very important questions about travelling and eating in Europe

Old September 11th, 2007, 07:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hobo Ken

Default very important questions about travelling and eating in Europe

On 11 Sep, 20:05, (John Kulp) wrote:
On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 18:40:25 +0100, (David Horne,

_the_ chancellor (*)) wrote:
B Vaughan wrote:

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 13:51:38 GMT, (John Kulp)
wrote:

Are they the same thing or are you just saying that the English have a
muffin called and English muffin? I have never seen what we call an
English muffin (for whatever reason) in England.

The English crumpet is similar to the American English muffin.

Oddly, some shops here (Sainsbury's is one) has sold both crumpets and
English muffins. I guess there must be a difference, but I don't know.
US style muffins are quite common here now, whereas they were harder to
find, say, 20 years ago. I suppose that's true of a lot of things
though.

Well that explains it then. It was at least that long ago I stopped
looking.

John, you're more of a 'muffin the mule' type ;-)

Old September 11th, 2007, 07:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

John Kulp wrote:

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 18:40:25 +0100, (David Horne,
_the_ chancellor (*)) wrote:

B Vaughan wrote:

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 13:51:38 GMT,
(John Kulp)
wrote:

Are they the same thing or are you just saying that the English have a
muffin called and English muffin? I have never seen what we call an
English muffin (for whatever reason) in England.

The English crumpet is similar to the American English muffin.

Oddly, some shops here (Sainsbury's is one) has sold both crumpets and
English muffins. I guess there must be a difference, but I don't know.
US style muffins are quite common here now, whereas they were harder to
find, say, 20 years ago. I suppose that's true of a lot of things
though.

Well that explains it then. It was at least that long ago I stopped
looking.

Yes. I seem to remember Oscar buying crumpets, and they tasted just like
English muffins, then the other way around! As a kid, I'd never had a
muffin or a crumpet, they weren't common where I grew up I suppose!

--
(*) ... of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
http://www.davidhorne.net - real address on website
Old September 11th, 2007, 08:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Gee

"Padraig Breathnach" wrote in message
UC wrote:

1) why the most famous country for French fries is Belgium?

Is it a language thing? Should they be Walloon fries?

2) why the hot dog is called "Wiener" in Frankfurt and "Frankfurter"
in
Wien?

3) why the Russian salad is called Salad Olivier in Russia?

4) why Brussels sprouts have a reference to the city of Bruxelles in
every European language, but not in Dutch, where they're called just
"Spruitkool" ?

5) why zuppa inglese (English soup) is a typical creamy Italian
dessert?

Does it resemble what the French call sauce anglaise?

The Heinz Company still makes a salad dressing called "English Cream".

Old September 11th, 2007, 08:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Gee

"John Kulp" wrote in message
For the same reason English muffins are American not English?

Not true, actually. They're often called English muffins here, and US
muffins are called American style, or somesuch.

Are they the same thing or are you just saying that the English have a
muffin called and English muffin? I have never seen what we call an
English muffin (for whatever reason) in England.

When I was a kid in England (1959 - 1967) they were called "crumpets".

I later learned not to confuse them with "a lovely bit of crumpet",
which was something else entirely. w

Old September 11th, 2007, 08:19 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Gee

"UC" wrote in message
.telekom.at...
1) why the most famous country for French fries is Belgium?

2) why the hot dog is called "Wiener" in Frankfurt and "Frankfurter"
in Wien?

3) why the Russian salad is called Salad Olivier in Russia?

4) why Brussels sprouts have a reference to the city of Bruxelles in
every European language, but not in Dutch, where they're called just
"Spruitkool" ?

5) why zuppa inglese (English soup) is a typical creamy Italian
dessert?

Why do American cafe menus boast of "Canadian bacon", when you can't
find any of it in Canada? (We call it "back bacon" here.)

Old September 11th, 2007, 08:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
B Vaughan

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 19:19:59 GMT, "David Gee"
wrote:

Why do American cafe menus boast of "Canadian bacon", when you can't
find any of it in Canada? (We call it "back bacon" here.)

Because to an American it's a foreign thing, and they associate it
with Canada. Why would a Canadian call anything Canadian? You only
label a foreign thing with its nationality.

--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old September 11th, 2007, 08:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

B Vaughan wrote:

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 18:40:25 +0100, (David Horne,
_the_ chancellor (*)) wrote:

B Vaughan wrote:

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 13:51:38 GMT,
(John Kulp)
wrote:

Are they the same thing or are you just saying that the English have a
muffin called and English muffin? I have never seen what we call an
English muffin (for whatever reason) in England.

The English crumpet is similar to the American English muffin.

Oddly, some shops here (Sainsbury's is one) has sold both crumpets and
English muffins. I guess there must be a difference, but I don't know.

There is a difference, at least from what I've seen. The crumpets I've
had are a bit denser than English muffins, for one, and the shape is
slightly different. The crumpets I've seen are wider at the top than
at the bottom. They look as though they're wearing a little cap.

I suspect there's variation, but what you're saying rings a bell. I've
just googled some pictures, and yes, that description looks right.