Any chance in RyanAir going to offer overseas (USA) connections?

Old October 5th, 2003, 03:06 PM
Casey

Default Any chance in RyanAir going to offer overseas (USA) connections?

Ryanair is more comfortable and spacious (both in width and
legroom) than Air Transat, the charter airline I have used for two
9-hour trips to London.

RyanAir is also more comfortable than riding in the back seat of
any economy car. So what?

I wouldn't fly Air Transat or any cheap airline, because I am
taller than average. Even the major airlines don't have enough
room, but the cheapies are meant for short people.

Casey

Old October 5th, 2003, 06:14 PM

I just checked at BA from London to NYC
Roundtrip cost £ 198. Ok price.
One-way cost £442. Huh??? Wot?

One-way cost MORE THAN DOUBLE! Same flight, same everything.

My point in this is that major airlines lament that they simply cannot lower
prices since fuel, personnel etc- cost are high. That is total BULL! Is there
some sqrewy tax situation involved? No. Price is factored how much people are
willing to be sqrewed.

AJC wrote:

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 16:53:42 +0300, wrote:

I recently read an interesting interview with RyanAir's top exec. He said that
air travel is just a glorified commuter travel, ie. prices are way too high. And
if RyanAir can sell as low as they can (and be profitable) one cannot wonder if
we've all be taking for a ride (no pun intended) previously by other airlines.

In my humble layman's opinion ticket price should be more based on time rather
than distance. If you take a train or bus it cost takes a certain amount of
dollars/euros for a trip taking, say three hours. If you fly on a plane a three
hour haul should it cost about the same? Now it appears that taking a three hour
bus trip cost the same as three hour airplane trip on RyanAir. Other airline
should cut redtape A LOT to reduce ticket prices.

I'll add here that recently I inquired on how much it would cost to fly to Cairo
on (cheapest then) Autrian Airlines. The trip would take me from London to Vienna
and then from Vienna to Cairo. The cost was something like 450 euros.
Thinking I could save some dough using RyanAir to fly to Austria and then use
Austrian Airlines for the remaining leg. To My dismay it exactly the same to fly
from Vienna to Cairo as London-Vienna-Cairo. Now where's the econonomics in that?
A quick roundabout in other airlines www sites turned out same sqrewed price
scenario.

It is perfectly sensible economics. People are willing to pay more for
convenience, comfort, etc. The most convenient, comfortable way from
London to Cairo is a non-stop flight. Austrian were catering for the
segment of the market that will accept the inconvenience and
discomfort of a longer journey with change of flight, in exchange for
a lower fare. For those flying from Vienna to Cairo, Austrian will
cater for those wanting the convenient nonstop flight, and other
airlines, such as Lufthansa, Swiss, Alitalia will give the choice of
lower fares more indirect routings.
--==++AJC++==--

Old October 5th, 2003, 06:31 PM
Miguel Cruz

wrote:
I just checked at BA from London to NYC
Roundtrip cost £ 198. Ok price.
One-way cost £442. Huh??? Wot?

One-way cost MORE THAN DOUBLE! Same flight, same everything.

My point in this is that major airlines lament that they simply cannot
lower prices since fuel, personnel etc- cost are high. That is total BULL!
Is there some sqrewy tax situation involved? No. Price is factored how
much people are willing to be sqrewed.

It may help to look at the big picture.

The airline's concept of "prices" takes into account all the various prices
for different minor variations on the service.

If they lower the one-way fare then they'd have to raise the APEX excursion
fare by a corresponsing amount in order to make up the difference.

miguel
Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.
Old October 5th, 2003, 08:44 PM
Pubic Nair

Jenn wrote:
pricing is based on whatever the traffic will bear

Airlines succeeded *despite* that philosophy. But note that as a whole, the
conventional airlines have not been profitable overall.

Charging exhorbitant rates to a few, and then being forced to fill the rest fo
the plane with pax who parely pay for the costs is not a recipe for success.
And Airlines are hurting big time now.

Prio to 9-11, remember that airlines had begun to hurt because passengers were
either switching to Southwest which didn't have exhorbitant last minute fares,
or starting to plan their trips so that they could use the low fares in the
old airlines. As a result, the old airlines filled their planes with low fare
pax and no high yield pax.

Remember how airlines kept on repeating so proudly that just a few passengers
generated all the profit for a flight ? Well, remove those few passengers, and
you are left with a plane load of pax who don't even pay the full cost of the
flight, and you have United, American, US Airways, Air Canada, TWA, and any
other airline that is suffering badly.

Reduce the gap between the lowest fare and the highest fare and then you have
winning airlines such as Jetblue and Southwest.
Old October 6th, 2003, 06:38 PM
Traveler Google

"Casey" wrote in message link.net...
Ryanair is more comfortable and spacious (both in width and
legroom) than Air Transat, the charter airline I have used for two
9-hour trips to London.

RyanAir is also more comfortable than riding in the back seat of
any economy car. So what?

I wouldn't fly Air Transat or any cheap airline, because I am
taller than average. Even the major airlines don't have enough
room, but the cheapies are meant for short people.

Casey

Air Transat's Club Class would probably work fine, as would the exit
row seats. Ryanair's exit row seats would probably be fine also.

I also found Ryanair equally or more comfortable than Air Canada or
Alaska Air.

Traveler
Old October 7th, 2003, 10:30 AM
Nik

"JohnT" wrote in message

"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message
Howard Long wrote:
If we can assume a proportional relationship between the total trip
distance, and the acceptable distance between nominal and actual
destination, then their NYC airport will probably be Halifax.

Halifax Nova Scotia, or Halifax Yorkshire?

Well, from one to the other.

miguel
--

That would be marketed as London (Leeds/Bradford) to Toronto (Halifax).
The one-way fare would be GBP £0.01 or Euro ¤0.01 with a Credit Card fee

JohnT

15 kg baggage allowance? That much?!!

Nik.