Ryanair's hand bagage policy

Old January 25th, 2004, 11:47 AM
Rasmus Lundbye

Default Ryanair's hand bagage policy

Hi!

I'll be flying from Denmark to Stansted tomorrow with Ryanair.

I plan to carry a sports bag and would very much like to carry it as hand
bagage.

The terms on Ryanair's sige states that:
"The hand baggage must not weigh more than 7kg and be less than 50cm x 35cm
x 23cm "

My bag is around this size - but perhaps 2 or 3 cms to high and wide.

Does anyone have any experiences in this area?

Thanks
Rasmus

Old January 25th, 2004, 12:26 PM
Alec

"Rasmus Lundbye" wrote in message
. ..
Hi!

I'll be flying from Denmark to Stansted tomorrow with Ryanair.

I plan to carry a sports bag and would very much like to carry it as hand
bagage.

The terms on Ryanair's sige states that:
"The hand baggage must not weigh more than 7kg and be less than 50cm x

35cm
x 23cm "

My bag is around this size - but perhaps 2 or 3 cms to high and wide.

Does anyone have any experiences in this area?

Almost every time I've flown with them (about 6-7 times a year), I was asked
to show to the check-in clerk my carry-on luggage, and once it was weighed.
Since my bags have always been on the small side, there has been no problem
but if it happened to be near the size limit, it could be checked over more
carefully. I've seen other people getting their carry-ons measured with a
tape, but only once. So from experience it depends on the whim of the agent
and perhaps how full the flight is.

Alec

Old January 25th, 2004, 06:46 PM
B Vaughan

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 12:47:53 +0100, "Rasmus Lundbye"
wrote:

Hi!

I'll be flying from Denmark to Stansted tomorrow with Ryanair.

I plan to carry a sports bag and would very much like to carry it as hand
bagage.

The terms on Ryanair's sige states that:
"The hand baggage must not weigh more than 7kg and be less than 50cm x 35cm
x 23cm "

My bag is around this size - but perhaps 2 or 3 cms to high and wide.

Does anyone have any experiences in this area?

Anyone else's experience won't guarantee anything in your particular
case. However, if they don't let you carry it on, just check it. It's
not such a big risk.

-----------
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old January 25th, 2004, 07:23 PM
Rasmus Lundbye

Anyone else's experience won't guarantee anything in your particular
case. However, if they don't let you carry it on, just check it. It's
not such a big risk.

I know. It's just that they cancelled the flight we were supposed to take
from stansted. So now we don't have that much time in Stansted.

So if we didn't have to wait for bagage, it would be convenient.

Old January 25th, 2004, 07:29 PM
Rasmus Lundbye

"Alec" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for your kind reply. I'll consider taking a smaller bag.

Old January 25th, 2004, 09:08 PM
Suz

"Rasmus Lundbye" wrote in message
. ..
Hi!

I'll be flying from Denmark to Stansted tomorrow with Ryanair.

I plan to carry a sports bag and would very much like to carry it as hand
bagage.

The terms on Ryanair's sige states that:
"The hand baggage must not weigh more than 7kg and be less than 50cm x

35cm
x 23cm "

My bag is around this size - but perhaps 2 or 3 cms to high and wide.

Does anyone have any experiences in this area?

Thanks
Rasmus

Don't mention it and they will not look sideways at it. You'll be fine.

Old January 25th, 2004, 09:40 PM
tim

"Runge" wrote in message ...
Well if its on the floor when you're at the check in they won't see it,
right ?

You'll be in a very small minority indeed if your bag remains
on the floor whilst you check in for a Ryanair flight.

I guess you could say you had no luggage at all, but
I doubt they'd believe you!.

Old January 25th, 2004, 11:56 PM
Dan McLean

All of the aeroplanes that Ryanair uses have large cabin baggage holders or
overhead bins and I regularly take a medium size rucksack as carry on
luggage with no problems. You will notice that there is a frame fitted in
many of the departure lounges, you could try and check if your bag fits
inside this frame but I have never seen anyone being stopped by Ryanair from
taking fairly large bags on board. If they want to be difficult they could
ask to weigh your bag, the allowance is 5 Kgs but I have taken my rucksack
weighing at least 10 Kgs on may flights without any problems, maybe the fact
that I had no baggage to put in the hold made a difference.

Old January 26th, 2004, 08:31 AM
nightjar

"Dan McLean" wrote in message
... If they want to be difficult they could
ask to weigh your bag, the allowance is 5 Kgs but I have taken my rucksack
weighing at least 10 Kgs on may flights without any problems, maybe the

fact
that I had no baggage to put in the hold made a difference.

Probably not. The weight limit is a safety measure, to ensure that overhead
lockers don't burst open and throw their contents at passengers during heavy
turbulence. Airlines vary on their adherence to their own rules, even from
day to day at the same airport.

Colin Bignell