Trains vs Planes and Automobiles

Old March 9th, 2012, 08:30 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

Default Trains vs Planes and Automobiles

On Thu, 8 Mar 2012, Erilar wrote:

I'll be on the bus to Freising, train from Freising to Passau

No S-Bahn from airport to Freising ?
Old March 9th, 2012, 11:23 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Josef Kleber

Am 09.03.2012 09:30, schrieb Giovanni Drogo:
On Thu, 8 Mar 2012, Erilar wrote:

I'll be on the bus to Freising, train from Freising to Passau

No S-Bahn from airport to Freising ?

No. The S1 splits up. One half to Freising the other half to the
airport. So you could use the S-Bahn towards city until the S-Bahn gets
rejoined and change direction to Freising. But that's just nonsense. Bus
is more comfortable and faster.

Josef
Old March 9th, 2012, 08:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Josef Kleber wrote:
Am 09.03.2012 09:30, schrieb Giovanni Drogo:
On Thu, 8 Mar 2012, Erilar wrote:

I'll be on the bus to Freising, train from Freising to Passau

No S-Bahn from airport to Freising ?

No. The S1 splits up. One half to Freising the other half to the
airport. So you could use the S-Bahn towards city until the S-Bahn gets
rejoined and change direction to Freising. But that's just nonsense. Bus
is more comfortable and faster.

My point exactly 8-)

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old March 9th, 2012, 08:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

On Thu, 8 Mar 2012, Erilar wrote:
I'll be on the bus to Freising, train from Freising to Passau

"No S-Bahn from airport to Freising ?

Only if I detour to München first, which is pretty silly as it's the
opposite direction to Passau.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old March 12th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Loco2 Loco2 is offline
Member

Talking

Really interesting reading, banter and tangents folks! Especially since I've observed but never posted before. If you have 1-2 minutes to spare, I've put together a little survey monkey questionnaire to capture people's thoughts on European train booking. A couple of others and I are trying to build software that will make the process altogether quicker and smoother and really appreciate all input from others who take the train on the continent.

It's over he

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Loco2

Thanks!
Old March 15th, 2012, 12:12 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jesper Lauridsen[_1_]

On Fri, 9 Mar 2012 20:28:50 +0000 (UTC), Erilar
wrote:
On Thu, 8 Mar 2012, Erilar wrote:
I'll be on the bus to Freising, train from Freising to Passau

"No S-Bahn from airport to Freising ?

Only if I detour to München first, which is pretty silly as it's the
opposite direction to Passau.

You only have to detour as far as Neufahrn - two stops. Bus is still
better, though.
Old March 15th, 2012, 03:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 11:19:42 +0100, Martin wrote in post :
:

On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 10:41:48 +0100, "Tim C." wrote:

On Tue, 6 Mar 2012 20:42:22 +0000 (UTC), Erilar wrote in post :
:

bill wrote:
On Tue, 06 Mar 2012 16:16:37 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Tue, 06 Mar 2012 16:08:37 +0100, Tom P wrote:

On 03/05/2012 07:24 PM, bill wrote:
The last time I flew within Europe it was with Ryanair and I decided
then that there has to be a better way to travel...

lol.. I'd agree with that...

... but not a cheaper, quicker way in many cases.

Only if you're lucky.

Munich? I meant Nuremburg/Regensburg.

Bratwusrst? Yum!

Erilar has a direct flight from the USA to Munich Airport, which is
almost Nurenburg ( Munich)

I missed the bit where she said she was coming from.

For some strange reason I thought she was in Berlin. Duh!

--
Tim C.
Old March 15th, 2012, 08:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

bill wrote:
On Tue, 06 Mar 2012 16:16:37 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Tue, 06 Mar 2012 16:08:37 +0100, Tom P wrote:

On 03/05/2012 07:24 PM, bill wrote:
The last time I flew within Europe it was with Ryanair and I decided
then that there has to be a better way to travel...

lol.. I'd agree with that...

... but not a cheaper, quicker way in many cases.

Only if you're lucky.

Munich? I meant Nuremburg/Regensburg.

Bratwusrst? Yum!

Erilar has a direct flight from the USA to Munich Airport, which is
almost Nurenburg ( Munich)

I missed the bit where she said she was coming from.

For some strange reason I thought she was in Berlin. Duh!

Berlin would be a different trip. I've been there on other trips. This one
is Donau exploration 8-) I fly from and to Chicago in any case; my
daughter lives north of Chicago and she and/or her husband get me to and
from the airport.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old March 15th, 2012, 08:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Jesper Lauridsen wrote:
On Fri, 9 Mar 2012 20:28:50 +0000 (UTC), Erilar wrote:
On Thu, 8 Mar 2012, Erilar wrote:
I'll be on the bus to Freising, train from Freising to Passau

"No S-Bahn from airport to Freising ?

Only if I detour to München first, which is pretty silly as it's the
opposite direction to Passau.

You only have to detour as far as Neufahrn - two stops. Bus is still better, though.

Particularly better than an extra change!

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad