Trip to Spain

Old December 29th, 2004, 11:59 AM

Default Trip to Spain

We are starting to plan a trip to Spain (2 weeks) for Aug. 2005.
Places of interest include Marbella, Malaga, Valencia, Zaragoza,
Barcelona and Madrid. We are 3 and would like to travel on a relative
modest budget. We intend to rent a car and move through the listed
cities visiting the sites and enjoying the people and the local food.
We speak the language but don't have contacts in Spain. Can someone
tell us the best way to secure decent and reasonably priced
accomodation at the various cities. You assistance would be very much
appreciated.

Old December 29th, 2004, 01:51 PM
The Reids

Following up to The Reids

I would choose something from Grenada, Toledo, Cordoba, Cadiz,
Sevilla, Barcelona maybe, St Sebastian, Santiago de Compostela,
Segovia.

and of course southern Spain gets pretty hot in August. Marbella
with be packed with Brits and Germans on holiday.
--
Mike Reid
Wasdale-Thames path-London-photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Old December 29th, 2004, 02:55 PM

Unless you want some beach time, I'd recommend Madrid, Barcelona,
Seville and Granada for a 2 week trip. Try to fly into Barcelona and
out of Madrid so you don't have to backtrack. And take trains or buses
- you don't need a car in Spain unless you really want to get off the
beaten track.

Old December 29th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Keith

"The Reids" wrote in message
Following up to The Reids

I would choose something from Grenada, Toledo, Cordoba, Cadiz,
Sevilla, Barcelona maybe, St Sebastian, Santiago de Compostela,
Segovia.

and of course southern Spain gets pretty hot in August. Marbella
with be packed with Brits and Germans on holiday.

Seville in MAY was 96F a few years back. I couldn't imagine how hot and
humid it gets in August. The coastal regions will be cooler. Marbella,
whether packed with people or not, is a beautiful place. Our next trip will
include at least 3 or 4 days there. On our last trip, we never actually
made it into the city proper, which I'm sure is very cool, but on the
outskirts along highway N340 (IIRC). Once we checked into our hotel, after
seeing the views, we immediately extended our stay a couple days longer to
enjoy the relaxation.

I would skip Malaga because from what I understand it is an old commercial
port city --- not necessarily catering to the tourist as much as other
cities in the Costa Del Sol region. There aren't alot of attractions,
restaurants, nightlife, etc. For what it's worth, for a couple years,
Malaga was listed on the Travel Warning Sheets put out by the State Dept. as
having some of the highest crime statistics in Spain. When we did research,
we also found more than one place that listed Malaga has having a high crime
rate.

Keith
Pittsburgh

Old December 29th, 2004, 03:26 PM
The Reids

Following up to Keith

I would skip Malaga because from what I understand it is an old commercial
port city --- not necessarily catering to the tourist as much as other
cities in the Costa Del Sol region. There aren't alot of attractions,
restaurants, nightlife, etc.

It has a castle and an old quarter, but yes its also a port and
YES largely free of foreign tourists!
"http://www.fell-walker.co.uk/fell-walker\malaga1.htm"
"http://www.fell-walker.co.uk/fell-walker\malaga2.htm"

There are plenty of restaurants and bars in the old quarter and a
good shopping centre if you want it. But I agree its not a top
target destination.

For what it's worth, for a couple years,
Malaga was listed on the Travel Warning Sheets put out by the State Dept. as
having some of the highest crime statistics in Spain. When we did research,
we also found more than one place that listed Malaga has having a high crime
rate.

I wouldn't worry about the crime, pickpockets etc targeting the
unwary and thefts from cars. I wander the city centres of
Andalucia without problem. Madrid and Barcelona have more crime
IMHO. But crime in Spain isn't bad enough to deter anyone from
going.