car travel on Pan American Highway - queries

Old April 29th, 2005, 02:39 AM
petal puss

Default car travel on Pan American Highway - queries

We are planning a one way road trip spanning several months from the
USA to Brazil via Chile (or in reverse order!)travelling the Pan
American Highway.
Queries
Is it possible to sell a Brazilian registered car in the USA or
Mexico?
Is it better to buy a USA car and sell/dispose of it in Brazil (or
somewhere)
Would a VW beetle do the job? Any suggestions welcome - we would
prefer a sedan/hatch rather then a 4WD.
Vehicle Insurance suggestons/problems?
We have previously driven a Renault around Argentina for 4 weeks - 20
years ago! - without any problem.
Any up-to-date info and suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Nick & Jo
Old April 29th, 2005, 04:04 AM
Richard Ferguson

Two obvious problems:

1. The road is not complete between Panama and Columbia in the Darien
Gap area. You would need a ferry.

2. Land travel in Columbia is not recommended. Kidnapping of foreigners
(and locals) is one of the local industries, with highway stops a prime
way to collect victims. Even locals fly from city to city, it is safer.

Richard

Old April 29th, 2005, 07:13 AM
JBM

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005, Richard Ferguson wrote:

2. Land travel in Columbia is not recommended.

The main problem being the likelihood of running over a student.

Richard

Take care

Jon

--
Jon Beasley-Murray Latin American Studies
http://faculty.arts.ubc.ca/jbmurray/ University of British Columbia

Old April 29th, 2005, 02:22 PM
MMcC

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 07:13:51 +0100, JBM
wrote:

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005, Richard Ferguson wrote:

2. Land travel in Columbia is not recommended.

The main problem being the likelihood of running over a student.

Hehe

Must be the most misspelled country in the world.

Richard

Take care

Jon

Old April 30th, 2005, 01:14 AM
clint

Asi I have habloed multas times, dress as a senorita(preferably, an viejo
one) and you will nunca be robbed! Tambien, tu will veo guaopos senors)muy
rico???) Buenos suertos!
wrote in message
news
On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 08:22:46 -0500, MMcC wrote:
On Fri, 29 Apr 2005, Richard Ferguson wrote:

2. Land travel in Columbia is not recommended.

Must be the most misspelled country in the world.

It is just the US people who seem to have problems spelling such a
simple country name.

Old April 30th, 2005, 05:08 AM
george

some good information in Spanish

http://www.sonora-mexico.net/travesia2005.htm

did this trip in 95- 96 great planning to do it again this fall

George

Old April 30th, 2005, 05:55 PM
Richard Ferguson

Your note was very short, I have a few questions.

1. Are you associated with the group for the traversia2005?

2. How many months did it take you? How far south did you go?

3. What were the primary obstacles or challenges on the trip?

4. What did you do to get around the Darien Gap?

Thanks.

Richard

Old April 30th, 2005, 09:03 PM
george

to answer your question;

1 yes I am part of the group

2 the trip will be 4 months we will to Tierra del fuego but the vehicukes
will be shipped from Valparaiso Chile to manzanillo Mexico

3 nothing special

4 cars will be shipped from panama to cartagena Colombia

consult the web site you are welcome to join

George