Need advice for a pre cruise hotel in Galveston Tx.

Old October 1st, 2003, 01:51 AM
Florence and Lou Roth

Default Need advice for a pre cruise hotel in Galveston Tx.

Sue
I would really like to stay in Galveston. We're going in 2 days earlier
to make it an extended vacation. Heard that Moody Gardens in Galveston
is a fun place to visit, so we'll do that on our free day. We are going
with our senior travel group here on Long Island. We were originaly
going to take the cruise air with them before we decided to fly in
earlier. By doing our own air & transportation, we actually saved enough
money to pay for the hotel.
We'll be flying out of La Guardia on Continental. It is the only airline
I could find with non stop flights. Hate those connecting flights
especially in the middle of winter.
Got some feedback on Cruise Critic about Commodore hotel & it was a
positive review. It is also across the street from one of the best
seafood restaurants in Galveston. It's a little pricey , but after this
cruise we will stick to cruising out of NY.
Looking at the 10 day Thanksgiving NCL Dawn cruise next year. Has a
great itinerary. 5 Caribbean ports.

Florence

Old October 1st, 2003, 02:57 AM
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Florence,

We have just booked the BW Beachfront Inn(best wester), using
travelocity. It is only a couple of miles from Moody Gardens and less
then 5 miles from the port. I didn't see the Commodore listed on
galveston.com or travelocity. Have you booked it yet?

We asked about cruise air and it was over $588 from Philly, we can get
it for much less. Kevin said he has seen non stops from Philly on
Continental also. When ever we fly we try to do non stop.

We are former NYers and love to cruise out of NY. Other then Bermuda
which we just did, we don't like the itins available.

Sue

Old October 1st, 2003, 04:09 AM
Florence and Lou Roth

Sue
I haven't booked yet. Iwill check out the BW Beachfront in the morning.
The 2/18/04 itinerary for NCL Dawn is
St.Thomas
Barbados
Antigua
St. Maarten
Tortola BVI
The only port that we've been to is St. Thomas, so this is a good
itinerary for us.
And I won't have to cook on Thanksgiving!!

Florence

Old October 1st, 2003, 04:28 AM
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Florence and Lou Roth wrote:
Sue
I haven't booked yet. Iwill check out the BW Beachfront in the morning.

You may have an easier time finding a hotel, a lot of them are requiring
a two day stay. For a one day stay, which is what we are doing, there
isn't a lot available. The BW isn't cheap, it is almost $160/night.

The 2/18/04 itinerary for NCL Dawn is
St.Thomas
Barbados
Antigua
St. Maarten
Tortola BVI
The only port that we've been to is St. Thomas, so this is a good
itinerary for us.
And I won't have to cook on Thanksgiving!!

That is a nice itin, but I don't think it is their normal itin. I can't
cruise over thanksgiving, it is our families big holiday of the year.
The tradition goes back to my Grandmother and I am the thanksgiving cook!!

sue

Old October 1st, 2003, 05:04 PM
Florence and Lou Roth

Sue
I used to be the Thanksgiving cook, but now my family has dwindled down
to a precious few -- & they're scattered around the country. My daughter
on L.I. is now the Thanksgiving cook & I help out. My son in law has a
large family & they fill up the house. I don't think we'll be missed if
we go on a cruise this one time.

Florence ------ still researching hotel rooms in Galveston

Old October 1st, 2003, 06:57 PM
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Florence and Lou Roth wrote:
Sue
I used to be the Thanksgiving cook, but now my family has dwindled down
to a precious few -- & they're scattered around the country. My daughter
on L.I. is now the Thanksgiving cook & I help out. My son in law has a
large family & they fill up the house. I don't think we'll be missed if
we go on a cruise this one time.

I may complain about it, but I do enjoy cooking for thanksgiving. The
only other family member who has the space, doesn't do a good job. Also
my sister had 5 boys, my nephews. With my sister and her husband both
deceased, we try to be there for my nephews and this makes thanksgiving
even more important to me.

Florence ------ still researching hotel rooms in Galveston

Since you are staying two nights, you won't have a problem.

sue

Old October 5th, 2003, 01:55 AM
Becca

I would really like to stay in Galveston. We're going in 2 days earlier
to make it an extended vacation. Heard that Moody Gardens

Florence, if you are looking for a unique hotel in Galveston, consider
staying on the Stacia-Lee. She is a 120' Schooner, built in 1906.
She made her way to the US when Mussolini died. She docks near the
Strand on Pier 22, near the cruise ships. The porters will come and
pick up your luggage. Although you are flying I should mention they
offer free parking for cruise ship passengers.

http://www.stacia-leigh.com/frame.html

Becca -----You can watch your ship coming in...

GGC http://www.ggc2004.com/
Norwegian Dawn http://www.cruisemaster.com/dawn.htm
Sleazy3 http://www.cruisemaster.com/sleazy3.htm
MOAGC http://www.motherofallgroupcruises.com/
Old October 5th, 2003, 07:56 PM
Jean O'Boyle

"Becca" wrote in message
Florence, if you are looking for a unique hotel in Galveston, consider
staying on the Stacia-Lee. She is a 120' Schooner, built in 1906.
She made her way to the US when Mussolini died. She docks near the
Strand on Pier 22, near the cruise ships. The porters will come and
pick up your luggage. Although you are flying I should mention they
offer free parking for cruise ship passengers.

http://www.stacia-leigh.com/frame.html

Becca, what a neat place! Thanks for sharing~~It goes in my favorites file
under Galveston!

--Jean

Old October 5th, 2003, 08:29 PM
Florence and Lou Roth

Thank you for responding Becca.
I knew you were out there & lived near by.
Interesting website. I filled out their form & am waiting to hear if
they have anything available for our dates.

Florence

Old October 6th, 2003, 09:07 PM
Bill Crilley

holliday inn