Pompeii vs Herculaneum tour suggestions

Old February 1st, 2005, 09:51 PM
Poetic Justice

nitram wrote:
Don't miss visiting the brothel in Pompeii,
if it's open.

In visiting a complete ancient walled city of 20,000 is *that* the only
site you remember :-).
But it's been closed since last October for a 1yr renovation.
http://news.scotsman.com/internation...?id=1155812004
It's a good site to have a small penlight/torch with you so you can see
the ancient (and sadly some modern) graffiti etched into the walls of
the cells.
Also easy to miss is the small w.c. (with a modern wooden seat) near
the side exit door. I wonder if they had to pay to use that too.
But along the same lines, one of the limited access sites at Pompeii is
the Suburban Baths, which has exotic frescoes in it's changing room
above the clothes lockers.
What sets this site apart from others is that one of the frescoes
depicts a lesbian scene. And it's the only lesbian sexual fresco that
has been discovered from ancient Roman times.
There are 3 limited access sites at Pompeii. As you enter the site go
to the Info Booth on the left just before the ticket windows. If the
sites are open on that day and they still have the free tickets you're
in luck (off-season they were just opened on weekends & ?Fridays?, not
sure of peak-season).
These frescos were most likely just decorative art and not an
advertisement of services like in the Lupanare brothel (no cell-like
brothel rooms were found at this site). Regards, Walter

...And Paradise Was Lost...like teardrops in the rain...

Old February 2nd, 2005, 01:26 AM
Poetic Justice

nitram wrote:

No, but for some reason it often seems to
be closed.

Yes, I have heard that from other posters. I know that they do close it
early when start herding the tourists out of the extreme ends of the
site (2:45 I noticed once in February or March).

The description in the Scotsman doesn't
match my recollections.

They were pretty vague? I mean the site you visited did have exotic
paintings over the rooms?

Perhaps the journalist visited another
brothel?

There are other brothels archaeologists have found (the numbers 7 & 12
keep popping into my head but their location doesn't seem to be
general knowledge. And that one is the only one open to the public and
shown in the guidebooks and on maps. So it would be the only one whose
closing would make the news.
This is the Lupanar/Brothel that they are restoring (use the - button
for 3 other images.
http://wings.buffalo.edu/AandL/Maece...ac7780808.html
And the exotic painting are shown on this site.
http://www.archart.it/archart/italia...e/lupanare.htm

Old February 2nd, 2005, 10:17 AM
Pickin@fiddle

nitram wrote:
On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 06:17:12 -0500, Pickin@fiddle wrote:

nitram wrote:

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 06:01:39 -0500, Pickin@fiddle wrote:

B Vaughan wrote:

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 08:18:37 -0500, Pickin@fiddle wrote:

Take the train to Pozoulli. That's where the apostle Paul landed after
his shipwreck. See Acts 21 for details. He was there about 80 years
before Mt. Vesuvius had to act up.

I doubt it. Vesuvius erupted in 79 AD.

That's what my tour book said. I'll burn it. I promise.

Vesuvius erupted more than once. The last time was in 1944.

Does that explain the abandoned block houses we saw on the way there? I
considered the number to be quite high. I guessed that earthquakes had
rendered them unsafe. And they all had a great view of the sea. I can't
spell the name of the sea, but it was pretty.

There was an earthquake in 1985??? That damaged a lot of the buildings
in Pompeii too.

Vesuvius and Pompeii are very popular on the History Channel right now.
My wife and her work friends are watching all they can about it. All we
really worry about here is rattlesnakes on dry land, coral snakes on
sandy land and water mocassins in wet areas. And of course mosquitoes
and sand gnats, the scourges of the earth!

There are adders in Italy. You should feel at home :-)

Don't miss visiting the brothel in Pompeii, if it's open.

And check out the borthel almost, if not, next door to the advertised
one. It has a concrete penis sticking out of the wall to idicate why
type of business was transacted there. At least that's what the
guidebook said.

Old February 2nd, 2005, 11:21 PM
Poetic Justice

nitram wrote:
Not that I recall. I thought the exotic
paintings had been removed from the
walls and were in the Museum in Naples.
The most memorable thing was a statue
of a man with an extremely large phallus,

No, that wasn't the Lupanar-Brothel you were in .
It's actually very non-descript, as you enter it's just 2 rooms on the
left and I believe 3 rooms on the right and then a side entrance in the
left-corner near the small w.c.
The rooms are very small (like prison cells) with short stone beds.
There is an upper floor but it is closed-off.
The fading exotic painting are still in place and there are no statues.

Old February 2nd, 2005, 11:51 PM
Poetic Justice

Pickin@fiddle wrote:

And check out the borthel almost, if not,
next door to the advertised one. It has a
concrete penis sticking out of the wall to
idicate why type of business was
transacted there. At least that's what the
guidebook said.

No, the guidebook is wrong but entertaining at least.
They were more like 'good luck' charms to ward away evil (evil eye) and
to bring good fortune to that home, building or city/town (sometimes
mounted on city gates).
There was nothing sexual about them but when it comes to them warding
off evil or bringing good luck, it seems size *did* matter;-). Regards,

Old February 3rd, 2005, 02:44 AM
Pickin@fiddle

Poetic Justice wrote:
Pickin@fiddle wrote:

And check out the borthel almost, if not,
next door to the advertised one. It has a
concrete penis sticking out of the wall to
idicate why type of business was
transacted there. At least that's what the
guidebook said.

No, the guidebook is wrong but entertaining at least.
They were more like 'good luck' charms to ward away evil (evil eye) and
to bring good fortune to that home, building or city/town (sometimes
mounted on city gates).
There was nothing sexual about them but when it comes to them warding
off evil or bringing good luck, it seems size *did* matter;-). Regards,
Walter

..And Paradise Was Lost...like teardrops in the rain...

Maybe it WAS an evil eye!!

Old February 3rd, 2005, 02:46 AM
Pickin@fiddle

nitram wrote:

B Vaughan wrote:

[...]

I meant vipers.

Don't miss visiting the brothel in Pompeii, if it's open.

And check out the borthel almost, if not, next door to the advertised
one. It has a concrete penis sticking out of the wall to idicate why
type of business was transacted there.

Condom maker?

You must admit that concrete condoms would make for some effective birth
control! And I am going to find that d-d book and use it to -light- my
next fire.

Old February 3rd, 2005, 09:24 PM
Poetic Justice

nitram wrote:
The statue of the man with the large
phallus was in the middle of a small
courtyard.

No, there is no courtyard at the Lupanar/brothel.
This photo shows the inside, 2 cells on the left and 3 on the right.
www.albumviaggi.it/images/zz24lupa.jpg
This is a blueprint of the bldg.
http://pompeya.desdeinter.net/lupanar.htm
Honestly Martin, I'm positive you have your sites mixed-up.
If this brothel had a courtyard with a large penis statue it would be
a hard photo-op to pass up considering the location. And there would
be lots of photos on google-images under Lupanar or Lupanare of it.