Intolerance on this newsgroup

Old February 8th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Tim Challenger

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 13:57:51 GMT, Des Small wrote:

In fact, if you have a good newsreader it is probably worth killfiling
anything cross posted to soc.culture.* (and not only here).

I killfile anything cross posted to more than 3 groups, I hadn't thought of
the soc.culture* option ... doh!

Des
also skips any thread with Mixi in it.

Those used to be some of the best bits, but Mixi's lost his edge.

--
Tim C.
Old February 8th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Juliana L Holm

Keith wrote:

Unfortunately the same thing that happens in every forum. Usenet is no
different. No matter what forum, online, or in real life, you are going to
have what I call your "green factor" (I don't know if I learned this in
psychology, or if I just made it up). A certain percentage of any
population are going to be a*holes. There's no preventing people from
acting out.

This is true, but it is also true that this is about the worst I've seen in
a serious newsgroup in usenet. I get tired of having to kill a dozen threads
every day, and I periodically unsubscribe/resubscribe.

Since I'm planning two months in Europe in the fall, I'm here, but it is
driving me crazy.

The signal to noise ratio here, is actually a lot better than other places.

Must run in different packs. This is the worst I've seen except for
rec.motorcycles, where, frankly, the noise IS the signal. Not just in quantity,
though that is amazing some days, but also in content being just plain
offensive.

--
Julie
**********

http://www.dragonsholm.org/travel.htm
Old February 8th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Stelios Zacharias

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 23:11:55 -0800, Susan Wachob
wrote:

What's happening in this newsgroup? There's less and less on European
travel and more and more anti-semitism, homophobia, anti USA/France/etc,
various sexist comments, etc. Are other's as
digusted/offended/frustrated/angry as I am?

Mine certainly are, but they are used to it.

Stelios "someone had to" Zacharias

--

The address in the headers is real and does not need de-mungeing
Old February 8th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Tim Challenger

wrote:

What's happening in this newsgroup? There's less and less on European
travel and more and more anti-semitism, homophobia, anti USA/France/etc,
various sexist comments, etc. Are other's as
digusted/offended/frustrated/angry as I am?

Mine certainly are, but they are used to it.

Stelios "someone had to" Zacharias

Yeah, where's Magda when you need her? ;-)
--
Tim C.
Old February 8th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Phred Bear

"Susan Wachob" wrote in message
What's happening in this newsgroup? There's less and less on European
travel and more and more anti-semitism, homophobia, anti USA/France/etc,
various sexist comments, etc.

Hasn't it occurred to you that it is probably because a lot of people just
don't happen to share the same point of view as you.
for example, I suspect that there is a lot of anti USA postings because a
lot of people don't like Americans or their culture (If that is not an
oxymoron)

As for your second point:
Are other's as digusted/offended/frustrated/angry as I am?

This might be because you have the breaking strain of a soft Mars Bar. If
postings offend you then do what the rest of us have learnt to do, which is
to use the Kill File.

Alternatively, you could just buy a good travel guide.

Hint: That looks like your real e-mail address. If it is, then you would be
well advised to mask it if you continue to ues Usenet. Otherwise you will be
the recipient of some very personal and unpleasant hate mail from the very
nutters you are raging against.

Old February 8th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Des Small

"Phred Bear" writes:

Hint: That looks like your real e-mail address. If it is, then you would be
well advised to mask it if you continue to ues Usenet. Otherwise you will be
the recipient of some very personal and unpleasant hate mail from the very
nutters you are raging against.

Not fair! I don't get any hate mail!

Des
has never munged
Old February 8th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Magda" kirjoitti viestissä
On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 23:11:55 -0800, in rec.travel.europe, Susan Wachob

arranged some electrons, so they looked like this :

... What's happening in this newsgroup? There's less and less on European
... travel and more and more anti-semitism, homophobia, anti

USA/France/etc,
... various sexist comments, etc. Are other's as
... digusted/offended/frustrated/angry as I am?
... I know there's little that can be done to stop these people. Most of
... those who respond to these posts aren't people who add anything about
... travel either. I don't open them once I realize what they are but

it's
... annoying even seeing the subject lines.
... Any ideas?

You must be a newbie. But after a while you get used to human nature at

its best - or
worst.

Actually usenet was pretty clean in past. Then the access to it got
popularized and all sorts bimbos (no names here) have decorated it as their
living room.

Old February 8th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Padraig Breathnach

Des Small wrote:

Not fair! I don't get any hate mail!

Des
has never munged

I have never been munged either. My address has, but that doesn't
hurt.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old February 8th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Mika

Phred Bear wrote:

Hasn't it occurred to you that it is probably because a lot of people just
don't happen to share the same point of view as you.
for example, I suspect that there is a lot of anti USA postings because a
lot of people don't like Americans or their culture (If that is not an
oxymoron)

Hmm, there sure are a lot of American trolls/crossposters. Disagreeing
with them is not "anti US".

Old February 8th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Magda" kirjoitti viestissä
On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 17:17:54 +0200, in rec.travel.europe, "Markku Grönroos"
arranged some electrons, so they looked like

this :

... Actually usenet was pretty clean in past. Then the access to it got
... popularized and all sorts bimbos (no names here) have decorated it as

their
... living room.

What do you call "in past" ? I got Internet 8 years ago and it was already

a massacre in

That's right. You are a novice.