"Security Check Baggage" - Yellow Label?

Old February 20th, 2004, 08:00 PM
Mike Myers

Default "Security Check Baggage" - Yellow Label?

Hi,

Can anyone point me to some online source which explains this, I noticed today
that my flight from Berlin to Humberside, via Amsterdam that when I got to
Humberside I noticed my luggage had been marked.

The yellow ticket read "Bundesgrenzscutz - BGSI - Flughafen Berlin-Tegal,
Sicherheitskontrolle Reisegepack, Security Check Baggage"

When I got to Humberside, while I was waiting for my luggage I noticed I was
eyed up by the customs officials (This was before I actually had got my luggage
and before I noticed the yellow label).

Anyway I gets my bag and low and behold as I am walking out the collection area
I am approached by one of the customs guys who says he wants to search my bags
and such. I am fine with this, and then leads me to the check area and then
proceeds to ask for my ID (why he didn't ask for my passport when I was quite
obviously in an Airport and just come through immigration was kinda odd )).
Anyway. The area is really busy with all kinds of peoples stuff being checked.
(I notice mainly people who I had seen and travelling alone). He asks me a few
questions, then tries to be nice by asking if I had a nice trip. (Yeh it would
be much nicer if I could go on my way). So just as I am about to hand over my
luggage another customs guy comes over (his boss) and whispers to this one, and
then he says "Oh, its ok. We don't need to check your bag now, just the
document check was fine". I am then allowed to leave.

I was kinda hoping I could have asked him a few questions but he hurried off.

So, was I stopped because of this yellow label? Did it mean simply because my
bag was locked that it should be looked at? Or had it already been examined in
Germany? Did they know my luggage had been "security" flagged hence knew who I
was before I even got to the baggage collection area? Did the 2nd guy notice
the yellow thingy and then decided on the sudden non-search? Or did they notice
it and then decide to search. Was it all just a coincidence because I was mr
suspicious or something? You decide )

Odd.

Seriously. Anyone know the real reasons. I am sure there are 100
interpretations of the theme but what's the official line?

Thanks

Mike
--
Mike Myers