Baggage Stowage in Arusha or at Kilimanjaro Airport

Old June 23rd, 2004, 09:01 PM
Greg Wesson

Default Baggage Stowage in Arusha or at Kilimanjaro Airport

I am planning to climb Kilimanjaro in January of 2005 and then spend
two weeks doing safari / Zanzibar. (I know, such a long way off!)

Obviously things would be easier if I didn't have to take my mountain
stuff with me in my backpack for the 2 weeks after the climb.

Can anyone recommend hotels in Arusha that have a baggage stowage
service where I could leave a bag for a couple of weeks? Or are there
lockers or stowage at the airport?

Thanks,
Greg
Old June 24th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Johan W. Elzenga

Greg Wesson wrote:

I am planning to climb Kilimanjaro in January of 2005 and then spend
two weeks doing safari / Zanzibar. (I know, such a long way off!)

Obviously things would be easier if I didn't have to take my mountain
stuff with me in my backpack for the 2 weeks after the climb.

Can anyone recommend hotels in Arusha that have a baggage stowage
service where I could leave a bag for a couple of weeks? Or are there
lockers or stowage at the airport?

Wouldn't the company you are using take care of that? I can't imagine
that you are the only person with that problem...

--
Johan W. Elzenga johanatjohanfoto.nl
Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
Old June 25th, 2004, 04:22 PM
Greg Wesson

Johan W. Elzenga wrote
Wouldn't the company you are using take care of that? I can't imagine
that you are the only person with that problem...

They will watch my bags when I am on the mountain. However, after I
am off the mountain I am on my own.

Greg
Old July 1st, 2004, 06:21 PM
Gary Balfour

(Greg Wesson) wrote in message om...
I am planning to climb Kilimanjaro in January of 2005 and then spend
two weeks doing safari / Zanzibar. (I know, such a long way off!)

Obviously things would be easier if I didn't have to take my mountain
stuff with me in my backpack for the 2 weeks after the climb.

Can anyone recommend hotels in Arusha that have a baggage stowage
service where I could leave a bag for a couple of weeks? Or are there
lockers or stowage at the airport?

Thanks,
Greg

Dear Greg,

To answer your last question first, no. There are no lockers at
Kilimanjaro Airport.

If you book with one company to handle all of your arrangments, they
will look after your bags for you whilst on the climb and then look
after other stuff whilst on safari.

You won't want to take everything up the mountain and you also will
have limited space (usually) in the safari vehicle.

Experience has shown that it is always best to do the Kili climb first
in your trip. That way time spent in the vehicle watching wildlife
won't cause you to lose some of the excercise edge you will have had
(save for the plane ride) leading up to your trip. Make sure you do a
lot of walking just before you travel, if possible at higher
altitudes.

Using my simple map, you can see the travel logic in what I am going
to say next.

Marangu Gate Moshi Kilomanjaro Airport Arusha Arusha
Apt.
I----- 30KMS ----I--- 40KMS -----I-------- 60KMS -------I--- 15KMS --I

It would make the most sense to go directly to a Marangu area hotel
(or Machame area if you are taking that route) on arrival and not go
to Arusha.

All of the hotels will look after your luggage whilst you climb and
you will almost always overnight at that hotel before and after the
climb. Then you will travel to Arusha to start the safari part of the
trip. You can leave your stuff at an Arusha hotel or have the tour
company look after it.

If you are going on to Zanzibar, those flight usually depart from the
Arusha airport which you pass on your way to the parks. If you have
left your stuff with the safari company, they can arrange for it to
meet you at the Airport saving you a trip back to the town.

Have a great time. Let me know if you need some help with
arrangements.

www.safari.cc