Cool monastic ruins in Germany?

Old November 25th, 2008, 01:53 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

Default Cool monastic ruins in Germany?

Hey, if there is anything I find cooler than olden castles, it's
monastic ruins.

Did German states have a dissolution/suppression era like in England?
I really like wandering through the monastic ruins in the British Isles
and would love to do something similar in Germany. Particularly
southern Germany. I guess being more Catholic, there are less ruins
but if someone can point me to some, that would be very helpful.

Well, speaking of visiting monastic ruins, how about cool existing
monastaries? I've heard of Andechs and their beer, but someplace that
was both very old yet open to visitors to show how they look when
maintained would be tres cool too.

Please post, thanks again,
--
Dan Stephenson
Photos, movies, panos from the Europe, USA, plus N.Z.:

(remove nospam from email address to reply via email)

Old November 25th, 2008, 04:23 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
erilar

In article 2008112419532543658-stephedanospam@maccom,
Dan Stephenson wrote:

Hey, if there is anything I find cooler than olden castles, it's
monastic ruins.

Well, speaking of visiting monastic ruins, how about cool existing
monastaries? I've heard of Andechs and their beer, but someplace that
was both very old yet open to visitors to show how they look when
maintained would be tres cool too.

I don't know whether it would be quite what you're looking for, but
Maulbronn is really great.

--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar)

You can't reason with someone whose first line of argument is
that reason doesn't count. --Isaac Asimov

Erilar's Cave Annex: http://www.chibardun.net/~erilarlo*

Old November 25th, 2008, 09:03 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008, Dan Stephenson wrote:

Did German states have a dissolution/suppression era like in England? I

I'm not an expert of German history, but I don't think so. Definitely
not in the catholic Laender, but I doubt also in the rest (I've visited
once Blaubeuren near Ulm, in Baden-Wuerttemberg, and it is now some form
of protestant seminar or alike ["seminar" is the catholic term for an
institution forming priests]).

I guess most ruins in Germany are due to WWII bombing instead :-(

Well, speaking of visiting monastic ruins, how about cool existing
monastaries? I've heard of Andechs and their beer, but someplace that
was both very old yet open

I've been once in Andechs, with a friend living nearby at the time. Nice
but not impressive.

You may like Novacella/Neustift near Bressanone/Brixen (that is formally
in Italy, but in the German-speaking area ... by the way Bressanone
has also a nice Diocesan Museum). Though old, it has undergone
rebuilding (as many other places) so it is mainly baroque, more than
romanesque or gothic (which is something I like more).

In the same area the location of Sabiona, on a spur of rock, is rather
impressive. I've however only seen it from the motorway below, not
visited it.

Similarly located and even more impressive (in a completely different
area, near Turin in Italy) is the abbey of the Chiusa di S.Michele.
Unfortunately I saw it only from below, on the way to Novalesa (this one
was founded in 726 ... it is not impressive, but interesting because it
is rather different from the usual monastery layout, more like old Irish
places, with a precinct and some individual chapels).

is a newsreading account used by more persons to
Old November 25th, 2008, 09:59 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
george

On Nov 25, 2:53*am, Dan Stephenson wrote:
Hey, if there is anything I find cooler than olden castles, it's
monastic ruins.

Did German states have a dissolution/suppression era like in England? *
I really like wandering through the monastic ruins in the British Isles
and would love to do something similar in Germany. *Particularly
southern Germany. *I guess being more Catholic, there are less ruins
but if someone can point me to some, that *would be very helpful.

Well, speaking of visiting monastic ruins, how about cool existing
monastaries? *I've heard of Andechs and their beer, but someplace that
was both very old yet open to visitors to show how they look when
maintained would be tres cool too.

Southern Germany is full of monasteries and also quite a few ruins.
For some nice existing monasteries look at www.schloesser-und-gaerten.de
for the former monasteries which are now operated by the state of
Baden-Wuerttemberg ( www.tourismus-bw.de ). These are medieval
monasteries, and I personally like Bebenhausen, Comburg (walled
fortified), and Maulbronn. Hirsau is a monastery ruins in the Black
Forest by Stuttgart. If you get maps in the Shell regional map series
of Germany (available at bookstores and Shell gas stations) they will
show monasteries and whether they are intact or are ruins, the same
with castles and palaces.

