Copper Canyon Road Trip Questions

Old March 22nd, 2004, 06:57 AM
Bad Bart

Default Copper Canyon Road Trip Questions

Hello!

I have 10-12 days to fill in mid-June and a friend and I are hoping to make
a road trip to the Copper Canyon region, entering Mexico at Juarez and
driving to Creel. I've been lurking here for some time and have found lots
of helpful info and advice. However, in putting together a possible
itinerary, a whole slew of questions have come to mind that I haven't found
clear answers to elsewhere, hence this post. Any answers or feedback to any
of the questions below will be very much appreciated.

1) Is it reasonable to drive from Nuevo Casas Grandes to Basaseachic Falls
via Highways 10, 28, 23 and 16 (via Madera and La Junta) in one day? How are
the road conditions? Estimated time to drive this stretch?

2) At Basaseachic Falls, we probably won't be making the six-hour round trip
hike to the base of the falls. But I understand there are some good
viewpoints without making the entire hike. True?

3) What are the chances in mid-June of arriving in Creel without room
reservations and getting a place to stay? I've found a couple of places on
the Net (Best Western, Villa Mexicana) that can be reserved on-line, but
they are pricey. I have phone numbers of several other places in Creel that
are probably more reasonable. Anyone have any suggestions or
recommendations? Or, again, are reservations even advisable for that time of
year?

4) We'd like to take the train into the canyons perhaps as far as Temoris or
Bahuichivo to spend at least one night. Is it possible to just go to the
station in Creel before the train leaves and get tickets on the spot? There
are outfits in the US that will make reservations and sell tickets but only
for first class. We are fine with second class.

5) Once in Temoris or Bahuichivo, what is the ease of getting lodging (clean
room, private bath, if possible)? Reservations recommended? Can those
arrangements be made once in Creel, or is it better to book something
farther in advance?

6) We'd like to take an overnight (at least) bus excursion to Batopilas.
From what I've read, it seems easy enough to arrange a trip from any hotel
in Creel. True?

7) Should there be any problem finding a place to stay in Batopilas in
mid-June? Or are accommodations booked as part of the bus trip or
separately? If separately, any recommendations of places to stay?
Reservations advised/necessary?

Sorry for the long post and all the questions. And many thanks in advance
for any answers and advice!

Happy travels to all,

Bart

Old March 22nd, 2004, 04:44 PM
Donald Hazle

Bart,
I can answer a few of your questions.

#3 We were there two weeks ago and nothing was filled expect the
hotels in El Furte. The hotels in the canyon and Creel appeared to
have plenty of room. Our guide said that business was off about 30%
for the last 2 years. However he said that the Mexicans normally come
to the canyon in the summer.

If you are going only to Temoris you will be on the second class
train. The first class train does not stop there. Your will also miss
some of the best scenery between Temoris and El Furte.

I saw several hotel bus tours. But will they run in the heat of
summer... I just don't know.

Don Hazle

"Bad Bart" wrote in message .com...
[...]

From what I've read, it seems easy enough to arrange a trip from any hotel

Old March 22nd, 2004, 06:15 PM
Technobarbarian

"Bad Bart" wrote in message
. com...
Hello!

2) At Basaseachic Falls, we probably won't be making the six-hour round

trip
hike to the base of the falls. But I understand there are some good
viewpoints without making the entire hike. True?

Yes, the view from the top of the falls is quite spectacular.

3) What are the chances in mid-June of arriving in Creel without room
reservations and getting a place to stay? I've found a couple of places on
the Net (Best Western, Villa Mexicana) that can be reserved on-line, but
they are pricey. I have phone numbers of several other places in Creel

that
are probably more reasonable. Anyone have any suggestions or
recommendations? Or, again, are reservations even advisable for that time

of
year?

The Los Pinos is clean and comfortable. I can't remember the name of the
place that the hostel near the main square sent us to when they were full,
but it was nicer and very reasonable. Most of the time there seems to be
plenty of rooms in Creel.

