Driving from Puerto Vallarta to Acaculpo

Old June 12th, 2004, 06:24 PM
Bob W

Default Driving from Puerto Vallarta to Acaculpo

My wife and I will arrive in Puerto Vallarta the last week in July
2004. We plan to stay in Puerto Vallarta for the entire month of
August, then rent a car and drive from Puerto Vallarta to Acapulco in
September. I am seeking opinions on whether or not it is safe to drive
this route. I am very comfortable driving in Mexico, having driven in
many parts of the Baja peninsula and from Mexico City to Acapulco, but
I am a little nervous about this route -- especially the area between
Puerto Vallarta and Manzanillo. The maps show this to be an isolated
area with few towns. Could someone please enlighten me?

Thanks,

Bob W.

Old June 12th, 2004, 09:25 PM
Richard Ferguson

That road does not have the best reputation, especially in Guerrero
state, which Acapulco is in. I would be sure to drive only in broad
daylight, and stop well before dark.

Richard

Old June 13th, 2004, 02:55 AM
Technobarbarian

"Bob W" wrote in message
om...
My wife and I will arrive in Puerto Vallarta the last week in July
2004. We plan to stay in Puerto Vallarta for the entire month of
August, then rent a car and drive from Puerto Vallarta to Acapulco in
September. I am seeking opinions on whether or not it is safe to drive
this route. I am very comfortable driving in Mexico, having driven in
many parts of the Baja peninsula and from Mexico City to Acapulco, but
I am a little nervous about this route -- especially the area between
Puerto Vallarta and Manzanillo. The maps show this to be an isolated
area with few towns. Could someone please enlighten me?

I've driven most of the west coast, except for Tepic to Puerto Vallarta
and Puerto Vallarta to Manzanillo, in the last few years. It's scenic, but
very slow driving. I think Richard has the right idea, stay off the highway
after dark and it shouldn't be any more problematic that driving other parts
of Mexico. I missed the Manzanillo to Tepic section because I got tired of
trudging up the coast highway and needed to get home in a reasonable amount
of time. Coming into Guadalajara from the south there are some very scenic
spots where the toll road leaps from one Mountain top to another. You can
see the old libre highway winding around the hills and valleys below you.
Depending on your time, patience, and interests you might want to make part
of the trip inland.

Dennis