DL pushing the self-serve checkin kiosks

Old March 19th, 2004, 07:02 AM
maryanne kehoe

Default DL pushing the self-serve checkin kiosks

While waiting in line at PHL for my return flight to ATL, the ticket
agent who had been working one of the desks asked those of us in line if
we were checking baggage and was directing us to the self-serve kiosks.

I had to politely tell her once that I "wanted to check in with a
human"! If more of us say "no" to this stuff, perhaps there will be more
DL personnel working the desks (there was only one at PHL.) Has anyone
else encountered this at other US airports with DL?

Maybe some of us prefer it this way!!

Old March 19th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Mike Cordelli

Self Service - 30 seconds from putting in a card to boarding pass in hand,
another minute or two to drop off the luggage.

Standing in line - 45 minutes to get to the counter, then five minutes there
while they type whatever they madly type into the terminal and take the
bags.

You are more then welcome to stand in line, less people waiting for the
kiosks.

Old March 19th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

Hilary wrote:

That's fine, but there were probably others in line who didn't know about
them. I don't like waiting in line when I could have checked in 10
minutes ago using the self-serve - so if I didn't see an airline's
machines I'd be grateful they let us know. It's *so* much quicker. I've
never had to wait for self check in.

My only problem with the Kiosks is that there aren't enough of them and there
are too many people who would have trouble with an ATM machine tying them up...
Old March 19th, 2004, 04:00 PM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
"Clark W. Griswold, Jr." 73115 dot 1041 at compuserve dot com wrote:

My only problem with the Kiosks is that there aren't enough of them and there
are too many people who would have trouble with an ATM machine tying them
up...

You see that at AS, peak periods in SEA, even worse with checked bags.
beatsthe regular line though.
Old March 19th, 2004, 04:34 PM
Gregory Morrow

Mike Cordelli wrote:

Self Service - 30 seconds from putting in a card to boarding pass in hand,
another minute or two to drop off the luggage.

Standing in line - 45 minutes to get to the counter, then five minutes

there
while they type whatever they madly type into the terminal and take the
bags.

You are more then welcome to stand in line, less people waiting for the
kiosks.

Well, what do you expect from someone on WebTV...???

:-)

Natcherly, it's far easier and quicker to use self - service check - in.
Just like using an ATM -- how many of us still use a teller when we want to
get some cash?

--
Best
Greg

Old March 19th, 2004, 05:02 PM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
Olivers wrote:

.....Somehow, requiring the presence of a "live" agent, thus unavailable
for dealing with a customer with a real problem, to help one through an
evolution no more complex than an ATM transaction seems a particularly
arrogant if not silly demand. I bet most of us could figure out how to
print out a baggage tag strip too (especially at DCA where the "double
step" from counter to the TSA luggage deposit point can occasionally cause
a traffic jam.

Ever tried CO self-serve checkin with a NW ticket on a CO flight?
Can't be done.

Ever tried NW check-in where the 1st flight is NOT on NW? Can't be done.

Ever tried international checkin on AS/QX with a non-U.S./Canadian
passport? Can't be done.