Transportation CDG Airport to Hotel in Paris

Old July 3rd, 2018, 09:03 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

Default Transportation CDG Airport to Hotel in Paris

On 7/2/18 2:58 PM, Ken Blake wrote:
On Mon, 2 Jul 2018 14:18:40 -0700, poldy wrote:

On 7/1/18 12:57 PM, Ken Blake wrote:
Uber is certainly available. At least, it was a year or two ago, but
there have been efforts by the regular taxi companies to have it
banned. I don't know if these have succeeded.

I've used Uber many times, but only in the US. I find it very
convenient, generally much more so than taxis. If you can't help me
with Uber, perhaps someone else here can.

Anyone here who can provide information about Uber in Paris,
especially at CDG airport?

https://www.uber.com/airports/cdg/

At some airports, Uber isn't allowed to pick up at curbside. At CDG it
appears they're allowed to.

You can enter your origin (CDG) and destination near some famous
landmark, such as the Opera or Hotel de Ville on the front page of
uber.com and it will come up with estimates.

You want to try different times, especially the time you anticipate it
will be when you clear immigration and get all your luggage.

Thank you very much. I just did that and it came up with €50-60. I was
hoping for a more precise estimate, but that's better than nothing.

How does that €50-60 compare with taking a taxi? Can you guess about
how much a taxi would cost?

According to this site, there are flat fares:

https://www.parisaeroport.fr/en/pass...paris-cdg-taxi

I'm not sure how accurate this site is:

https://www.taxifarefinder.com/main....France&lang=en

Also beware of taking official taxis. I don't know if it's a problem at
CDG but once at Gare du Nord, we went out to the front of the station
and there were people coming up to us asking if we wanted a taxi.

Turns out the only place where official taxis are allowed to pick up at
that station is to the side of the building, with marked signs. The
licensed cabbies aren't going around trying to convince people to ride
with them.

Instead they just queue up where the people are suppose to line up.
These unlicensed "taxis" are apparently dodgy. If they can't even get
vetted for Uber, you have to wonder about them.

Old July 3rd, 2018, 09:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake[_3_]

On Tue, 3 Jul 2018 13:03:43 -0700, poldy wrote:

[...]

Thanks. That say 79€, a *lot* more than Uber

I'm not sure how accurate this site is:

https://www.taxifarefinder.com/main....France&lang=en

That says 50,82 €

Also beware of taking official taxis.

Yes, thanks. I'm well aware of that.

Old July 4th, 2018, 09:14 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Athel Cornish-Bowden

On 2018-07-03 20:03:43 +0000, poldy said:

[...]

I made exactly that observation at the Gare du Nord two years ago. I
wasn't fooled, but the (English) people behind me in the queue almost
were, until I warned them that these people were not offering proper
taxis. They had just arrived from London on the Eurostar, and I also
warned them that they need to leave a LOT of time to get through the
controls on the way back. I had just come back from London myself on
the Eurostar, and at St Pancras I could just walk through with no
delays. On the outward journey from Paris it had taken a good 45
minutes and the information about where one was supposed to wait was
between minimal and non-existent. (The delays were caused by the UK
passport controls and security checks.) This was in 2016. It may be
better (or worse!) now.

--
athel

Old July 7th, 2018, 12:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Paul Aubrin

Le Sun, 01 Jul 2018 07:39:36 -0700, Ken Blake wroteÂ*:

Thanks very much. But if I add together the cost of the train for two
people and the taxi in Paris, how much less will it cost than just
taking a taxi from the airport? I might be wrong, but I thought there
wouldn't be a big saving.

Taxi fare from CDG to Paris : 50 EUR.
https://www.parisaeroport.fr/en/pass...paris-cdg-taxi

Trains (RER) are convenient.

There are also city buses, airline coaches, shuttles

http://easycdg.com/transport/taxi-sh...arlesdegaulle/