New? Low Airfare Search Sites

Old November 29th, 2004, 09:48 PM
How B

Default New? Low Airfare Search Sites

I haven't checked this group for a while, so this may be old news.
Found a neat new site with great airfare search capabilities,
www.mobissimo.com

Saw it in an L.A. Times article, called "Travel at Web Speed" - "For the
best fares, consumers are going beyond the big three sites to
'aggregators,' which offer themselves as one-stop shops with more choices."

The link is
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...lines-business

(sorry, you may need to cut and paste)

L.A. Times requires registration, but you can use this link to find
passwords to many sites requiring registration
http://www.bugmenot.com/

Two posts in one day, new record lol

Howard B

Old November 30th, 2004, 03:50 AM
Thomas E. Parody

"How B" wrote in message
I haven't checked this group for a while, so this may be old news. Found a
neat new site with great airfare search capabilities,
www.mobissimo.com

Just note that if Southwest Airlines is an option, they are not included
with this airfare search engine.

Old November 30th, 2004, 04:58 AM

"Thomas E. Parody" wrote:

"How B" wrote in message
I haven't checked this group for a while, so this may be old news. Found a
neat new site with great airfare search capabilities,
www.mobissimo.com

Just note that if Southwest Airlines is an option, they are not included
with this airfare search engine.

There is one "aggregator" search engine that picks up airlines such as
SWA, JetBlue, and other economy carriers. That is SIDESTEP (I think at
sidestep.com--do a Google search).

There are 2 downsides with this engine AFAIC: 1) it downloads code that
must run in your PC to do the search; and 2) it will ONLY run with
Internet Explorer (or perhaps MYIE2).

I tried it, and it did indeed find some low fares. However, it only
beat the fares found with mobissimo.com once out of several tries.

Also found it to be a bit clunky, and slow.

HTH

Lakeside

Old November 30th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Thomas E. Parody

wrote in message ...

There are 2 downsides with this (SideStep) engine AFAIC: 1) it downloads
code that
must run in your PC to do the search; and 2) it will ONLY run with
Internet Explorer (or perhaps MYIE2).

I tried it, and it did indeed find some low fares. However, it only
beat the fares found with mobissimo.com once out of several tries.

Also found it to be a bit clunky, and slow.

SideStep is but one of only three search engines that I know that includes
Southwest Airlines. (The other 2 being Cheapflights and American Express.)
I do not find it to be that slow in conducting its search. Certainly not as
slow as Qixo. You are certainly correct in that you can "find some low
fares" with it. In doing a test of various sites, you will find that it
dominates sites that do not include Southwest Airlines, if that airline is a
major player in that specific market. In particular, I like to use
Providence (PVD) to Baltimore-Washington (BWI) as that is a market that is
ONLY served nonstop by Southwest Airlines. It is quite humorous to see
what is returned by sites such as Mobissimo, Expedia, Travelocity, and
Orbitz (among others). As I understand it, your 2 "downsides" will be
eliminated in January when SideStep will introduce the capability of being
run from a web page.

Old November 30th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Mike

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 22:58:35 -0600, wrote:

"Thomas E. Parody" wrote:

"How B" wrote in message
I haven't checked this group for a while, so this may be old news. Found a
neat new site with great airfare search capabilities,
www.mobissimo.com

Just note that if Southwest Airlines is an option, they are not included
with this airfare search engine.

There is one "aggregator" search engine that picks up airlines such as
SWA, JetBlue, and other economy carriers. That is SIDESTEP (I think at
sidestep.com--do a Google search).

You could also try www.itn.net I know it will find southwest fares.
Not sure about the others though.