Oslo, Norway questions

Old March 21st, 2005, 10:13 PM
Martin Strand

Default Oslo, Norway questions

On 21 Mar 2005 09:37:18 -0800, wrote:

Can we safely walk (with luggage) from the station to the hotel?

That shouldn't be any problem. The crime rate in central Oslo is very low.

2. What will the weather likely be like in late May?

Who knows? It will probably be like a cold summer, so if you're used to a
warm climate, you might want to bring some warm clothes. In Northern
Norway, where I live, we can still experience some winter/early spring
weather at that time, but Oslo is normally is a state of late spring/early
summer, so the temperature should be pleasant. It can rain, so you should
chech the weather just before you leave.

Will we need a
heavy coat in the evening and/or morning? Also, we are planning to take
the "Norway in a Nutshell" tour. Will we need a heavy coat in the
mountains or on the fjord ferry?

If you're planning to enter the /real/ mountains (ie. Galdhøpiggen or
Gaustatoppen), you should have a wind proof coat, and a warm sweater --
not just /a/ heavy coat! Be sure to include breathing underwear and good
shoes.

On the fjord -- which one, by the way -- do you have to protect yourself
against the wind, so your coat should be wind proof.

Thanks for any advice.

No problem. Welcome to Norway, and if I could give just one more advice:
Plan your journey such that your're in Oslo at May 17. It's our
Constitution Day, and the celebration is unique: Instead of showing off
our military power, we present the kids, and the public celebrations
gathers people all over the country.

--
Martin Strand
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure

Old March 21st, 2005, 11:47 PM

Thanks very much for your fast reply.
I wish we could be there for Constitution Day. Unfortunately, my
vacation does not begin until 22 May, and we will be in Bergen first,
and not in Oslo until 26 May.
We will be on the Sognefjord from Flam, going to Gudvangen. I think
the highest elevation will be at Voss or Myrdal.
Thanks again.
Ray

Martin Strand wrote:
[...]

If you're planning to enter the /real/ mountains (ie. Galdh=F8piggen

[...]

sure =20
sign of a diseased mind."
-Terry Pratchett, =ABEric=BB

Old March 22nd, 2005, 04:30 PM
Martin Strand

On 21 Mar 2005 14:47:30 -0800, wrote:

Thanks very much for your fast reply.
I wish we could be there for Constitution Day. Unfortunately, my
vacation does not begin until 22 May, and we will be in Bergen first,

Bergen! Well, you should definitive bring a rain coat! The rest of Norway
is crowding Bergen for their rain.

and not in Oslo until 26 May.
We will be on the Sognefjord from Flam, going to Gudvangen. I think

Sognefjorden is a good deal further north than both Oslo and Bergen, so
you should perhaps be prepared for some really bad weahter as well.

the highest elevation will be at Voss or Myrdal.

Voss isn't that high, but Myrdal is a mountain mstop on the Bergen-Oslo
railway, and the weather is unpredictable at that time of the year.
However, I don't thing you'll have to bring the kind of heavy equipment I
described in my first reply -- unless you're going for a hike.

Old March 23rd, 2005, 12:17 AM
Jack Campin - bogus address

We (two s and a teen-age ) will be spending three days in
Oslo, Norway in late May, and have several questions:
1. What is the neighborhood like west of the central train station?
We are considering the Rainbow Astoria hotel, about three streets
west and one south of the station. Can we safely walk (with luggage)
from the station to the hotel?

The main risk in Oslo is dying of acute boredom.

2. What will the weather likely be like in late May?

I think that was when I was there. Torrential ****ing rain.

Old March 23rd, 2005, 10:31 AM
Deep Foiled Malls

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 23:17:57 +0000, Jack Campin - bogus address
wrote:

We (two s and a teen-age ) will be spending three days in
Oslo, Norway in late May, and have several questions:
1. What is the neighborhood like west of the central train station?
We are considering the Rainbow Astoria hotel, about three streets
west and one south of the station. Can we safely walk (with luggage)
from the station to the hotel?

The main risk in Oslo is dying of acute boredom.

Second to burning through all your cash in the first 48 hours.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com

Old March 23rd, 2005, 03:53 PM
Padraig Breathnach

wrote:

The main risk in Oslo is dying of acute boredom.

Second to burning through all your cash in the first 48 hours.

Only if you want to eat or drink. Most people can survive on a minimal
diet for 48 hours, so it might be possible to make your money last
into the third day.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED