London Earls Court tube station

Old April 4th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Markku Ilmanen

Default London Earls Court tube station

I'm traveling from Heathrow to Paddington and the obvious choice is of
course the Heathrow Express. As London is robbing my money already for
everything else ;-) I thought of using the tube instead. I am buying a
travelcard anyway so this trip would cause no extra expenses.

The only problem is that I have to transfer from Piccadilly line to
District. How hard is this to do at Earls Court, considering carrying a
suitcase or two and taking care of two kids (well, the Mrs will
help...). A long time since I was there and can't quite remember the
station! No problem with walking, just how are the stairs (escalator?)
and will it be very crowded at early afternoon (end June this will be)?
Or is it easier to change at Acton Town or Hammersmith? Or just waste an
extra 40 pounds for the comfort of the epress?

Old April 4th, 2005, 09:02 AM
george

How about a pre-arranged taxi.

George

Old April 4th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Tomas

I'm traveling from Heathrow to Paddington and the obvious choice is of
course the Heathrow Express. As London is robbing my money already for
everything else ;-) I thought of using the tube instead. I am buying a
travelcard anyway so this trip would cause no extra expenses.

The only problem is that I have to transfer from Piccadilly line to
District. How hard is this to do at Earls Court, considering carrying a
suitcase or two and taking care of two kids (well, the Mrs will
help...). A long time since I was there and can't quite remember the
station! No problem with walking, just how are the stairs (escalator?)
and will it be very crowded at early afternoon (end June this will be)?
Or is it easier to change at Acton Town or Hammersmith? Or just waste an
extra 40 pounds for the comfort of the epress?

Where is your ultimate destination??? Let us know this and we may be able
to offer a solution..

Old April 4th, 2005, 10:06 AM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn

Markku Ilmanen wrote:

[]
The only problem is that I have to transfer from Piccadilly line to
District. How hard is this to do at Earls Court, considering carrying a
suitcase or two and taking care of two kids (well, the Mrs will
help...). A long time since I was there and can't quite remember the
station! No problem with walking, just how are the stairs (escalator?)
and will it be very crowded at early afternoon (end June this will be)?
Or is it easier to change at Acton Town or Hammersmith? Or just waste an
extra 40 pounds for the comfort of the epress?

As other posters wrote- it depends where you're going. A transfer at
Earl's Court isn't too painful however. Assuming there isn't some
temporary works going on I'm unaware of, you can take an escalator up
from the picadilly line to the district line platforms. There are
several district line platfforms (3 or 4 IIRC) so make sure you're on
the right one. Ask someone if you're not too sure.

If you _were_ going to take the express, with 4 of you, I think you'd be
better off with a taxi.

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net

Old April 4th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Bonzo

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 10:27:02 +0300, Markku Ilmanen
wrote:

The only problem is that I have to transfer from Piccadilly line to
District. How hard is this to do at Earls Court, considering carrying a
suitcase or two and taking care of two kids (well, the Mrs will
help...). A long time since I was there and can't quite remember the
station! No problem with walking, just how are the stairs (escalator?)
and will it be very crowded at early afternoon (end June this will be)?
Or is it easier to change at Acton Town or Hammersmith? Or just waste an
extra 40 pounds for the comfort of the epress?

At Earls Court you'd need to use an escalator. Change at Barons Court
instead, where all you have to do is cross the platform.
Old April 4th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Markku Ilmanen

wrote:

The only problem is that I have to transfer from Piccadilly line to
District. How hard is this to do at Earls Court, considering carrying a
suitcase or two and taking care of two kids (well, the Mrs will
help...). A long time since I was there and can't quite remember the
station! No problem with walking, just how are the stairs (escalator?)
and will it be very crowded at early afternoon (end June this will be)?
Or is it easier to change at Acton Town or Hammersmith? Or just waste an
extra 40 pounds for the comfort of the epress?

At Earls Court you'd need to use an escalator. Change at Barons Court
instead, where all you have to do is cross the platform.

Thanks! I checked the tube maps on tfl site and the first one didn't
show Barons Court as an interchange station, whereas the other one
did... This would probably be the way to go.

Old April 4th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Deep Foiled Malls

wrote:

The only problem is that I have to transfer from Piccadilly line to
District. How hard is this to do at Earls Court, considering carrying a
suitcase or two and taking care of two kids (well, the Mrs will
help...). A long time since I was there and can't quite remember the
station! No problem with walking, just how are the stairs (escalator?)
and will it be very crowded at early afternoon (end June this will be)?
Or is it easier to change at Acton Town or Hammersmith? Or just waste an
extra 40 pounds for the comfort of the epress?

At Earls Court you'd need to use an escalator. Change at Barons Court
instead, where all you have to do is cross the platform.

Thanks! I checked the tube maps on tfl site and the first one didn't
show Barons Court as an interchange station, whereas the other one
did... This would probably be the way to go.

Definitely. Less people at Barons Court too.

Does anyone know if they ever got the lift at Earls Court to work
properly? In the 2.5 years that I lived in London, it only worked for
around 12 minutes total, at a stretch.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com

Old April 4th, 2005, 11:58 PM
Douglas W. Hoyt

At Earls Court you'd need to use an escalator. Change at Barons Court
instead, where all you have to do is cross the platform.

Last time I did this I asked staff and they suggested Hammersmith, where it
is also just a walk straight across the platform to the other line.