Is Perth worth a look

Old March 24th, 2004, 05:08 AM
Wonderful Helen

Default Is Perth worth a look

Will be travelling to Aust from UK for a holiday. Is Perth worth including
in the tour?

Old March 24th, 2004, 08:03 AM
Jamie

Yes Perth is a great city, different from the eastern cities.

Old March 24th, 2004, 08:42 AM
Gerrit 't Hart

"BrianM" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 17:08:51 +1200, Wonderful Helen wrote:

Will be travelling to Aust from UK for a holiday. Is Perth worth
including in the tour?

Absolutely. Get yourself a rental car while there.
Perth is a beautiful city.

cheers
BrianM
NZ

And don't forget the hinterland.
South West Western Australia from Perth to Albany along the coast.
If you have heard about Wave Rock in Hyden forget it!

Gerrit - Perth

Old March 24th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Peter Webb

If only to go to the city of one million people more distant from any other
city of over one million inhabitants than anywhere else in the entire world.

Like others said, drive down South. Go over to Rotto. Good for a week.

Old March 24th, 2004, 01:04 PM
trk

Absolutely, but the South West is the best, great coast line, beaches,
wineries, forests, absolutely magnificent scenery and all in reasonable
close proximity.
Most things to the North (including the Dolphins at Monkey Mia, the
Pinnacles) involve lots of travel, with very little to see or do in between.
Not that I am saying they are not worth seeing, but if you only have a week,
a lot more bang for the buck in the South West.
Perth itself is a lovely, but a very small,city by world standards. Great
beaches, and the port town of Fremantle is certainly worth a look.
On saying all of the above, one assumes that you will be hiring a motor
vehicle -it would be absolutely essential to get your self around
Good luck
Trevor
Perth
Western Australia

Old March 24th, 2004, 04:35 PM
Dennis G. Rears

"trk" wrote in message
Absolutely, but the South West is the best, great coast line, beaches,
wineries, forests, absolutely magnificent scenery and all in reasonable
close proximity.
Most things to the North (including the Dolphins at Monkey Mia, the
Pinnacles) involve lots of travel, with very little to see or do in

between.
Not that I am saying they are not worth seeing, but if you only have a

week,
a lot more bang for the buck in the South West.
Perth itself is a lovely, but a very small,city by world standards. Great
beaches, and the port town of Fremantle is certainly worth a look.
On saying all of the above, one assumes that you will be hiring a motor
vehicle -it would be absolutely essential to get your self around

Not necessary to hire a car. I was in Cottlesloe (30KM south of Perth)
for 5 days in 2002. I was able to make it to Fremantle, Perth, & Rottness
Island using public transportation. I was able to get to a lot of
different places.

dennis

Good luck
Trevor
Perth
Western Australia

Old March 25th, 2004, 02:16 AM
Les Chandra

"Dennis G. Rears" wrote in
:

"trk" wrote in message
[...]

Careful with your distances!

Cottesloe is (12km south of the City centre) is an inner-middle suburb of
Perth. Actually, Fremantle (19 km) is practically the same. Perth's outer
suburbs stretch south for over 70 km and north for over 40 km.

Rottnest Island is an island so you need to take a ferry or plane there
anyway!

If you had a couple of days in Perth you could get around to the main
spots with public transport. If you want to go further afield you will
definitely need a car.

Having said that, I second the earlier poster who said that Perth's main
claim to fame is that it is a city a long way from anywhere.

Western Australia is famous for many things - wine, tall forests,
wildflowers, massive mines, and lots and lots of outback. But that is not
Perth.

So to the original poster, I would say unless you have sufficient time
(say a couple of weeks) to do the state properly, or a particular
interest in something over here, I would say give Perth a miss. In the
words of the stock market pundits "better value elsewhere".

Les
(in Perth!)
Old March 25th, 2004, 03:57 AM
Dennis G. Rears

"Les Chandra" wrote in message
.5...
"Dennis G. Rears" wrote in
:

"trk" wrote in message
[...]

I was wrong on this.

Cottesloe is (12km south of the City centre) is an inner-middle suburb of
Perth. Actually, Fremantle (19 km) is practically the same. Perth's outer
suburbs stretch south for over 70 km and north for over 40 km.

I stand corrected. I normally like to overstate distances when I am unsure.

Rottnest Island is an island so you need to take a ferry or plane there
anyway!

That is why I said public transportation. It included a ferry.

If you had a couple of days in Perth you could get around to the main
spots with public transport. If you want to go further afield you will
definitely need a car.

This is true with a family or if you wanted to get astream of Perth
sights.

Having said that, I second the earlier poster who said that Perth's main
claim to fame is that it is a city a long way from anywhere.

Perth is a very beautiful city. I for one treasue it remoteness....

Western Australia is famous for many things - wine, tall forests,
wildflowers, massive mines, and lots and lots of outback. But that is not
Perth.

This is true. But Perth is not al of WA. WA is hugh.

So to the original poster, I would say unless you have sufficient time
(say a couple of weeks) to do the state properly, or a particular
interest in something over here, I would say give Perth a miss. In the
words of the stock market pundits "better value elsewhere".

Les
(in Perth!)

I disagree. Perth and the suburbs are great. Fremantle is a great area. I
just hope the US Navy doesn't destroy it with thier liberty programs.

dennis

Old March 25th, 2004, 09:10 AM
Jim

Well it seems to have a large population of ex English people )))