Help me planning a 3-day visit to national parks

Old June 6th, 2006, 04:21 PM posted to alt.vacation.las-vegas,rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Help me planning a 3-day visit to national parks

Hello,

Can you please give me some advice on this?

I will leave Las Vegas at 12pm on Wednesday June 28th.
I have to be back by Saturday July 1st at 6pm.

I reserved a place in the GC south rim mother camping for the night of
the 28th. I would have preferred the north rim but no room available.
I reserved a place in the Zion National Park main camping for the night
of the 30th.

How would you fill in the gaps?

My idea is to arrive in the south rim on Wednesday afternoon and spend
the night there.
On Thursday, I plan on driving all the way to the north rim, spend
there a couple of hours, then drive towards the Bryce Canyon.

Is this feasible? Where should I spend the night?

On Friday, I would like to see the Bryce Canyon and later on drive
towards the Zion National Park. Spend the night there, see the park on
Saturday and leave around 4pm to go back to Vegas.

Do you think the overall plan makes sense, or should I just leave the
south rim out and sleep somewhere else on Wednesday night?

Thanks for any advice!
Carlo

Old June 6th, 2006, 05:07 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

In article . com,
PeterL wrote:
Your schedule is way too tight. It's a very tough drive from the
south rim to the north rim. I would skip that.

Yes. There are unreserveable Kaibab National Forest camp sites at
Jacobs Lake, just north of the North Rim. Maybe someone else can
speak to your chances of showing up and getting a site at that time.

Old June 6th, 2006, 05:22 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"Todd Michel McComb" wrote...

PeterL wrote:

Your schedule is way too tight. It's a very tough drive from the
south rim to the north rim. I would skip that.

I agree. Find a way to get more days for this trip--or reduce the planned
locations to visit.

Yes. There are unreserveable Kaibab National Forest camp sites at
Jacobs Lake, just north of the North Rim. Maybe someone else can
speak to your chances of showing up and getting a site at that time.

Given that the campground at Jacob Lake (the last time I checked) had
nothing but water and pit toilets, if full, just ask across the highway at
the USDA FS Visitor Center for a recommendation in the Forest for free
camping nearby. And treat yourself to a meal at the Jacob Lake Lodge--or at
least buy one or two of their freshly baked cookies.

Craig

Old June 6th, 2006, 06:05 PM posted to alt.vacation.las-vegas,rec.travel.usa-canada

"PeterL" wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:
[...]

I agree..skip the north rim and go straight to Bryce and then on to Zion.
This way you can relax a little and enjoy all the beauty..
Go to
www.fatali.com

Old June 6th, 2006, 07:57 PM posted to alt.vacation.las-vegas,rec.travel.usa-canada

I will leave Las Vegas at 12pm on Wednesday...

Try to get an earlier start, if you can. It's roughly a 5-1/2 hour
drive (depending on traffic, etc.), so if you leave Vegas at noon
you'll only have a couple hours (or less) at the south rim before
sunset (around 7:45 pm in June).

Be sure to check out the official site:
http://www.nps.gov/grca/grandcanyon/south-rim/index.htm

I agree with the others about skipping the North Rim. It's beautiful,
but save it for a future visit.

Jim

Old June 6th, 2006, 08:15 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

In article . com,
wrote:
I agree with the others about skipping the North Rim. It's beautiful,
but save it for a future visit.

Well, just to be clear, my advice is to skip the South Rim.

Old June 6th, 2006, 08:48 PM posted to alt.vacation.las-vegas,rec.travel.usa-canada

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

Can you please give me some advice on this?

I will leave Las Vegas at 12pm on Wednesday June 28th.
I have to be back by Saturday July 1st at 6pm.

I reserved a place in the GC south rim mother camping for the night of
the 28th. I would have preferred the north rim but no room available.
I reserved a place in the Zion National Park main camping for the night
of the 30th.

How would you fill in the gaps?

My idea is to arrive in the south rim on Wednesday afternoon and spend
the night there.
On Thursday, I plan on driving all the way to the north rim, spend
there a couple of hours, then drive towards the Bryce Canyon.

Is this feasible? Where should I spend the night?

Not really , its a 5 hour drive from the south rim to the north rim
and then another 3 hours to Bryce Canyon

On Friday, I would like to see the Bryce Canyon and later on drive
towards the Zion National Park. Spend the night there, see the park on
Saturday and leave around 4pm to go back to Vegas.

Do you think the overall plan makes sense, or should I just leave the
south rim out and sleep somewhere else on Wednesday night?

Do NOT miss sunset over the Grand Canyon

Stick with your plan for Wednesday then on Thursday
I'd drive to monument valley and stay overnight in a motel
(in Kayenta perhaps) and then drive to Zion NP/Bryce on
Friday.

For Friday night best book somewhere local
as Motels around there tend to fill up.

Keith

Old June 7th, 2006, 01:18 AM posted to alt.vacation.las-vegas,rec.travel.usa-canada

wrote:

How would you fill in the gaps?

My idea is to arrive in the south rim on Wednesday afternoon and spend
the night there.

It really takes at least a whole day to see even the highlights of the
south rim along the GC, never mind any hikes, picnics, or the like.
That said, I'm one of those who actually prefer Bryce and Zion to the
GC, though they are all worthy of your time.

Go to Bryce, but don't detour to the North Rim this time...make that
it's own trip.
..
On Thursday, I plan on driving all the way to the north rim, spend
there a couple of hours, then drive towards the Bryce Canyon.

Is this feasible? Where should I spend the night?

Spend the night at the lodge/campground (
www.rubysinn.com )just
outside of Bryce. Spend the afternoon hiking into the canyon. You
won't regret it! Take in some of the corny but fun attractions /
events run by Ruby's. Get up early the next day and enjoy the ride to
Zion.

On Friday, I would like to see the Bryce Canyon and later on drive
towards the Zion National Park. Spend the night there, see the park on
Saturday and leave around 4pm to go back to Vegas.

The hiking in Zion is absolutely fantastic. Stay at the lodge in the
park run by the NPS if you can and look at the blog entry I made for a
bit more about Zion.
http://vacation-mamma.blogspot.com/2...a_archive.html

Do you think the overall plan makes sense, or should I just leave the
south rim out and sleep somewhere else on Wednesday night?

I think you are trying to do to much, but completely understand. My
first trip to southern Utah, I squeezed in so many parks: Zion, Bryce,
Escalante, Capitol Reef, and Arches- but I've kept coming back for
almost 20 years now. Fast or slow - it's all good.

Do make your lodging reservations NOW! Many places are booked 6mos-1yr
in advance.