Pompeii vs Herculaneum tour suggestions

Old January 31st, 2005, 11:01 AM
Pickin@fiddle

B Vaughan wrote:
On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 08:18:37 -0500, Pickin@fiddle wrote:

Take the train to Pozoulli. That's where the apostle Paul landed after
his shipwreck. See Acts 21 for details. He was there about 80 years
before Mt. Vesuvius had to act up.

I doubt it. Vesuvius erupted in 79 AD.

That's what my tour book said. I'll burn it. I promise.

Old January 31st, 2005, 11:02 AM
Pickin@fiddle

nitram wrote:
On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 18:28:08 +0100, B wrote:

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 08:18:37 -0500, Pickin@fiddle wrote:

Take the train to Pozoulli. That's where the apostle Paul landed after
his shipwreck. See Acts 21 for details. He was there about 80 years
before Mt. Vesuvius had to act up.

I doubt it. Vesuvius erupted in 79 AD.

and shipwrecked in Malta.

And after I burn the tour guide, I'll stir the ashes.

Old January 31st, 2005, 11:50 AM
Tim Challenger

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 05:26:18 -0500, Pickin@fiddle wrote:

and no-one we met understood English with a
southern dialect.

I bet that happens to you all the time eh? ;-)
--
Tim C.
Old January 31st, 2005, 02:17 PM
B Vaughan

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 12:23:16 +0100, nitram wrote:

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 18:28:08 +0100, B wrote:

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 08:18:37 -0500, Pickin@fiddle wrote:

Take the train to Pozoulli. That's where the apostle Paul landed after
his shipwreck. See Acts 21 for details. He was there about 80 years
before Mt. Vesuvius had to act up.

I doubt it. Vesuvius erupted in 79 AD.

and shipwrecked in Malta.

However, he did arrive on the mainland after the shipwreck, enroute to
Rome. Pozzuoli is supposed to be the port at which he landed.

I just checked the account in Acts, not Acts 21, but Acts 28. The
landing site in Italy is Puteoli.

--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old January 31st, 2005, 02:17 PM
B Vaughan

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:06:22 +0100, nitram wrote:

..., the ship was
wrecked on the island of Melita (Malta) but everybody escaped safe to
land.

See my other post, landfall in Italy was made at Pozzuoli after the
stay in Malta.
Old February 1st, 2005, 10:46 AM
Pickin@fiddle

nitram wrote:
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 06:02:37 -0500, Pickin@fiddle wrote:

nitram wrote:

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 18:28:08 +0100, B wrote:

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 08:18:37 -0500, Pickin@fiddle wrote:

Take the train to Pozoulli. That's where the apostle Paul landed after
his shipwreck. See Acts 21 for details. He was there about 80 years
before Mt. Vesuvius had to act up.

I doubt it. Vesuvius erupted in 79 AD.

and in
http://www.volcano.si.edu/world/volc...olpage=e rupt

and shipwrecked in Malta.

And after I burn the tour guide, I'll stir the ashes.

What about "See Acts 21 for details"

"Attempt to access blocked, invalid username password"?

That's the book that everyone claims we thump around here.

Old February 1st, 2005, 11:04 AM
Pickin@fiddle

nitram wrote:

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 18:28:08 +0100, B wrote:

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 08:18:37 -0500, Pickin@fiddle wrote:

Take the train to Pozoulli. That's where the apostle Paul landed after
his shipwreck. See Acts 21 for details. He was there about 80 years
before Mt. Vesuvius had to act up.

I doubt it. Vesuvius erupted in 79 AD.

and in
http://www.volcano.si.edu/world/volc...olpage=e rupt

and shipwrecked in Malta.

And after I burn the tour guide, I'll stir the ashes.

What about "See Acts 21 for details"

"Attempt to access blocked, invalid username password"?

It should have been

See St Paul Acts 27

http://www.allaboutturkey.com/paul.htm
"Journey to Rome (Acts 27:1-28:31)

Festus then sent Paul with other prisoners and soldiers on a ship to
Rome. This journey is described in Acts 27 and 28: "And putting to sea
from thence, we sailed under the lee of Cyprus, because the winds were
contrary. And when we had sailed across the sea which is off Cilicia
and Pamphylia, we came to Myra, a city of Lycia. And there the
centurion found a ship of Alexandria sailing for Italy; and he put us
therein. And when we had sailed slowly many days, and were come with
difficulty over against Cnidus, the wind not further suffering us, we
sailed under the lee of Crete, over against Salamone; And with
difficulty coasting along it we came unto a certain place called Fair
Havens; nigh whereunto was the city of Lasea."