4) We'd like to take the train into the canyons perhaps as far as Temoris

or
Bahuichivo to spend at least one night. Is it possible to just go to the
station in Creel before the train leaves and get tickets on the spot?

There
are outfits in the US that will make reservations and sell tickets but

only
for first class. We are fine with second class.

Tickets are sold on the train as a matter of course. I enjoyed the
second class train. It's clean and comfortable. You get to mix with the
locals. Food is limited, so pack a big lunch.

6) We'd like to take an overnight (at least) bus excursion to Batopilas.
From what I've read, it seems easy enough to arrange a trip from any

hotel
in Creel. True?

I've only driven there, but it looks very easy to arrange
transportation. There's a bus that runs one way one day and the opposite
direction the next. According to a sign on the main square the taxis there
(old toyota sedans) will take you to Batopilias. There are any number of
private or group tours you could take. If you hang around the main square
for any length of time you will be repeatedly asked if you'd like a tour. I
enjoyed the Casa Monse when I was there. It's very rustic. It's located
between the main square and the river, which puts you in the middle of what
little is going on there. I found the owners very interesting people to chat
with.

Dennis

Old March 26th, 2004, 04:51 AM
Bad Bart

Thanks, Don, for your reply. Your observation about hotel space in Creel and
the canyon is encouraging. I appreciated your mention of the scenery between
Temoris and El Fuerte. I am now considering extending the rail portion of
the trip to El Fuerte,

BTW, I enjoyed your report of your trip in your earlier post!.

Many thanks again,

Bart

om...

Old March 26th, 2004, 05:00 AM
Bad Bart

Dennis,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I've enjoyed reading your posts over all the
time I've lurked in this NG. Your experience and answers will go a long way
in helping me plan my trip. I especially appreciated your Los Pinos tip and
your comments regarding the ease of arranging a trip to Batopilas.

I have a couple of further questions about the train: Just to clarify, when
you said that tickets are "sold on the train as a matter of course," you
meant that second class tickets can be bought right on the spot prior to
departure, yes? And is it correct that there are two distinct trains, one
first class and the other second? (I had been thinking there was only one
train each way each day with both first- and second-class cars.)

Also do you know if Creel has an ATM?

Again, many thanks for the help you've already given.

Bart

"Technobarbarian" wrote in message

"Bad Bart" wrote in message
. com...
Hello!

[...]

From what I've read, it seems easy enough to arrange a trip from any

Old March 26th, 2004, 06:00 AM
Technobarbarian

"Bad Bart" wrote in message
. com...

I have a couple of further questions about the train: Just to clarify,

when
you said that tickets are "sold on the train as a matter of course," you
meant that second class tickets can be bought right on the spot prior to
departure, yes?

In Creel you actually buy tickets from the conducter after you've
boarded the train. The conducter comes around with a handheld electronic
device that prints out the tickets. Tickets are not sold at the station.
They are sold at the station in Los Mochis.

And is it correct that there are two distinct trains, one
first class and the other second? (I had been thinking there was only one
train each way each day with both first- and second-class cars.)

There are two distinct trains that travel about an hour apart, with the
first class train in the lead.

Also do you know if Creel has an ATM?

You know, there must be one there somewhere, but I don't remember
seeing it, or a bank. Pretty much every bank in Mexico has an ATM, but I
don't recall having seen either in Creel.

Dennis

Old March 28th, 2004, 11:41 PM
Donald Hazle

Bart, I should mention that the it is the hour and 30 minutes after
Temoris that is real good. After that the the remainder of the trip
into El Fuerte is flat but still somewhat interesting. Since you are
going in summer it still be light at that time... it was dark for us.
Don

Old March 29th, 2004, 05:51 AM
Bad Bart

Many thanks again, Dennis, for the additional information and for clarifying
the fact that there are two distinct trains, one for each class. You've been
a huge help.

It seems you've traveled a lot by road through much of Mexico, so here's
another question for you: Would you have any idea if the trip from Nuevo
Casas Grandes to Basaseachic could be comfortably done in one day? I am
planning to go via Madera and La Junta, Hwys. 10, 28, 23, and 16.
Kilometer-wise it looks very doable, but do you know anything about the road
conditions or other possible delays on that route?

