forum for discussing destinations?

Old December 26th, 2007, 02:53 AM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

Default forum for discussing destinations?

Hi all (again),

Neither rec.travel.world nor rec.travel.misc allow posts, and I'm not
sure if this forum is appropriate for discussing destinations for my
RTW trip. But since you've been so helpful, I figure I'd post here,
and if there's a more appropriate forum, I apologize.

This is adapted from an email to one of your usenet mavens, and
thought it might be wise to get several opinions.

Why I'm traveling:
My goal is simply to see different people and different places.
Traveling is easy when you're young, and I want to travel while I can
still enjoy experiences that require some "suspension of comfort." So
I decided that I'd leave my job in late March and start my trip at the
end of April. I'll return in August.

Why I've chosen where I've chosen:
- Israel - I've been, but I love the rich history.
- Egypt - Love the history. The truth is, I'm more interested in
Ancient Egypt than present Egypt. But I get both!
- Africa - I am so ignorant about Africa. That's why West and East
Africa are interchangeable in my head: I want to visit, but I don't
know the first thing about the continent. I have no idea what to
expect. I'd like to see a different culture. I don't know where to
go here.
- India - Were India not so geographically convenient on this trip, I
would not go out of my way for it. The draw is quite simply that over
a billion people live there. That's a lot of humanity. I ought to
visit. I don't know why I'm not as interested in Indian culture.
Hopefully I'll feel differently when I'm there.
- China - A mix of the reasons I want to see Africa (different
culture) and India (human connection). I also have friends there,
which is both fun and logistically convenient, particularly for the
language.
- South East Asia - I've heard such rave reviews from all who've
traveled there.
- South Pacific - Just like Africa. I'd be very curious your opinions
on the locales. I want to see a different culture.
- Australia - I had fun there before, but this is really a stop on the
way to...
- New Zealand - I've had three friends travel here, and they all said
just wonderful things. They were all on higher budgets than I,
though.
- Remote Pacific Island - This is just a little fantasy. No logical
draw, I just want to, and that's reason enough. Thoughts on which to
visit would be great.

I will certainly invest in travel guides once I know where I'm going,
but I'd love to hear your opinions on destination choices.

thanks, and all the best,
Jake