After many dangers and a storm, during which God's angel informed Paul
in a vision that everybody on the ship would survive, the ship was
wrecked on the island of Melita (Malta) but everybody escaped safe to
land. Many miracles happened during their three-month stay on the
island. Paul healed many diseased people and he got bitten by a viper,
but this did not harm him. After three months they boarded another
ship and arrived in Rome. Christians in Rome received Paul warmly. In
Rome Paul was placed under house arrest. He lived in a rented house
for two years and could receive visitors, so he could continue
teaching and preaching God's kingdom. He invited the chiefs of the
Jews to hear the gospel, after which some of them believed and some
not. Paul ended his speech with the following: "Be it known therefore
unto you, that the salvation of God is sent unto the Gentiles, and
that they will hear it."

It was by now the beginning of winter and the voyage onwards was beset
with strong and adverse winds. From Crete a gale blew them down to
Malta where the ship was wrecked in what is now called St Pauls Bay.
Eventually a ship brought them to Rome and there he was beheaded the
same day Peter was crucified, around AD 67. It is apocryphally told
that when Paul was beheaded milk and not blood flowed from his body.
However dubious this may be, few could have predicted what the result
of Paul's work was to be as Christianity went from strength to
strength to become the dominant faith in the country where he met his
end."

Ask for your money back!

By Golly you're correct. But check out Verse 13. Looks like they went
there to spend the week. See European travel was popular then too!!!
I'll stir the ashes twice.

Old February 1st, 2005, 11:07 AM
Pickin@fiddle

B Vaughan wrote:
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:06:22 +0100, nitram wrote:

..., the ship was
wrecked on the island of Melita (Malta) but everybody escaped safe to
land.

See my other post, landfall in Italy was made at Pozzuoli after the
stay in Malta.

Sorry for the double post to nitram. I was trying to forward his post to
my DSL acct so I can read the link he sent. I found it quite
interesting. It's hard to read a book when you're thumping it.

Old February 1st, 2005, 11:17 AM
Pickin@fiddle

nitram wrote:
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 06:01:39 -0500, Pickin@fiddle wrote:

B Vaughan wrote:

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 08:18:37 -0500, Pickin@fiddle wrote:

Take the train to Pozoulli. That's where the apostle Paul landed after
his shipwreck. See Acts 21 for details. He was there about 80 years
before Mt. Vesuvius had to act up.

I doubt it. Vesuvius erupted in 79 AD.

That's what my tour book said. I'll burn it. I promise.

Vesuvius erupted more than once. The last time was in 1944.

Does that explain the abandoned block houses we saw on the way there? I
considered the number to be quite high. I guessed that earthquakes had
rendered them unsafe. And they all had a great view of the sea. I can't
spell the name of the sea, but it was pretty.

Vesuvius and Pompeii are very popular on the History Channel right now.
My wife and her work friends are watching all they can about it. All we
really worry about here is rattlesnakes on dry land, coral snakes on
sandy land and water mocassins in wet areas. And of course mosquitoes
and sand gnats, the scourges of the earth!

Old February 1st, 2005, 11:29 AM
Pickin@fiddle

Tim Challenger wrote:
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 05:26:18 -0500, Pickin@fiddle wrote:

and no-one we met understood English with a
southern dialect.

I bet that happens to you all the time eh? ;-)

Quite frankly, yes, but most people tell us they like to hear it, and I
love to meet people from all over. Fereners, we call 'em. But when it
comes to fereners, cuz, we pick up the best, wish we had some things and
leave some things alone. Examples: Best - Ya'll have changed our diet
completely. Wish - I wish we had the train available for travel. So does
every other person I know who has traveled there. We talk about how
poorly that was planned here. But then, years back a train ran through
most towns here, but the economics changed and the tracks came up. Leave
alone? When we were in Amsterdam, two guys tried to sell me cocaine. I
know there's plenty here. I represent major drug dealers in court. Not
just because it is available there, but I leave it alone anywhere. I'm
not judgmental of others but just don't care to be around cocaine,
period. Sorry to digress.