Connecting through LAX

Old April 13th, 2011, 04:32 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

Default Connecting through LAX

I will be going SJC-LAX on American, connecting to a Cathay Pacific
flight LAX-HKG. Is there a way to make the domestic-to-international
connection in LAX on the air side of security, or will I have the
pleasure of meeting TSA agents at both SJC and LAX?
Old April 13th, 2011, 06:32 PM posted to rec.travel.air
John Levine

I will be going SJC-LAX on American, connecting to a Cathay Pacific
flight LAX-HKG. Is there a way to make the domestic-to-international
connection in LAX on the air side of security, or will I have the
pleasure of meeting TSA agents at both SJC and LAX?

Airside connection at LAX? Ha. Ha, ha, ha. Gasp, choke. Uh, no.

AA arrives at T4. CX leaves from the international terminal. The
terminals are adjacent to each other and it's much faster to walk
than to take the bus because the roadway is one-way the wrong way
and the bus has to go all the way around the airport.

Old April 13th, 2011, 07:34 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

On Apr 13, 10:32*am, John Levine wrote:
*The
terminals are adjacent to each other and it's much faster to walk

Is that safe? My AA flight arrives at about 9:30pm (after dark) and
the CX flight leaves early the next morning. Would it be dangerous to
be out in that neighborhood after sunset? Would I have to schlep my
bags, or is LAX modern enough that they can be checked through? Would
3 hours be enough time to get through security at LAX and make the
connection?
Old April 13th, 2011, 08:32 PM posted to rec.travel.air
John Levine

*The
terminals are adjacent to each other and it's much faster to walk

Is that safe? My AA flight arrives at about 9:30pm (after dark) and
the CX flight leaves early the next morning. Would it be dangerous to
be out in that neighborhood after sunset?

It's not a neighborhood--you'll be in the middle of the airport, with
vast numbers of people around. The two terminals really are next door
to each other. You walk out to where you would get on the bus, and
look to your left and you'll see the other terminal.

Would I have to schlep my bags, or is LAX modern enough that they
can be checked through?

If both flights are on the same ticket, AA should let you check
them through.

Would 3 hours be enough time to get through security at LAX and make
the connection?

It should be. You'll already be checked in, so it's just the security
line.

R's,
John

Old April 15th, 2011, 10:47 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jeff Hacker

"John Levine" wrote in message
[...]

Actually, you might not have to go out at all. First of all, AA and CX are
both oneWorld, so there is certainly no problem with you getting boarding
passes at AA in SJC, all the way through to Hong Kong. AA used to have a
bus inside the terminal 4 connecting with the Tom Bradley International
Terminal because of Qantas' flights; they should be able to tell you if it
still exists - or look at AA.com to see if they are showing anything.

You should have absolutely no problem checking your bags through either.

jeff

Old April 16th, 2011, 04:01 AM posted to rec.travel.air
John Levine

AA used to have a bus inside the terminal 4 connecting with the Tom
Bradley International Terminal because of Qantas' flights; they
should be able to tell you if it still exists - or look at AA.com
to see if they are showing anything.

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...l/en#transfers

The Qantas web site says the airside bus still exists, although it's not
clear whether it's limited to QF passengers.

R's,
John
Old April 17th, 2011, 05:44 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...los-angeles/gl...

The Qantas web site says the airside bus still exists, although it's not
clear whether it's limited to QF passengers.

R's,
John

I need to get a new newsreader. Somehow, I did not see the original
post about this shuttle, but I did see the two replies citing it.

I did a Google search, and I found a post from a few years back where
a Qantas passenger said he took this shuttle from T4 to TBIT, but that
they would not let a Cathay Pacific passenger on the bus to make the
same trip. I hope things have changed since then.
Old April 17th, 2011, 06:44 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Steve Cain

wrote in message

[...]

2008: http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...oom-1111/am/en

Inter-terminal Transfers

Qantas passengers arriving at LAX Terminal 4, who are traveling to Sydney or
Melbourne or New York, can easily and conveniently transfer to TBIT by way
of a complimentary dedicated shuttle service departing from Gate 44. The
shuttle is for same day Qantas connecting passengers and operates daily from
4.00pm to midnight, eliminating the need for repeat security screening.

For other connections, an inter-terminal bus provides free transportation
between all LAX terminals on a regular basis, which can be accessed from the
center island on the Arrivals level from all terminals.

American Airlines connections depart from Terminal 4;
Alaska or Horizon connections depart from Terminal 3; and
Qantas code share flights on Mexicana to Mexico, Air Pacific to Fiji and
Air Tahiti Nui to Tahiti all depart from TBIT

I'd walk rather than circumnavigate the airport in a shuttle.....good to
stretch the legs unless disabled. s