Specialty Restaurants on ships

Old August 30th, 2007, 01:28 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

Default Specialty Restaurants on ships

I am hijacking this subject from another thread...

"Diana Ball" wrote

And the specialty restaurant
(best food we've had on the seas) succeeded in evoking a big city supper
club of another era.

Which leads to some questions...

What do you think about "specialty restaurants" on ships?

If you go to these restaurants, what was your favorite meal?

I have to admit I dislike the concept of additional pay, specialty
restaurants on ships. I think dining in the dining room should be "special"
but it has become ordinary. Waiters singing, Maitre 'ds who think they were
born to spend their life talking on a microphone, trying to feed 3500 people
in 3 hours. Most dining room food and service is very good, but for me, it
is no longer "special".

My favorite meal in a specialty restaurant was on the Carnival Conquest. We
had dinner with my brother and his wife, it was their first cruise and their
honeymoon and Carnival does an excellent job.

--
George Leppla http://www.CruiseMaster.com

January 20, 2008 - GGC2008 - http://cruisemaster.com/adventure.htm
October 26, 2008 Sleazy 5 http://www.cruisemaster.com/sleazy5.htm

Old August 30th, 2007, 02:04 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Joseph Coulter[_3_]

"George Leppla" wrote in
:

I am hijacking this subject from another thread...

"Diana Ball" wrote

And the specialty restaurant
(best food we've had on the seas) succeeded in evoking a big city
supper club of another era.

Which leads to some questions...

What do you think about "specialty restaurants" on ships?

If you go to these restaurants, what was your favorite meal?

I have to admit I dislike the concept of additional pay, specialty
restaurants on ships. I think dining in the dining room should be
"special" but it has become ordinary. Waiters singing, Maitre 'ds who
think they were born to spend their life talking on a microphone,
trying to feed 3500 people in 3 hours. Most dining room food and
service is very good, but for me, it is no longer "special".

I agree on the singing waiters and theme nights in general, forced fun
is not fun.If I shoose to go to a theme restaurant that is another issue
and I have enjoyed themed fare immensely including Don Vito's on the
Radisson Diamond.

Specialty restaurants that have been more than worth the charge are of
course those which did not charge such as the Italian restaurant on
Crystal and Signatures on RSSC Voyager, Great service, excellent food,
and total respect for the dining experience. On the mass market ships
that I have had the specialty meals I have found the the ambience was
the most special part. It was nice to have a relatively quiet room in
wihich to dine with less distraction, but I too am not fond of paying
for food on a cruise, it just doesn't work well in my head.

--
Joseph Coulter, cruises and vacations
www.josephcoulter.com

877 832 2021
904 631 8863 cell

Old August 30th, 2007, 03:31 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue and Kevin Mullen

George Leppla wrote:

My favorite meal in a specialty restaurant was on the Carnival Conquest. We
had dinner with my brother and his wife, it was their first cruise and their
honeymoon and Carnival does an excellent job.

My favorite was "Palo" on the Disney Magic. We went there for brunch and
another day for dinner and the food and service were excellant.

sue
Old August 30th, 2007, 04:10 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Becca

Sue and Kevin Mullen wrote:

My favorite was "Palo" on the Disney Magic. We went there for brunch and
another day for dinner and the food and service were excellant.

sue

The restaurants where you pay, on Princess, were fine. NCL was better,
IMO, because they offered more variety, and the food was very good. The
best I have tried, were on Carnival.

Becca
Old August 30th, 2007, 04:30 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
LeeNY

George Leppla wrote:
I am hijacking this subject from another thread...

"Diana Ball" wrote

And the specialty restaurant
(best food we've had on the seas) succeeded in evoking a big city supper
club of another era.

Which leads to some questions...

What do you think about "specialty restaurants" on ships?

If you go to these restaurants, what was your favorite meal?

On my very first cruise, aboard the NCL Leeward, we ate in Le Bistro.
I remember it being a very nice meal. As this was our first cruise, we
had nothing in which to compare our onboard dining experience - it was
all great, because it was new and different. And, at that time, NCL
was still traditional dining. The only thing I specifically remember,
food-wise, from that cruise, were the great homemade cookies that they
put out every afternoon...trays of them...and they were great.

Following that first cruise were cruises on RCI, Princess and HAL. The
company in the dining room for those cruises was so great, that the
food quality, presentation and taste became of secondary importance to
us. We looked forward to our meals in the main dining room, just for
the fun. I believe there was a specialty steakhouse option on Sea
Princess at that time, but I'm not sure the others even had an
alternative dining venue, other than the buffet restaurant.

