Use air miles for friend's ticket

Old January 3rd, 2009, 10:38 PM posted to rec.travel.air
spasmous2

Default Use air miles for friend's ticket

I have enough American Airlines air miles to pay for 1 airfare. I
would like to use them to buy a friend a flight somewhere nice. Is it
possible to buy a ticket for someone else using your airmiles? Do I
need to accompany that person?
Old January 3rd, 2009, 11:10 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Hatunen

On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 14:38:09 -0800 (PST), spasmous2
wrote:

I have enough American Airlines air miles to pay for 1 airfare. I
would like to use them to buy a friend a flight somewhere nice. Is it
possible to buy a ticket for someone else using your airmiles? Do I
need to accompany that person?

I've done it with family.

You need to call American and ask.

Old January 3rd, 2009, 11:15 PM posted to rec.travel.air
VS[_1_]

In article ,
spasmous2 wrote:

Is it possible to buy a ticket for someone else using your airmiles?

Yes.

Do I need to accompany that person?

No.

Old January 4th, 2009, 09:53 PM posted to rec.travel.air
VS[_1_]

In article ,
Cyrus Afzali wrote:

I have enough American Airlines air miles to pay for 1 airfare. I
would like to use them to buy a friend a flight somewhere nice. Is it
possible to buy a ticket for someone else using your airmiles?

Yes; AA calls it ShAAre Miles. You will pay a fee per 1K or 10K to
transfer the miles to another person's account, however.

Terrible advice. If you have enough miles, you can book a ticket for
another person from your own account, without transferring miles.

Old January 5th, 2009, 12:32 AM posted to rec.travel.air
spasmous2

On Jan 4, 1:53*pm, (VS) wrote:
In article ,
Cyrus Afzali wrote:

I have enough American Airlines air miles to pay for 1 airfare. I
would like to use them to buy a friend a flight somewhere nice. Is it
possible to buy a ticket for someone else using your airmiles?

Yes; AA calls it ShAAre Miles. You will pay a fee per 1K or 10K to
transfer the miles to another person's account, however.

* Terrible advice. *If you have enough miles, you can book a ticket for
* another person from your own account, without transferring miles.

Thanks all, I finally navigated through AA's awful call center (hint:
say operator until you get a real live person to talk to) and they did
confirm, yes I can buy a ticket with my miles and no I don't need to
accompany. Basically, just what you said.