Reducing noise complaints

Old November 14th, 2008, 06:50 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Mark T.B. Carroll

Default Reducing noise complaints

I was wondering, how do I learn more about how airports try to reduce
noise complaints? I presume that in figuring out operational stuff about
when to land which airplanes on what runways, and figuring out flight
paths for takeoff and landing, they must look at things like, where the
residential neighborhoods are, where the schools and hospitals are,
where the handy landmarks are for pilots to use as visual cues, how the
wind direction changes the noise patterns, that sort of thing. How can I
find out more about the process by which they site runways and try to
adjust flight operations to minimize complaints?

I see there are a couple of general airport books - e.g., `Airport
Planning & Management' seems to be into a fifth edition now - perhaps I
ought to see if I can get hold of copies of that sort of thing to see
how much attention they give the issue of how to arrange operations so
that the surrounding community is least irritated.

Mark
Old November 14th, 2008, 08:01 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Louis Krupp

Mark T.B. Carroll wrote:
[...]

Look up "noise abatement."

You can experience noise abatement as a passenger by booking a flight
out of, say, Orange County, California. Short takeoff roll, steep
climb, power cutback, eastbound turn over the Pacific... It's been a
while since I've been on one of those flights, so I may not be
remembering all this correctly, but yes, noise abatement can be fun.

Louis
Old November 14th, 2008, 09:30 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jim Davis[_1_]

"Mark T.B. Carroll" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds to me, that you're one of the community who is irritated by an
airport close by. What airport are you talking about?

Old November 14th, 2008, 10:37 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

Louis Krupp writes:

You can experience noise abatement as a passenger by booking a flight
out of, say, Orange County, California. Short takeoff roll, steep
climb, power cutback, eastbound turn over the Pacific... It's been a
while since I've been on one of those flights, so I may not be
remembering all this correctly, but yes, noise abatement can be fun.

Many forms of noise abatement reduce safety margins.
Old November 15th, 2008, 04:06 AM posted to rec.travel.air
jessica_smith_nyc

Usually they do site studies before they build an airport or
runway......most people who live near airports sound proof their homes
with extra insulation.

---
http://www.moviesitearchive.com/travel

Old November 15th, 2008, 05:05 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Mark T.B. Carroll

"Jim Davis" writes:

Sounds to me, that you're one of the community who is irritated by an
airport close by. What airport are you talking about?

No, that kind of thing doesn't bother me. Similarly police helicopters,
freight railways, that kind of thing. What /does/ bother me is the small
kids I have who wake up before me at weekends and play loudly. (-: Right
now I don't get any airplane noise at all - I live in Providence, RI,
near the MA border. Though, seeing as this is rec.travel.air, I may as
well incidentally mention that I was quite happy with O'Hare last night
- I was bumped from my flight to BOS, and was rerouted via ORD, and it
was nice to find I could go from a H gate to a K gate without going
through security yet again, and passing two food courts on the way.
Normally at O'Hare I seem to find myself having to go through the
psychadelic tunnel. (I saw another less-exciting tunnel, but with
colored lights and sounds, somewhere recently too - Detroit, maybe?)
I also seem to have read something at some point during these travels
yesterday evening (can't remember what, I was bored and read everything
I had to hand) about lithium ion battery hazards and I wondered if
that's why they don't like you putting laptops in checked bags.

Anyhow, I was curious because I had read this week that the US Navy is
interested in trying to find ways to reduce noise from military
airfields - apparently military aviation can be rather loud - and it
does seem there'd be a difficult balance to be struck between what's
ideal for the pilots and what works for the community. And, years ago, I
took a road trip down south and, among other things, saw Tinker AFB and,
if I recall correctly, there were some houses around it, and they
service things like KC-135s which I'm guessing are a bit loud when up
close, so I am guessing that they might face some of the same problems.

And then I got to wondering things like ... well, my vague impression of
takeoffs (I'm just a passenger) is they tend to be steeper than
landings, and I wondered if that's partly because the takeoff noise is
louder so they're trying to get it further away from people, or if it's
just a matter of that they think they're more likely to run into
surprise trouble at that point and want to have a bit more altitude as
breathing room before that happens. And if it's partly a noise issue,
that got me wondering if, say, for aircraft carriers at sea, Navy
aircraft might be lower for longer, there being nothing but fish to
irritate.

And, of course, with cities and suchlike, I wasn't sure /how/ you'd
trade things off. For instance, do they fly over commercial areas more
outside working hours? I have no idea, but I got curious. (Presumably
it's not official policy to note where the relatives of influential
politicians live. (-

Mark
Old November 15th, 2008, 05:13 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Mark T.B. Carroll

jessica_smith_nyc writes:

Usually they do site studies before they build an airport or
runway......most people who live near airports sound proof their homes
with extra insulation.

