Portugal pensions

Old June 13th, 2012, 07:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
jimmy[_3_]

Default Portugal pensions

About 25 years ago I travelled extensively in Portugal. When I would
get off a bus or train generally there would be locals waiting for
people like me and they would want to show me rooms in their houses
which they rented out. Does anyone have more recent experience with
this?

thanks
Old June 13th, 2012, 09:46 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
irwell

On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 15:04:55 -0300, jimmy wrote:

About 25 years ago I travelled extensively in Portugal. When I would
get off a bus or train generally there would be locals waiting for
people like me and they would want to show me rooms in their houses
which they rented out. Does anyone have more recent experience with
this?

thanks

Hotel and other accommodation touts were common
in most European cities 25 years ago, the internet
has displaced tehm.
Old June 14th, 2012, 08:43 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne[_2_]

jimmy wrote:

About 25 years ago I travelled extensively in Portugal. When I would
get off a bus or train generally there would be locals waiting for
people like me and they would want to show me rooms in their houses
which they rented out. Does anyone have more recent experience with
this?

The last time I did this in Portugal was in Lagos in May 2007. There was
no one at the train station, but we walked into town and were approached
by a woman who asked if we were interested in a room. We followed her a
few blocks to her flat, and were very pleased with it and stayed there
three nights. As always, use your own judgement.

David

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old June 14th, 2012, 03:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne[_2_]

jimmy wrote:

On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 08:43:30 +0100, (David Horne)
wrote:

jimmy wrote:

About 25 years ago I travelled extensively in Portugal. When I would
get off a bus or train generally there would be locals waiting for
people like me and they would want to show me rooms in their houses
which they rented out. Does anyone have more recent experience with
this?

The last time I did this in Portugal was in Lagos in May 2007. There was
no one at the train station, but we walked into town and were approached
by a woman who asked if we were interested in a room. We followed her a
few blocks to her flat, and were very pleased with it and stayed there
three nights. As always, use your own judgement.

David

Ahh, Lagos. We had a lot of fun there! Do you recall what she was
asking for the room? I'm trying to get a general idea.

It's really a bit hazy- and I'd imagine it's more now anyway. Something
like 30-40 euro for the room with private bathroom, no breakfast. Hotels
are cheap in Portugal though. I stayed at a perfectly decent room
recently visiting a conference in Braga, and it was 30 euro per night...

David

Old June 17th, 2012, 05:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim....

"David Horne" wrote in message
jimmy wrote:

About 25 years ago I travelled extensively in Portugal. When I would
get off a bus or train generally there would be locals waiting for
people like me and they would want to show me rooms in their houses
which they rented out. Does anyone have more recent experience with
this?

The last time I did this in Portugal was in Lagos in May 2007. There was
no one at the train station, but we walked into town and were approached
by a woman who asked if we were interested in a room. We followed her a
few blocks to her flat, and were very pleased with it and stayed there
three nights. As always, use your own judgement.

It still seems the norm in the Greek islands.

Personally, I prefer not to use them because they are the cheaper end of the
market and whilst there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the rooms I
prefer the facilities provided in a 40 Euro room than a 10 Euro one (that's
off season rates, my opinion might change if I was paying high season rates.
But as the Greek islands suffer from a summer fault that I always avoid
enduring if possible, I wont be going there in high summer)

tim

Old June 19th, 2012, 12:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"M@gd@" wrote in message ...

On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 17:21:02 +0100, in rec.travel.europe, "tim...."
arranged some electrons, so they looked like
this:

.... "David Horne" wrote in message
.... ...
.... jimmy wrote:
[...]

What is a summer fault?

It's too ****ing hot

tim

Old June 19th, 2012, 01:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne[_2_]

tim..... wrote:

"M@gd@" wrote in message ...

On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 17:21:02 +0100, in rec.travel.europe, "tim...."
arranged some electrons, so they looked like
this:

[]
What is a summer fault?

It's too ****ing hot

And too busy in many places... heat doesn't bother me but crowds do, so
I prefer the shoulder seasons there.

Old June 19th, 2012, 02:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
jimmy[_3_]

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 12:29:50 +0200, "M@gd@" wrote:

On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 17:21:02 +0100, in rec.travel.europe, "tim...."
arranged some electrons, so they looked like this:

... "David Horne" wrote in message
... ...
... jimmy wrote:
[...]

=====
It sounds much better in French, but then, everything does.

The french have a different word for everything...