Nuevamente gracias mil. Muy amable!

Bart

"Technobarbarian" wrote in message

. com...

Old March 29th, 2004, 06:03 AM
Bad Bart

Don,

Thanks for the recommendation on the stretch after Temoris. It sounds like
an amazing ride!

Another question for you: Is the train stop at Divisadero the only one that
is long enough for getting some good pictures of the canyons, or are there
plenty of other photo ops along the way, both from the train or at the
various stops?

Many thanks again. Your experience is very helpful.

Bart

"Donald Hazle" wrote in message
om...
Bart, I should mention that the it is the hour and 30 minutes after
Temoris that is real good. After that the the remainder of the trip
into El Fuerte is flat but still somewhat interesting. Since you are
going in summer it still be light at that time... it was dark for us.
Don

.com...

Old March 29th, 2004, 05:13 PM
Technobarbarian

"Bad Bart" wrote in message
news
It seems you've traveled a lot by road through much of Mexico, so here's
another question for you: Would you have any idea if the trip from Nuevo
Casas Grandes to Basaseachic could be comfortably done in one day? I am
planning to go via Madera and La Junta, Hwys. 10, 28, 23, and 16.
Kilometer-wise it looks very doable, but do you know anything about the

road
conditions or other possible delays on that route?

The only time I drove through there we went Nuevo Casas Grandes to
Cuautemoc to Creel and then Basaseachic, so I haven't seen some of the road
you're asking about. It looks doable on my map too, but you're skipping by
the Menonite country near Cuauhtemoc. It's mildly interesting and you can
pick up some of their justly famous cheese. Our (abysmal) guidebook said you
could tour the cheese factories. This is not true, but you can peek in
through the windows on technology that hasn't been generally used in the
States for over 30 years. Seeing ethnic Germans living in Mexico and
retaining their culture is a wonderful cultural disconnect. Their
restaurants are an interesting blend of cultures.

I would also add that what looks doable in the Guia Roji atlas can be
very different from what you actually find. I've taken some drives that way
that were interesting, but not what I expected.

You should also consider slowing down to take a look at some of the
little sawmills along the way. I saw some on the road to Basaseachic very
similar to a small mill I had helped operate as a museum artifact. The only
real difference being that they had replaced the steam engine with a gas or
diesel engine. The rest of it was the same late 1800's technology that we
had used. You'll also see some modern portable mills operating as commercial
ventures in that area. Even the larger mills in the region are a technology
that began disappearing over 50 years ago in the States.

As you're going to be in Nuevo Casas Grandes I assume you're planning on
seeing Paquime. It's possible to pick up Mata Ortiz style pottery near the
ruins at reasonable prices. The stuff basically comes in two grades. Items
made for the tourist trade will have thicker walls and won't be particularly
well finished inside. The collector grade stuff will have thin walls and a
nice finish inside. As it looks just as good outside the tourist grade stuff
is fine with me. Anyone who thinks their collector grade stuff is going to
appreciate in value in their lifetime is kidding themselves, even if they
buy from famous artists in Mata Ortiz. There's just too much of it. You'll
see amazing prices on Mata Ortiz potter in the States. In Mexico you'll have
to shop around and bargain to get the best prices.

Some of the towns in that area were founded and mostly populated by
Mormons. They're also interesting in their differences from the rest of
Mexico. The houses often reflect more American tastes.

Mata Ortiz itself is also mildly interesting, if you have a car capable
of the trip. The last twelve miles or so is gravel road. It looks like it's
generally well maintained by you have to cross a creek with a gravel bottom
and no bridge to get to it. There are two crossings. The upper one is
easier. I suspect some of the locals like to send tourists to the lower one
as some sort of local joke. There's an old ranch house that was once the
center of a huge ranching empire about half way there. Mata Ortiz was once
the home of a very large sawmill. Other than the potters it's now a pretty
sleepy place. You would, of course, meet a lot of potters there and get to
see a lot of pottery.

Dennis