Is Holland the worst place in Europe?

Old December 14th, 2005, 10:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Is Holland the worst place in Europe?

Fair enough, but when I go to NL I don't go for the food, nor the
landscape, nor the weather, nor the service. I think NL is one of the
most relaxed and cosmopolitan places in Europe, and I love the modern
architecture, the street cafes and the water.

If you think NL is the worst place in Europe then you haven't seen the
"normal" cities in England.

Old December 15th, 2005, 03:52 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

"On the basis of extensive experience (well, a few weeks) I can
announce that an in-depth study has found that Holland is the worst
place in Europe."

You've never been East of Prague, I take it.

"Well, the weather and the landscape give it a head start over most
places."

The weather is much better in Russia and Scandinavia after all.

"Then you have the food - what isn't bland is positively vile, and the
taste doesn't do justice to the array of hormones used in its
production."

But the major cities at least have lots of international food. Do as
the Dutch do, forget stamppot, and just eat Indonesian, Indian, and
Chinese.

"On the good side, it's quite small, so you can quickly get to
somewhere efficient, like Germany, or civilised, like France."

The Van Gogh Museum and Rijksmuseum alone would justify a trip to
Amsterdam.

Old December 15th, 2005, 04:56 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

On 14 Dec 2005 11:16:16 -0800, wrote:

snip whining
As a tourist you will be spared much of the horror of the abysmal
infrastructure - nearly 2 weeks to open a phone line, ages more for
internet

snip

This is something about Europe I will *never* understand. Perhaps my
immersion in American uber-capitalist society has utterly blinded me,
but it seems to me that utilities like phone and Internet providers,
who are both facing incredible competition and possible extermination,
would be FALLING ALL OVER THEMSELVES to hook up new account requests
toot-****in'-sweet. Here in the US, if someone calls up requesting
your service, and your service is on the chopping block of
technological displacement, that caller is considered a "live one".
You *must* rope in this n00b ASAP and with all the alacrity and smiles
you can muster. To fail spells certain doom.

You can't tell me Europe doesn't have cell phones or wireless
Internet. If I called up an Internet provider and they told me it was
2 weeks to get service, I'd tell them to give me a login and password

NOW, or I'd give an extra 20 Euros to each one of their competitors,
just to **** them off.

Worth noting: I just got back from a lovely Xmas party where a small
cadre of us discussed how much we enjoy and even envy Europe. So I'm
not harshing on the culture per se. But 2 weeks for ****ing Internet
service? Heads would ROLL.

- TR

Old December 15th, 2005, 06:12 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

wrote in message
oups.com...

On the basis of extensive experience (well, a few weeks) I can announce
that an in-depth study has found that Holland is the worst place in
Europe.

I must assume that your extensive experience wasn't extensive enough or that
your in-depth study wasn't very deep. Have you been to anywhere else in
Europe beside the Netherlands? Have you been, for example, to Kaliningrad or
Albania or Bulgaria or Romania or Moldova?

Old December 15th, 2005, 09:02 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

wrote in message
oups.com...
On the basis of extensive experience (well, a few weeks) I can announce
that an in-depth study has found that Holland is the worst place in
Europe.

How has it earned this title?

Well, the weather and the landscape give it a head start over most
places.

Then you have the food - what isn't bland is positively vile, and the
taste doesn't do justice to the array of hormones used in its
production. The only thing worse than the food is the lack of food -
while you wait for your chosen restaurant to bring you your dinner. Or
even the menu. Oh yes - and then there's the bill.

As a tourist you will be spared much of the horror of the abysmal
infrastructure - nearly 2 weeks to open a phone line, ages more for
internet, or the horrors of an immigration procedure that Kafka could
only have imagined in a nightmare - a "non-marriage certificate"? you
want a certificate from every Elvis impersonator in the State of Nevada
that he *didn't* marry me off to a showgirl? Apparently so.

On the good side, it's quite small, so you can quickly get to somewhere
efficient, like Germany, or civilised, like France.

Happy travels!

Well, I've spent far longer there, and in most other West European
countries, so I can compare.
I found the Netherlands one of the most pleasant by far in which to live.

Surreyman

Old December 15th, 2005, 09:27 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

My vote for the worst place in Europe would have to be Belgium.
Excluding Bruges and just a little of antwerp and Ghent it is not worth
much.

As for worst city would have to be Brussels. For a full day trip the
first half of the day is ok after that the city gets boring. Any
repeat trips are just not worth it.

Old December 15th, 2005, 09:28 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Iceman" writes:

The Van Gogh Museum and Rijksmuseum alone would justify a trip to
Amsterdam.

They would and do. I like the Netherlands in general, though, and I
still dislike Amsterdam in particular. It serves an admirable purpose
as a honey-trap for pot-heads, perverts and one-stoppers, and that's
as much as I'll say for it.

Des
Old December 15th, 2005, 09:43 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

schreef:

eat in Belgium wrote:

wish you'd chosen Belgium now, don't you )

Let's not exaggerate :-))

Anyway - "choice" didn't have much to do with it!

G;

better food, better drink, cheaper housing.....

Old December 15th, 2005, 10:36 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 09:02:28 GMT, "a.spencer3"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
On the basis of extensive experience (well, a few weeks) I can announce
that an in-depth study has found that Holland is the worst place in
Europe.

How has it earned this title?

Well, the weather and the landscape give it a head start over most
places.

True

[...]

:-)

Happy travels!

Well, I've spent far longer there, and in most other West European
countries, so I can compare.
I found the Netherlands one of the most pleasant by far in which to live.

Have you lived in the Netherlands or just visited the Netherlands?

Which part of Jeremy's post do you disagree with?
--

Lived on and off in a flat in Leyweg, Den Haag for some years.
Weather's little different to UK. I like the various types of scenery - it's

Surreyman

Old December 15th, 2005, 10:50 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Martin writes:

On 15 Dec 2005 09:28:47 +0000, Des Small
wrote:

"Iceman" writes:

The Van Gogh Museum and Rijksmuseum alone would justify a trip to
Amsterdam.

They would and do. I like the Netherlands in general, though, and I
still dislike Amsterdam in particular. It serves an admirable purpose
as a honey-trap for pot-heads, perverts and one-stoppers, and that's
as much as I'll say for it.

I go along with that. Did you mention Volendam? :-)

For some reason I keep neglecting to go there...

Des