On two subsequent HAL cruises, I've dined in their Odyssey restaurant,
and I've had great meals. But, I'm not sure I'd spend the extra money
again...I was traveling with different people on each of those
cruises, so the second Odyssey meal was so that my co-cruiser could
also experience the meal.

My last cruise was on the Miracle...and I enthusiastically agree with
Diana B. The specialty steak house on board that ship is top notch
dining. And, the venue, itself, is beautiful. We had a great meal
there - I'd highly recommend the splurge to all Miracle passengers.

I guess, if the cruise lines did away with the specialty restaurants,
I wouldn't miss them. But, while they're there, I'll probably continue
to treat myself to one meal during the cruise.

Lee

Old August 30th, 2007, 05:14 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Becca wrote:
Sue and Kevin Mullen wrote:

My favorite was "Palo" on the Disney Magic. We went there for brunch
and another day for dinner and the food and service were excellant.

sue

The restaurants where you pay, on Princess, were fine. NCL was better,
IMO, because they offered more variety, and the food was very good. The
best I have tried, were on Carnival.

Yes, the ones on the Crown Princess were very good also. We have only
done the specialty restaurants on the Magic and the Crown so far.

sue
Old August 30th, 2007, 06:36 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tobie Gerbrandt

Hi George,

Our favorite Specialty Restaurant experience in 46 cruises was EVERY time in
the POLO GRILL on the Oceania Regatta. Everything was perfect EVERY time we
went there, from the Whole Maine Lobster to the Filet Mignon, Ceasar Salad
to Creme Brule. I think next time I'm going to try the 32 oz. Prime Rib.
And there is no extra charge for this, or the "Toscana" Italian restaurant.

BTW, the food and service was also GREAT in the main dining room and the
buffet. You really should try Oceania.

Tobieon an Island in the Pacific

Old August 30th, 2007, 07:06 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Nonnymus[_4_]

George Leppla wrote:
I am hijacking this subject from another thread...

"Diana Ball" wrote

And the specialty restaurant
(best food we've had on the seas) succeeded in evoking a big city supper
club of another era.

Which leads to some questions...

What do you think about "specialty restaurants" on ships?

I have a fairly negative reaction to specialty restaurants on a cruise
ship. When I purchase a cruise, I expect that the main dining room will
serve high quality food, properly prepared and properly served. I
expect the menu to change daily to give me a selection of foods and
preparation, such as an Italian themed menu, French themed menu during
different nights. When a specialty restaurant is presented as a place
for the "best steak," or "best service," then I feel it's done at the
expense of the main dining venue.

OTOH, an argument can be made for specialty restaurants from precisely
the above paragraph. There are folks who absolutely LOVE Italian food,
for instance, and would prefer to have a selection of it each night.
Likewise, some folks might actually prefer a 3-hour dinner, compared to
the typical 90 minute one in the formal dining room. Typically, lobster
is served once during a formal night on a cruise, so if someone really
wanted lobster frequently, they would presumably be willing to pay extra
to receive it.

I guess the thing in a nutshell is that if a ship's main dining room
serves excellent food with the anticipated service and variety, then if
folks want to pay extra for a specialty venue, I don't have a problem.
However, if a specialty restaurant(s) is pushed by the line and poor
food or service in the main dining room is the alternative, then I guess
I'd resent it deeply.

Nonny

--
---Nonnymus---
You don’t stand any taller by
Old August 30th, 2007, 07:10 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
number6

On Aug 30, 11:30 am, LeeNY wrote:

On two subsequent HAL cruises, I've dined in their Odyssey restaurant,
and I've had great meals. But, I'm not sure I'd spend the extra money
again...I was traveling with different people on each of those
cruises, so the second Odyssey meal was so that my co-cruiser could
also experience the meal.

In my experience the specialty restaurants that give the best service
and presentation are the ones most memorable ... all the great foods
seem to blend together ... and invariably they were great ... but the
service we had on HAL's Mighty Zuidy ... stood out ... They had a team
nationality concept ... and all the wait staff in the specialty
restauant were Romanian ... Besides being well trained ... they also
seemed to look out for on another ... This worked extremely well as we
felt constantly doted on ... yet never annoyed ...

The other memorable one was the Sushi on the NCL Dawn ... My wife's
brother in law and I were at the Sushi bar ... taking a tidbit here
and there as they passed by ... when we found the chef made us a
special plate ... having noticed our preferences ... then after
talking about Suchi and Sashimi with the server who brought that ... a
little later we got some other goodies not even part of the regular
assortment ...