ID at check-in

Old October 2nd, 2008, 11:38 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Patrick Hernan

Default ID at check-in

I stayed at a major hotel in Las Vegas recently. At check-in they wanted
a credit card and picture ID. I gave them a credit card and my driver's
license as an ID. Before I knew it she entered my driver's license
number into the hotel computer. This has never happened to me before.
When I objected she said "everybody does it now" but that is certainly
not my experience. This really seems like an invasion of privacy in the
time of identity theft. I can only imagine how many employees have
access to that computer. Even when I travel abroad hotel clerks usually
don't take down my passport number. As an American traveling in America
this seems outrageous. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Old October 3rd, 2008, 12:42 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Marsha[_2_]

Patrick Hernan wrote:
I stayed at a major hotel in Las Vegas recently. At check-in they wanted
a credit card and picture ID. I gave them a credit card and my driver's
license as an ID. Before I knew it she entered my driver's license
number into the hotel computer. This has never happened to me before.
When I objected she said "everybody does it now" but that is certainly
not my experience. This really seems like an invasion of privacy in the
time of identity theft. I can only imagine how many employees have
access to that computer. Even when I travel abroad hotel clerks usually
don't take down my passport number. As an American traveling in America
this seems outrageous. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I've stayed in probably 12 different hotels in the last year, some as
recently as two weeks ago, and not a single one of them asked for
picture ID. I would have refused to give it to them anyway. If they
insisted, I would have held onto it while they looked at it, but never
would have given it to them.

Marsha/Ohio

Old October 3rd, 2008, 12:51 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jim Davis[_1_]

"Marsha" wrote in message ...
Patrick Hernan wrote:
[...]

Be thankful for the ones that ask for picture ID with a CC. It helps to
weed out some of the stolen cards.

As far as taking the numbers, I've never had that happen.

Old October 3rd, 2008, 03:26 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Cari

"Patrick Hernan" wrote in message

I stayed at a major hotel in Las Vegas recently. At check-in they wanted a
credit card and picture ID. I gave them a credit card and my driver's
license as an ID. Before I knew it she entered my driver's license number
into the hotel computer. This has never happened to me before. When I
objected she said "everybody does it now" but that is certainly not my
experience. This really seems like an invasion of privacy in the time of
identity theft. I can only imagine how many employees have access to that
computer. Even when I travel abroad hotel clerks usually don't take down
my passport number. As an American traveling in America this seems
outrageous. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Fairly standard in Las Vegas as the occupant of the room MUST be 21 or over
and the way to identify this in the USA is by drivers licence. Foreign
visitors must hand over their passport and have those details entered in the
computers. If you refmember back to 9.11, Mohammed Atta and his fellow
terrorists briefly stayed in Vegas a few months before the attack,
unfortunately the motel's photocopies was 'not working' at the time and no
details were recorded. If they had been, things might have been very
different.

It's not an invasion of privacy if it saves your life. The airlines also
have your details. How many airline personnel around the world have access
to those details? Probably many more than work at the hotel. I live in
Vegas. This year I've travelled to California, Texas and Washington
(state). All the hotels have either entered my details in their computer
systems or photocopied my license. Southwest have my details, so do United,
Alaska and probably a couple of others. I'd rather they know who I am and
keep me, my relations and my possessions safe than argue about little
details like that.
--
Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
www.coribright.com/windows

Old October 3rd, 2008, 04:50 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
pltrgyst[_2_]

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 19:26:07 -0700, "Cari" wrote:

....The airlines also
have your details. How many airline personnel around the world have access
to those details? Probably many more than work at the hotel. I live in
Vegas. This year I've travelled to California, Texas and Washington
(state). All the hotels have either entered my details in their computer
systems or photocopied my license. Southwest have my details, so do United,
Alaska and probably a couple of others....

I've never had an airline copy information from my driver's license, or ask for
it when selling me a ticket or issuing a boarding pass. And that includes United
and Southwest among them.

-- Larry
Old October 3rd, 2008, 05:06 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
AZ Nomad[_3_]

On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 23:50:58 -0400, pltrgyst wrote:

I've never had an airline copy information from my driver's license, or ask for
it when selling me a ticket or issuing a boarding pass. And that includes United
and Southwest among them.

Checking ID before issueing a boarding pass is universal.
That includes all the airlines.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 05:13 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

wrote:

It's not an invasion of privacy if it saves your life.

Of course it is. That doesn't mean you might not be happy about
it post facto.

Old October 3rd, 2008, 05:24 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
AZ Nomad[_3_]

On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 21:14:43 -0700, MI wrote:

On 10/2/08 9:06 PM, in article
, "AZ Nomad"

wrote:

I've never had an airline copy information from my driver's license, or ask
for
it when selling me a ticket or issuing a boarding pass. And that includes
United
and Southwest among them.

Checking ID before issueing a boarding pass is universal.
That includes all the airlines.

That is true, but they just look at it. They don't record it nor should
they. A passport is used to identify someone. Not even immigration officers
record it when you enter a country. They look at it and stamp it. Period.

I never said they record it.

I was taking exception to pltrgyst's statement that they don't even ask for it
when selling a ticket or issueing a boarding pass.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 05:40 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 21:14:43 -0700, MI
wrote:

On 10/2/08 9:06 PM, in article
, "AZ Nomad"

wrote:

I've never had an airline copy information from my driver's license, or ask
for
it when selling me a ticket or issuing a boarding pass. And that includes
United
and Southwest among them.

Checking ID before issueing a boarding pass is universal.
That includes all the airlines.

That is true, but they just look at it. They don't record it nor should
they. A passport is used to identify someone. Not even immigration officers
record it when you enter a country. They look at it and stamp it. Period.

In the past, though, that has been because there was no really
practical way to deal with the info.