If my seat is partially occupied...

Old May 14th, 2006, 04:46 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default If my seat is partially occupied...

I know that some folks who are obese [ erhum, solidly built ] have
problems fitting into the seats on a plane - seats meant for 75Kilo
'average' passengers. My read is that the resolution to _their_
problem varies from airline to airline and 'size to size'

Here's my question. What can I do if I board a plane and discover a
physically challenged person sitting next to me, and, occupying a
chunk of _my seat and seating area_?

Can I refuse the allocated seat ?
Can I insist that I am offered another seat?

If the cabin crew aren't interested in my problem,
can I remain standing in the aisle?,
thus delaying departure?
What would be the crews' / airlines reaction?
Another seat?
Throw me off the plane [ that is call security / police ]?

And if they do, do I have any legal basis for redress?

And etc?

Sure would appreciate any comments, on this situation. Just in
case……..
John Hewitt, Malaga, Spain

Old May 14th, 2006, 06:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

wrote:

I know that some folks who are obese [ erhum, solidly built ] have
problems fitting into the seats on a plane - seats meant for 75Kilo
'average' passengers. My read is that the resolution to _their_
problem varies from airline to airline and 'size to size'

Here's my question. What can I do if I board a plane and discover a
physically challenged person sitting next to me, and, occupying a
chunk of _my seat and seating area_?

Pay for buisness class in the first place, and avoid the
likelihood altogether?

Can I refuse the allocated seat ?
Can I insist that I am offered another seat?

If the armrests between seats are in place, the hefty
neighbor CAN'T encroach TOO far - if they aren't, insist
they be lowered. (Considering how narrow airline "economy
class" seats have become, scarcely any but the severely
anorexic can REALLY avoid "spilling over" - and it's been a
long, long time since I've encountered a seat as wide as the
average man's shoulders.)

If the cabin crew aren't interested in my problem,
can I remain standing in the aisle?,
thus delaying departure?
What would be the crews' / airlines reaction?
Another seat?
Throw me off the plane [ that is call security / police ]?

You have to ask?

And if they do, do I have any legal basis for redress?

In these days of heightened "security", you might consider
yourself fortunate if all they do is throw you off, not
arrest you!

And etc?

We've all succumbed to the lure of low air fares, but
there's a trade-off. Perhaps the airlines should create a
"coach" class that bears some resemblance to what it once
was (and charge accordingly). They could then call
"steerage" what it really is, and people flying that class
would KNOW that's the best they could expect.

Old May 16th, 2006, 09:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

(...) (Considering how narrow airline "economy class" seats have become,

I hear this all the time, but is it true? The first 737 flew in 1967 and
they haven't, AFAIK, made the fuselage any narrower? That means that they
must have used a 2-3 configuration instead of a 3-3 config as they do today,
but I can't remember ever seeing that. So why should the airlines make the
seats more narrow, they can't use this space for anything anyway (at least I
haven't seen a 737 in a 3-4 configuration)

Old May 16th, 2006, 11:30 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Throw up on the fat person. They'll move

Old May 17th, 2006, 12:08 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Here's my question. What can I do if I board a plane and discover a
physically challenged person sitting next to me, and, occupying a
chunk of _my seat and seating area_?

You will have difficulty getting the attention on an FA during
boarding - when they want all passengers in their seats and ready for
departure. Is it a short flight? If so, try to live with it and after
the flight write the airline's customer service office.

The average seat width in steerage is ~17/18" (~44cm). Those carrying
extra girth can gain some added room - often at the expense of their
neighbor's space - with the armrest in the up position. If you wish to
reclaim lost seating space you will first need to have the armrest
down.
If you find yourself with an aisle seat, and the corpulent flyer in
the center seat, you may want to consider switching places. With the
understanding that the armrest will remain down and their excessive
baggage allocated towards the aisle.

Can I refuse the allocated seat ?
Can I insist that I am offered another seat?

You can, but you may find yourself on the concourse watching your
flight depart.

If the rotund flier is clearly taking up a significant portion of
your seat, you can use such circumstance to justify moving yourself to
another seat. When the FA asks why you reseated yourself you can offer
that your assigned seat was not providing you enough room. At which
time the situation then becomes the responsibility of the FA.

Regardless, you will need to follow the instructions of the flight
crew - even if you are asked to return to your assigned seat. At which
point you can make the decision to either tough it out or exit the
aircraft.
NB. Once the flight crew is aware of your circumstances they will
generally be supportative if you move yourself to a different location
during the flight (assuming that the seat belt sign is not active).
But not to the front of the cabin.
I once leaned against a bulkhead at the rear of the aircraft for about
two hours - reading a book. When asked after about 10 minutes to
return to my seat I gave the FA my seat assignment and asked them if it
might be permissible for me to remain where I was. With the
understanding that I would not be in the way so as to interfere with
their in-flight responsibilities. Maybe not an ideal flight, but it
worked out.

Old May 17th, 2006, 12:38 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

On 16 May 2006 16:08:22 -0700, "Traveler"
wrote:

Here's my question. What can I do if I board a plane and discover a
physically challenged person sitting next to me, and, occupying a
chunk of _my seat and seating area_?

You will have difficulty getting the attention on an FA during
boarding - when they want all passengers in their seats and ready for
departure.

Obviously, then, remin standing in the aisle; you'll get
attention from the FAs.

Old May 17th, 2006, 03:06 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Martin wrote:
On Tue, 16 May 2006 22:52:02 +0200, "Trent Stensnes"

(...) (Considering how narrow airline "economy class" seats have become,

I hear this all the time, but is it true? The first 737 flew in 1967 and
they haven't, AFAIK, made the fuselage any narrower? That means that they
must have used a 2-3 configuration instead of a 3-3 config as they do today,
but I can't remember ever seeing that.

I can.

And I! (In fact, I can remember when even coach was 2-2,
and the aisles were wide enough so a passenger headed for
the loo didn't have to wait until the serving cart was out
of the way.)

Old May 17th, 2006, 05:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

You will have difficulty getting the attention on an FA during
boarding - when they want all passengers in their seats and ready
for departure.

Obviously, then, remin standing in the aisle; you'll get
attention from the FAs.

True. But you will also impede those attempting to board the aircraft
and find their seat. To use such a tactic you may need to stand (more
like a scrunch) in front of your seat. Then when asked to 'be seated'
you can reply with 'where?'.

Old May 17th, 2006, 07:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Reminds me of an AA transatlantic flight a few years back. This on
the former TWA 767. Which is probably the most comfortable aircraft --
with the 2-3-2 seating -- for steerage class flights. Two couples
occupied one row, having purchased tickets for the entire seven seats.
They said is was much less expensive than a class upgrade and gave them
the room they desired.

A rather large colleague always purchases two seats. Which he has
found acceptable so long as the two seats are not both aisle ones.