Journeyman carpenters

Old November 7th, 2010, 01:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

Default Journeyman carpenters

One of the sights you may occasionally see when traveling the autobahns
of Germany is a "zimmermann" - a journeyman carpenter - in his
traditional clothing -

http://www.part-2.ch/felix/uploads/Zimmermann_los.JPG

The clothing is subject to strict rules, the hat, the waistcoat
jacket, the shoes, the earring, the watch chain, even the number of
buttons on the jacket.

The tradition of the journeyman carpenter goes back hundreds of years.
Tradition expects that after the apprentice has finished his training
with the master carpenter, he should go on the "walz" or "tippelei" -
meaning that for three years and a day he must leave his home town and
wander the world, seeking work to earn his keep.

A journeyman must be single, free of debts and of good standing.
During his time on the road he is not allowed to wear anything but his
traditional clothing - his "kluft" - in public, nor is he allowed to own
a car, but must walk or hitchhike. On the other hand, every master
carpenter on the way is obliged to offer a journeyman lodging for the night.

Recently I gave a lift to a carpenter on the highway from Frankfurt
going south. I had stopped at a gas station when this young man with his
distinctive clothing approached me with a smile and asked me in a kind
of sing-song ritual something like, excuse me sir but would you be so
agreeable as to let a good and honest journeyman accompany you on your way?

Such a charmingly phrased question was hard to refuse, so as I drove he
told me the story of his travels. The most remarkable was that he had
been in Thailand where he had been hewing timbers to restore the roof of
a buddhist temple. His three years of travel were nearly over and he
was heading home.

So if you see a journeyman on the road, remember to give him a lift. And
remember, another tradition says that touching a button of his jacket
brings good luck.

T.
Read mo http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journeyman_years

Old November 7th, 2010, 02:54 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
george

On Nov 7, 1:32*pm, Tom P wrote:
[...]

Nice, I always enjoy seeing them and it's great to see old traditions
still alive. Some of their elaborate small projects to show their
skills are a delight to see if you can find them, but I don't know if
they still do this.

It's always interesting and nice when you stumble across old
traditions that are still alive, some quite unusual, and particularly
nice if you never before realized they existed.

George
Stuttgart, Germany
Old November 8th, 2010, 11:30 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
wooly[_2_]

Tom P wrote:
[...]

Amazing! I see them here in Switzerland very often.
btw the foto has been taken in CH.

Old November 8th, 2010, 11:51 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black[_2_]

On 08/11/10 22:30, wooly wrote:
Tom P wrote:
[...]

When I 'came out of my time' the bloke who was technically my master
took me out for a pint and said 'Well you won't be able to ask me how to
do it any more'.

I replied that I hadn't needed his advice for over a year by then, and
he said 'Yeah, but I was there if you'd wanted'.

Oh yes, and I got a tool kit of my own issued...

But when the company went broke it was in the factory and the
liquidators pinched it.

--
William Black

Free men have open minds
If you want loyalty, buy a dog...
Old November 9th, 2010, 12:51 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
irwell

On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 22:51:01 +0000, William Black wrote:

On 08/11/10 22:30, wooly wrote:
Tom P wrote:
[...]

Little boy playing outside his carpenter-dad's workshop.
Carpenter hits his thumb with the hammer.
Little boy rushes into the workshop.
"Did you call , Dad?"

Old November 9th, 2010, 05:54 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dawn Khorus

On 08/11/10 22:30, wooly wrote:
Tom P wrote:
[...]

.....hahaha.... runge turns up....

Old November 10th, 2010, 09:09 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
george

I see with Runge showing up and retitling the topic, that you have to
click on the star so it will be highlighted and you can recognize it
again. It's too bad that other people can rename a topic!!!!!!
Hopefully the real topic name will now remain.

George