Radar detector confiscated

Old March 9th, 2005, 03:42 AM

Default Radar detector confiscated

Hi,

I was crossing the border from Canada to NY about 2 years ago(June
2003) and had my radar detector confiscated by a policeman on the
canadian side. I
never paid the ticket.

The issue is I am planning a trip to Montreal for this summer and am
concerned about having problems while crossing the border related to
this unpaid ticket.

Any thoughts???

Thanks all

Old March 9th, 2005, 03:50 AM
Service Tech

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I was crossing the border from Canada to NY about 2 years ago(June
2003) and had my radar detector confiscated by a policeman on the
canadian side. I
never paid the ticket.

The issue is I am planning a trip to Montreal for this summer and am
concerned about having problems while crossing the border related to
this unpaid ticket.

Any thoughts???

Thanks all

All license plates are scanned at the border. You just might get busted.

Old March 9th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Binyamin Dissen

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 23:14:37 -0500 Dave Smith

: I was crossing the border from Canada to NY about 2 years ago(June
: 2003) and had my radar detector confiscated by a policeman on the
: canadian side. I never paid the ticket.

: The issue is I am planning a trip to Montreal for this summer and am
: concerned about having problems while crossing the border related to
: this unpaid ticket.

:Your licence would likely have been suspended and you should have
:received a notice of the fine owing and a suspension notice. Ontario
:has reciprocal agreements with most US states for suspension, including
:suspension for unpaid fines. As far as I know, Quebec has the same
:arrangements. They may not do anything at the border, but if you get
:pulled over for something else, and it has apparently happened to you
:before, they will deal with it.

Even if the alleged offense is not a crime in NY (or wherever his home state
is)?

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com

Old March 9th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Dave Smith

Binyamin Dissen wrote:

:Your licence would likely have been suspended and you should have
:received a notice of the fine owing and a suspension notice. Ontario
:has reciprocal agreements with most US states for suspension, including
:suspension for unpaid fines. As far as I know, Quebec has the same
:arrangements. They may not do anything at the border, but if you get
:pulled over for something else, and it has apparently happened to you
:before, they will deal with it.

Even if the alleged offense is not a crime in NY (or wherever his home state
is)?

The suspension is for the unpaid fine.
FWIW. I heard of a case where a man was convicted for driving with more than .04
BAC in New York State. The legal limit is .08 in Ontario. His licence was
suspended in NY and when they notified Ontario his licence was suspended here,
even though he was within the legal Ontario limit.

Old March 9th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Claim Guy

"Binyamin Dissen" wrote in message
[...]

Are you suggesting that since it's not illegal to have radar detectors in
the US, Canada shouldn't be able to touch you for having one?

In other words - it's okay to commit punishable offences in other countries
and then claim that it's not a crime in the US?

If you commit an offence in a country, you are subject to that country's
laws - remember Midnight Express? If you don't honour the penalty imposed
you are then subject to further recourse as provided for by the foreign
country. In many cases this might amount to nothing because once you leave,
they can't touch you. But, as the poster noted, Canada and most US states
have reciprocal agreements that honour traffic fines between jurisdictions.
Ignore a penalty in one jurisdiction because you think you can get away with
it and you just might find your license suspended in your home jurisdiction.
In effect, the reciprocal agreements make it an offence in your jurisdiction
so there is your answer.

Another alternative is that you might find yourself in trouble when you
return to the original jurisdiction if you have ignored the penalty, even if
your state didn't invoke the reciprocal penalty. I'm not sure what they
could do to you then, but I wouldn't want to find out.

Old March 9th, 2005, 06:21 PM
Binyamin Dissen

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 13:16:09 -0500 "Claim Guy"
wrote:

. ..
: wrote:

: wrote:

[...]

They can't have the government touch you.

Should you return to their jurisdiction they would have the chance.

For example, it is probably illegal in some moslem arab countries to allow a
Jew to live in peace. Should you go to Syria and assist a Jew to live in
peace, the US government will completely ignore the Syrian governments
requests to punish you.

Old March 9th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Claim Guy

"Binyamin Dissen" wrote in message

They can't have the government touch you.

They can have the government "touch you" by means of the reciprocal
agreement. You seem to be interpreting this along criminal lines - perhaps I
shouldn't have referenced "crime". But then again, my comments were still
correct - see below.

Should you return to their jurisdiction they would have the chance.

Not necessary - as noted above for the traffic offences covered by the
agreement and if we want to talk criminal offences, it's called
extradition - another reciprocal agreement.

For example, it is probably illegal in some moslem arab countries to allow

Jew to live in peace. Should you go to Syria and assist a Jew to live in
peace, the US government will completely ignore the Syrian governments
requests to punish you.

A really silly hypothetical argument that doesn't advance your position at
all. If the offence is covered by the reciprocal agreement/extradition
treaty, then you are subject to it. Don't pick out a ridiculous scenario,
that isn't even remotely factual and use it as an exception argument to well
devleoped international law principles.

Of course not every offence is covered, and the US does not have agreements
with every country, but putting forth the arguments you have is proof of
nothing, and completely ignores prevailing circumstances.

Old March 9th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Dave Smith

Claim Guy wrote:

Even if the alleged offense is not a crime in NY (or wherever his home

state
is)?

Are you suggesting that since it's not illegal to have radar detectors in
the US, Canada shouldn't be able to touch you for having one?

In other words - it's okay to commit punishable offences in other countries
and then claim that it's not a crime in the US?

It's probably more of a matter of confusing reciprocal licence suspension with
extradition. In most extradition treaties, the crime fro which the extradition
is being requested must also be a violation of the law in the country from which
extradition is being sought.