Mean People Overseas

Old June 16th, 2006, 09:51 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Mean People Overseas

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 10:25:34 +0200, Jens Arne Maennig

mean people. [...] Was this mean [...] I believe this breeds
meaness [...] All jerks. [...] put on an air of being
mean [...]

Try http://tinyurl.com/amzfx for some first information.

Jens

You know the difference betwen a psychotic and a neurotic?

A psychotic thinks that 2 + 2 = 5.
A neurotic knows that 2 + 2 = 4 but can't stand it.

Keith, Bristol, UK

Email: usenet[dot]20[dot]keefy[at]spamgourmet[dot]com

This is a sp*mtrap, but I will get your mail!

Old June 16th, 2006, 10:04 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Dave Frightens Me wrote:

On 15 Jun 2006 12:38:05 -0700, "
wrote:

She meant "Enough!" to stop me from continuing what I was saying. I
know this 100%. What I'm asking was it mean. I will admit I was
rambling on about the water park but did she have to cut me off by
saying "Enough!". I think she could have used some tact, such as maybe
saying "Excuse me, I have another client to help".

Perhaps you had very bad breath.

That's mean.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old June 16th, 2006, 10:22 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to Keith Anderson :

You know the difference betwen a psychotic and a neurotic?

A psychotic thinks that 2 + 2 = 5.
A neurotic knows that 2 + 2 = 4 but can't stand it.

LOL!
--
Tim C.
Old June 16th, 2006, 10:32 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Padraig Breathnach wrote:

Dave Frightens Me wrote:

On 15 Jun 2006 12:38:05 -0700, "
wrote:

She meant "Enough!" to stop me from continuing what I was saying. I
know this 100%. What I'm asking was it mean. I will admit I was
rambling on about the water park but did she have to cut me off by
saying "Enough!". I think she could have used some tact, such as maybe
saying "Excuse me, I have another client to help".

Perhaps you had very bad breath.

That's mean.

Maybe he didnīt mean it that way ?
--
Kristian
Old June 16th, 2006, 10:44 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to Martin :

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 10:35:08 +0200, Tim C.
wrote:

Following up to Jens Arne Maennig :

wrote:

mean people. [...] Was this mean [...] I believe this breeds
meaness [...] All jerks. [...] put on an air of being
mean [...]

Try http://tinyurl.com/amzfx for some first information.

Jens, I can see you're not taking this seriously.

Do you mean you are?

"yes, yes, yes, yes ....no"
--
Tim C.
Old June 16th, 2006, 10:48 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

On 15 Jun 2006 12:38:05 -0700, "
wrote:

She meant "Enough!" to stop me from continuing what I was saying. I
know this 100%. What I'm asking was it mean. I will admit I was
rambling on about the water park but did she have to cut me off by
saying "Enough!". I think she could have used some tact, such as maybe
saying "Excuse me, I have another client to help".

Perhaps you had very bad breath.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old June 16th, 2006, 11:35 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to

I'm in Holland and the woman at the tourist office tells me about a
water park nearby. I tell her I have already been there and start
saying things like "Wow, "Incredible", Oh my ghosh". Then she says
"Enough!" Was this mean or just a Dutch thing?

So you are telling us you think americans over enthuse about
things they find "awsome"?
OR
if a "straight" comment then you just got the level wrong,
"enough" is a amusing response I think, did you feel mildly
sexually rebuffed?

I have the unfortunate opportunity to meet a lot of mean people in
luxury hotels - and in lower priced hotels. In the luxury hotels
there's a lot of them. You have to be dresses right and spend lots of
money to get respect, if at all.

I find in "luxury" hotels the customers go about thier business
and tend to be quite private. The staff may be told to be rather
distant in dealings with you. spending money, dressing up or
"posing" wont help, remember the staff are not rich people, just
dressed up poorish people. They probably can tell at a glance the
dressed down rich from the dressed up poor. Cant we all?

Remember dressing up does not require the assumption of an aloof
demeanor.

At the lower priced hotels if you
dress rich and spend money you are looked down upon.

True, flashy overspenders are unlikely to be liked.

Anyone have this experience?

My experience is that (usually) good manners and an appreciation
of anything thats is nice, (rather than aloof bored distain) work
well, along with leaving a tip and a smile where appropriate.

Money making is generally hard and I believe this breeds
meaness on all fronts of international travel.

Meanness by whom? Travellers or tourist business people? If the
latter it probably comes from dealing with rude tourists or just
not liking the job.
--
Mike Reid
Shetland, Yell and Unst
Old June 16th, 2006, 11:43 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to The Reid :

At the lower priced hotels if you
dress rich and spend money you are looked down upon.

True, flashy overspenders are unlikely to be liked.

Like Harry Enfield's brummy self-made man.
--
Tim C.