Oberschwaben (Upper Swabia- www.oberschwaben-tourimsus.de but only in
German) is full of beautiful Baroque monasteries and churches and is
home to the Barockstrasse ( www.barockstrasse.org again only in
German), a route that passes by many of them. Zwiefalten,
Obermarchtal, Ochsenhausen, Rot am Rot, and Bad Schussenried are a few
that I particularly like, and the one in Blaubeuren is next to the
flooded mouth of a cave which is a dark blue pool that is the source
of the Blau River. In the former monastery gardens in a quiet pool at
Offenhausen on the Schwaebische Alb ( www.schwaebischealb.de ) is the
source of the Grosse Lauter River, which further downstream has
Germany's oldest state stables which can be visited at Marbach
(Gomadingen)- www.gestuet-marbach.de , and further downstream closer
to the Danube one of Germany's highest concentrations of castle
ruins. The island of Reichenau in the Bodensee (Lake Constance) by
Konstanz has several very old monasteries, but intact. Neresheim on
the east Alb is another great monastery, and the monastery church at
Ottobeuron in Bavaria is full of more beautiful Baroque religious
items than can be easily comprehended.

George
Old November 25th, 2008, 10:46 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
george

For some nice existing monasteries look atwww.schloesser-und-gaerten.de
[...]

That should be www.oberschwaben-tourismus.de .

George
Old November 25th, 2008, 01:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
george

On Nov 25, 11:46*am, george wrote:
[...]

George- Hide quoted text -

After examining again some of these websites, I discovered another
great one, www.kloester-bw.de , which has information on the over 700
monasteries and former monasteries in the German state of Baden-
Wuerttemberg. I see that I now have a lot of work ahead to prioritize
which ones that I next want to visit.

George
Stuttgart, Germany
Old November 25th, 2008, 09:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge13[_2_]

Please visit it yourself martin and stay there !

"Martin" a écrit dans le message de
news
On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 19:53:25 -0600, Dan Stephenson

wrote:

Hey, if there is anything I find cooler than olden castles, it's
monastic ruins.

Did German states have a dissolution/suppression era like in England?
I really like wandering through the monastic ruins in the British Isles
and would love to do something similar in Germany. Particularly
southern Germany. I guess being more Catholic, there are less ruins
but if someone can point me to some, that would be very helpful.

Well, speaking of visiting monastic ruins, how about cool existing
monastaries? I've heard of Andechs and their beer, but someplace that
was both very old yet open to visitors to show how they look when
maintained would be tres cool too.

Please post, thanks again,

You could visit Maria Lach, where there is a restored working monastery.
--

Martin

Old November 29th, 2008, 12:37 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

Dan Stephenson wrote:

Hey, if there is anything I find cooler than olden castles, it's
monastic ruins.

Well, speaking of visiting monastic ruins, how about cool existing
monastaries? I've heard of Andechs and their beer, but someplace that
was both very old yet open to visitors to show how they look when
maintained would be tres cool too.

I don't know whether it would be quite what you're looking for, but
Maulbronn is really great.

I google'd for it, and wow, that looks incredible - thanks!

I really do need to go through the whole world-heritage list, as a
general thing

Thanks again,

Old November 29th, 2008, 12:44 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

On 2008-11-25 03:03:08 -0600, Giovanni Drogo
said:

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008, Dan Stephenson wrote:

Did German states have a dissolution/suppression era like in England? I

I'm not an expert of German history, but I don't think so. Definitely
not in the catholic Laender, but I doubt also in the rest (I've visited
once Blaubeuren near Ulm, in Baden-Wuerttemberg, and it is now some
form of protestant seminar or alike ["seminar" is the catholic term for
an institution forming priests]).

Well that looks just right. Apparently even in the south the
Reformation shook things up.

I guess most ruins in Germany are due to WWII bombing instead :-(

Well, speaking of visiting monastic ruins, how about cool existing
monastaries? I've heard of Andechs and their beer, but someplace that
was both very old yet open

I've been once in Andechs, with a friend living nearby at the time.
Nice but not impressive.

You may like Novacella/Neustift near Bressanone/Brixen (that is
formally in Italy, but in the German-speaking area ... by the way
Bressanone has also a nice Diocesan Museum). Though old, it has
undergone rebuilding (as many other places) so it is mainly baroque,
more than romanesque or gothic (which is something I like more).

Yeah, I really like the very old stuff the best. Rococo Is Evil.

In the same area the location of Sabiona, on a spur of rock, is rather
impressive. I've however only seen it from the motorway below, not
visited it.

Ok, "spur of rock" is always good

Similarly located and even more impressive (in a completely different
area, near Turin in Italy) is the abbey of the Chiusa di S.Michele.
Unfortunately I saw it only from below, on the way to Novalesa (this
one was founded in 726 ... it is not impressive, but interesting
because it is rather different from the usual monastery layout, more
like old Irish places, with a precinct and some individual chapels).

Right, like Glendalough?

man that was an incredible place

Old November 29th, 2008, 12:47 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

On 2008-11-25 03:59:15 -0600, george said:

If you get maps in the Shell regional map series
of Germany (available at bookstores and Shell gas stations) they will
show monasteries and whether they are intact or are ruins, the same
with castles and palaces.

Now _that_ is some really good general advice. Thanks George you're a
regular guide-book!