Paying to get on first

Old February 17th, 2006, 10:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air

Default Paying to get on first

On 2006-02-16 16:34:22 -0800, Dave Smith said:

"tim (in Sweden)" wrote:

Stelios was being interviewed on (BBC) R5 last night and he revealed
that his latest scam, um fare reducing idea, is to charge extra to be in
group A and get on first.

He suggested 5 pounds would put you in the same group as the:
families with children.

Can't say I'd be buying this myself, any takers?

The plane doesn't take off any earlier. No matter when you get on you aren't
going to start to taxi for takeoff until everyone else is on. The sooner you
get on and get seated the longer you have to wait.

let me see if I have this right....ok, I get on before you all and I
get to sit among all the little screaming snot-nozzles and their
entitled parents and wait until all are loaded? are you serious? bill

Old February 17th, 2006, 11:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

bill frogg wrote:

let me see if I have this right....ok, I get on before you all and I get
to sit among all the little screaming snot-nozzles and their entitled
parents and wait until all are loaded? are you serious? bill

No, it's better than that.

You get on early, find out where said little screaming snot-nozzles and
entitled pahrunts are sitting, and then sit as far away from them as
possible. Then you let some other poor unfortunate sod park his sorry
ass among the LSS-Ns and their EPs.

Simple, eh? HTH. HAND.
--
dgs

Old February 20th, 2006, 09:17 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air

Following up to bill frogg :

On 2006-02-16 16:34:22 -0800, Dave Smith said:

"tim (in Sweden)" wrote:

Stelios was being interviewed on (BBC) R5 last night and he revealed
that his latest scam, um fare reducing idea, is to charge extra to be in
group A and get on first.

He suggested 5 pounds would put you in the same group as the:
families with children.

Can't say I'd be buying this myself, any takers?

The plane doesn't take off any earlier. No matter when you get on you aren't
going to start to taxi for takeoff until everyone else is on. The sooner you
get on and get seated the longer you have to wait.

let me see if I have this right....ok, I get on before you all and I
get to sit among all the little screaming snot-nozzles and their
entitled parents and wait until all are loaded? are you serious? bill

Only if you're as thick as two short planks.
Would it not occur to you to site somewhere else?
--
Tim C.
Old February 20th, 2006, 10:30 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to Martin :

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 09:17:46 +0100, Tim C.

Following up to bill frogg :

On 2006-02-16 16:34:22 -0800, Dave Smith said:

"tim (in Sweden)" wrote:

Stelios was being interviewed on (BBC) R5 last night and he revealed
that his latest scam, um fare reducing idea, is to charge extra to be in
group A and get on first.

He suggested 5 pounds would put you in the same group as the:
families with children.

Can't say I'd be buying this myself, any takers?

The plane doesn't take off any earlier. No matter when you get on you aren't
going to start to taxi for takeoff until everyone else is on. The sooner you
get on and get seated the longer you have to wait.

let me see if I have this right....ok, I get on before you all and I
get to sit among all the little screaming snot-nozzles and their
entitled parents and wait until all are loaded? are you serious? bill

Only if you're as thick as two short planks.
Would it not occur to you to site somewhere else?

You left out an "h", Tim.

:-)
And added an extra 'e'. Or maybe not.
--
Tim C.
Old February 20th, 2006, 02:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air

tim (in Sweden) wrote:
Stelios was being interviewed on (BBC) R5 last night and he revealed
that his latest scam, um fare reducing idea, is to charge extra to be in
group A and get on first.

He suggested 5 pounds would put you in the same group as the:
families with children.

Can't say I'd be buying this myself, any takers?

tim

AFAIAA there are several reasons for letting families with small
children (and incidentally, elderly frail relatives) on first.

Firstly, it is unreasonable to expect families with small children or
elderly passengers to have to stand and wait in line for an interminable
length of time to board the plane.

Secondly, the rule ensures that families with small children can sit
together.

Lastly, there is the safety aspect to avoid injury to small children
in the push and shove to get on.

I can't see that extending this privilege to passengers who are
prepared to spend the money is going to help either the safety or
comfort of small childrenand elderly passengers, or make it easier for
families with small children to sit together.

T.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 11:09 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to Tim C.

and there's a huge stampede of people trying to get in first for a
window-seat or to reserve an extra seat next to them.

and two people who occupy three seats hoping no one will say
"f*** off out of that seat unless you want me to sit between you
and spill drinks over you all the way to Girona, where I will
take the **** out of you for thinking it was Barcelona".
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Old February 22nd, 2006, 11:09 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to erilar

Obviously two airlines for me to avoid!

sadly, they insist on driving down prices at the cost of anything
and everything. It seems that's what people want, as the not
quite so cheap but fairly normal service lines went bust.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 11:09 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air

Following up to tim (in Sweden)

Can't say I'd be buying this myself, any takers?

If I had to use his flights I'd pay to avoid fighting my way to a
seat. Assuming the system was actually going to work. What I
really want is them to do the job properly and allocate me seats
together in the first place so I don't have to queue and my wife
can sit down until boarding.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 11:09 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air

Following up to tim (in Sweden)

ISTM that it costs real money to implement a seat allocation
system at check-in. This also takes longer (uses more staff)
whilst everyone selects their favorite seat.

They usually just ask aisle or window. How long does that take?
I don't believe the quick boarding story, how much does it slow
things down passengers identifying the correct seat? Most of any
delay is from the time it takes to put things in overheads before
sitting down holding up those behind.