Colombia Internal Flights

Old December 31st, 2008, 03:36 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
[email protected]

Default Colombia Internal Flights

I am planning a trip to Colombia in February. I am going on a
frequent flyer ticket from New York, and this ticket will get me to
either Bogota or Medellin. I want to spend most of my time in
Cartagena, so firstly, I have a choice of either Bogota or Medellin to
spend a couple of days in. Does anyone have any suggestions on which
of these two major cities would be the most satisfying?

Secondly, I need to get an internal round-trip flight from either of
these cities to Cartagena. I have looked online and I am blown away
by the cost. It looks like a round-trip ticket is going to run me
about $400 US. This is seriously steep, considering I can get a round
trip to many European cities right now for that price. Am I just
looking in the wrong places online? Is $400 really right? I don't
have time for long bus trips, so flying is my only option.
Old January 5th, 2009, 06:19 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
yaofeng

On Dec 31 2008, 10:36*am, wrote:
I am planning a trip to Colombia in February. *I am going on a
frequent flyer ticket from New York, and this ticket will get me to
either Bogota or Medellin. *I want to spend most of my time in
Cartagena, so firstly, I have a choice of either Bogota or Medellin to
spend a couple of days in. *Does anyone have any suggestions on which
of these two major cities would be the most satisfying?

Secondly, I need to get an internal round-trip flight from either of
these cities to Cartagena. *I have looked online and I am blown away
by the cost. *It looks like a round-trip ticket is going to run me
about $400 US. *This is seriously steep, considering I can get a round
trip to many European cities right now for that price. *Am I just
looking in the wrong places online? *Is $400 really right? *I don't
have time for long bus trips, so flying is my only option.

There are several carriers for domestic glights in Colombia. Check
this,

http://www.airlineroutemaps.com/Lati...ca/index.shtml

Avianca is of course the largest. If you pick your days of travel,
there are discounts to have.
Old January 6th, 2009, 02:24 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Robert Broughton

yaofeng wrote:

http://www.airlineroutemaps.com/Lati...ca/index.shtml

Avianca is of course the largest.

Not only that, Avianca is the world's oldest commercial airline.

--
Bob Broughton
http://broughton.ca/

- Robert Wagner, June 6, 2008

they should buy some new planes then.....
Old January 8th, 2009, 06:51 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
yaofeng

On Dec 31 2008, 10:36*am, wrote:
I am planning a trip to Colombia in February. *I am going on a
frequent flyer ticket from New York, and this ticket will get me to
either Bogota or Medellin. *I want to spend most of my time in
Cartagena, so firstly, I have a choice of either Bogota or Medellin to
spend a couple of days in. *Does anyone have any suggestions on which
of these two major cities would be the most satisfying?

Secondly, I need to get an internal round-trip flight from either of
these cities to Cartagena. *I have looked online and I am blown away
by the cost. *It looks like a round-trip ticket is going to run me
about $400 US. *This is seriously steep, considering I can get a round
trip to many European cities right now for that price. *Am I just
looking in the wrong places online? *Is $400 really right? *I don't
have time for long bus trips, so flying is my only option.

In order of the size, coverage, and perhaps ticket prices for
Colombian domestic air carriers,

Avianca,
Aero Republica,
Satena,
Aires.

We flew Avianca and Aero Republica. Both are okay and quite no
frill. Flight time is short anyway from Bogota to any other places in
the country. Avianca's web site is probably best out of the four for
buying a ticket. Satena is the civilian operation of the Colombian
Air Force. Aero Republica is part of Copa I believe.

Come to think of it $400 RT between Bogota and Cartagena does not
surprise me at all. We paid close to $200 ($180 some) last year
around this time flying from Cartagena to Bogota oneway via Avianca.
We flew on the last day of the Colombian New Year vacation period. We
did not have a choice. Needed to catch the flight from Bogota back to
the US. But like I said, there were bargains to be had (around $130
IIRC) if we could fly a few days later.

Old January 9th, 2009, 02:54 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Robert Broughton

yaofeng wrote:

http://www.airlineroutemaps.com/Lati...ca/index.shtml

Avianca is of course the largest.

Not only that, Avianca is the world's oldest commercial airline.

they should buy some new planes then.....

Well, I hope they've replaced the DC-3's by now.

- Robert Wagner, June 6, 2008