't seem to find a store that sells them. Does anyone know where I
can buy a pack in an actual store and not online? I'm kind of hoping
to return them after the cruise if we don't need to open the
package. Thanks.

Marcia

Marcia:

I found those bands of no use. You can buy them in any chain drugstore.

My preference us Meclizine (generic for Bonine) It works wonders if
you take one every morning. and I am a truly seasick sufferer. rosaly

FYI - The "Mythbusters" tested a whole battery of "natural" remedies for
seasickness. The only one that worked was ginger. But, they found that
it worked for only very mild cases of seasickness.

I question the notion that natural remedies are somehow "safer" then
OTC or prescription medications? Natural dietary supplements are not
tested by the Food and Drug Administration for purity. Also, there are
no clinical trials to determine side effects. Ginger interacts with
prescription medications increasing bleeding and sometimes causing
fatality. (see http://www.personalhealthzone.com/ginger.html)

--
________

Old March 14th, 2010, 11:25 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian[_1_]

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 19:08:57 -0600, Becca wrote:

A few years ago I decided to put the meclizine aside and try ginger
capsules, after all they are natural so what can it hurt? I do not get
sick on cruise ships, but I will on dive boats or ferries. The ginger
did not help me or my dive partner in the least, we both fed the fish
that day. It was back to meclizine for me.

If anyone has problems with motion sickness, ask your doctor and your
pharmacist, but meclizine works for me. Try it at home when you have
time off, but do try it before you take off on vacation.

Becca

I suspect one thing may work better for one person and something else
for others.
I have taken Bonine with me on cruises but have never used it. It
would be a good idea to try it ahead of time.