Safety in South Africa

Old September 1st, 2004, 05:04 AM
geotek

You are exactly correct, Mr, Lurie! That is good advice.
I hope you enjoy your trip, Elio!
geotek

"Marc Lurie" wrote in message
On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 18:40:22 GMT, "geotek" wrote:

You'll be asked to tip the "unofficial" parking lot attendants,

especially
at night. I always did, but my South African friends NEVER tipped, and
actively encouraged me not to tip (but I did.)

There are parking attendants, and there are parking attendants...

At a mall or shopping complex there are parking attendants who mill
around scrounging tips. Some of them are employed by a company or by
the mall itself. Some belong to a carwatch "program" that might supply
them with a bib or jacket, but nothing else. I refuse to tip any
attendant in a mall or shopping area. I believe that the mall should
do whatever is necessary to ensure the safety of my car, and I should
not have to tip someone for doing it.

Outside of malls, and particularly at night, I always tip the
attendant. The best way of ensuring that your car isn't broken into is
to speak with the attendant just after you have parked. Ask him his
name, and memorise it. When you get back to your car, call him by
name, and give him a tip. (I give R2 or R5). I guarantee that the next
time you park there, he will absolutely sure that your car is safe.

I visit a local restaurant fairly regularly, and the attendant knows
my car. I always tip, and I know that my car is perfectly safe.

Perhaps your SA friends were mostly Capetonians. They tend to be much
more tight fisted than Jo'burgers :-)

Regards,
Marc