Mmmm, true. Though, of course, I suppose that as the community around
the area changes, and the actual aircraft and their schedules change,
there's an ongoing tug of war. I have a friend at the Ohio State
University who tells me that for years their airfield (OSU) has been at
loggerheads with the local city of Worthington, though I don't know how
much merit there is on either side.

I was surprised years ago when I lived very near a freeway exit in a
major city and the people on my part of the street were upset about the
traffic! It made me wonder if they'd noticed the freeway exit before
they moved in; it's certainly been there a long time.

Mark
Old November 15th, 2008, 08:54 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jim Davis[_1_]

"Jim Davis" writes:

Sounds to me, that you're one of the community who is irritated by an
airport close by. What airport are you talking about?

No, that kind of thing doesn't bother me. Similarly police helicopters,
freight railways, that kind of thing. What /does/ bother me is the small
kids I have who wake up before me at weekends and play loudly. (-: Right
now I don't get any airplane noise at all - I live in Providence, RI,
near the MA border.

By your question, I thought you may be ready to complain about the noise.
They had a big uproar in Houston a shor while back, but since the airport
was there before homes were built next door, the residents didn't have much
going for them.

Though, seeing as this is rec.travel.air, I may as
well incidentally mention that I was quite happy with O'Hare last night
- I was bumped from my flight to BOS, and was rerouted via ORD, and it
was nice to find I could go from a H gate to a K gate without going
through security yet again, and passing two food courts on the way.

Most of the airports are pretty self contained like that. A few (Like
Vegas) require you to pass through securtiy when changing concourses. (It
totally sucks, and wastes time.)

Normally at O'Hare I seem to find myself having to go through the
psychadelic tunnel. (I saw another less-exciting tunnel, but with
colored lights and sounds, somewhere recently too - Detroit, maybe?)
I also seem to have read something at some point during these travels
yesterday evening (can't remember what, I was bored and read everything
I had to hand) about lithium ion battery hazards and I wondered if
that's why they don't like you putting laptops in checked bags.

As I remember, they were concerned about people carrying spare batteries.

Anyhow, I was curious because I had read this week that the US Navy is
interested in trying to find ways to reduce noise from military
airfields - apparently military aviation can be rather loud - and it
does seem there'd be a difficult balance to be struck between what's
ideal for the pilots and what works for the community. And, years ago, I
took a road trip down south and, among other things, saw Tinker AFB and,
if I recall correctly, there were some houses around it, and they
service things like KC-135s which I'm guessing are a bit loud when up
close, so I am guessing that they might face some of the same problems.

St. Louis is like that. When the military jets take off, you deffinately
can tell the differance in sound. Those guys are heading straight up, and
are gone in seconds.

And then I got to wondering things like ... well, my vague impression of
takeoffs (I'm just a passenger) is they tend to be steeper than
landings, and I wondered if that's partly because the takeoff noise is
louder so they're trying to get it further away from people, or if it's
just a matter of that they think they're more likely to run into
surprise trouble at that point and want to have a bit more altitude as
breathing room before that happens. And if it's partly a noise issue,
that got me wondering if, say, for aircraft carriers at sea, Navy
aircraft might be lower for longer, there being nothing but fish to
irritate.

John Wayne Airport comes to mind. You take off, slow up and level off
untill you clear the residential area, then climb again.

Old November 15th, 2008, 10:51 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Mark T.B. Carroll

"Jim Davis" writes:

Most of the airports are pretty self contained like that. A few (Like
Vegas) require you to pass through securtiy when changing concourses. (It
totally sucks, and wastes time.)

Yeah, I guess it comes of retrofitting security onto airports that used
to let the public wander right up to the gates. When I use the ORD
psychadelic tunnel I think I have to go through security again. If I
recall correctly, at CMH you can even have to go through security
getting from some A gates to some others.

St. Louis is like that. When the military jets take off, you deffinately
can tell the differance in sound. Those guys are heading straight up, and
are gone in seconds.

Wow.

John Wayne Airport comes to mind. You take off, slow up and level off
untill you clear the residential area, then climb again.

Interesting contrast. I should have guessed that maybe you have
shallower parts to reduce noise.

Mark
Old November 16th, 2008, 05:07 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jesper Lauridsen[_1_]

On 2008-11-15, jessica_smith_nyc wrote:
Usually they do site studies before they build an airport or
runway......

And then new neighbourhoods are built next to the airport, and
then we have noise complaints anyway.