Cheaper air fares to Paris in Oct., November?

Old July 27th, 2010, 04:23 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Jim Cate

Default Cheaper air fares to Paris in Oct., November?

We are hoping to be able to fly from Houston to Paris this Fall. The major
carriers serving Houston are Continental and Air France, and the available
fares seem to be rather expensive. From past experience, should we expect to
see some discounts toward the end of the summer, and if so, when? In other
words, when should we plan to get our reservations and tickets? (It's
strange that, for the past month, Continental is offering fares to CDG from
Austin in October for almost $200 less than the fares from Houston.)

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Jim

Old July 27th, 2010, 08:22 AM posted to rec.travel.air
JohnT[_7_]

"Jim Cate" wrote in message
We are hoping to be able to fly from Houston to Paris this Fall. The major
carriers serving Houston are Continental and Air France, and the available
fares seem to be rather expensive. From past experience, should we expect
to see some discounts toward the end of the summer, and if so, when? In
other words, when should we plan to get our reservations and tickets?
(It's strange that, for the past month, Continental is offering fares to
CDG from Austin in October for almost $200 less than the fares from
Houston.)

I looked at fares IAH to CDG for early to mid October and was quoted about
US $800 for direct flights. About US $70 less if you are willing to be
routed via Montreal. I think it unlikely that those prices will reduce by
any significant amount.
--
JohnT

Old July 27th, 2010, 04:23 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jim Cate

"JohnT" wrote in message

"Jim Cate" wrote in message
We are hoping to be able to fly from Houston to Paris this Fall. The
major carriers serving Houston are Continental and Air France, and the
available fares seem to be rather expensive. From past experience, should
we expect to see some discounts toward the end of the summer, and if so,
when? In other words, when should we plan to get our reservations and
tickets? (It's strange that, for the past month, Continental is offering
fares to CDG from Austin in October for almost $200 less than the fares
from Houston.)

I looked at fares IAH to CDG for early to mid October and was quoted about
US $800 for direct flights. About US $70 less if you are willing to be
routed via Montreal. I think it unlikely that those prices will reduce by
any significant amount.
--
JohnT

To clarify your note, is the $800 fare the total for round trip tickets,
including fees and taxes? That's approximately what Continental reservations
quoted. Based on our experience in the past, they sometimes offer further
discounts after the summer peak season, and I'm wondering how long, if at
all, we should wait to reserve the tickets.

Jim

Old July 27th, 2010, 07:37 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Louis Krupp[_2_]

On 7/27/2010 9:23 AM, Jim Cate wrote:
wrote in message

"Jim wrote in message
[...]

I looked at http://itasoftware.com and US Airways and found about the
same thing -- a $721 round trip fare (connecting in Charlotte, NC)
including taxes and fees. If you don't mind two connections --
Charlotte and Philadelphia -- on the way home, there's a $688 fare.

If you find something you can live with and confirm it, you'll have one
less thing to worry about.

Louis
Old July 30th, 2010, 08:14 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jim Cate

wrote in message

"Jim wrote in message
[...]

If the fares are relatively stable such that it's not worth looking for
discounts or specials, why is Continental charging $645 roundtrip from
Houston (plus fees), but only $437 roundtrip from Austin? That's a
difference of around $415 for two people, which is fairly significant to me.

Jim